U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,794,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
I've heard this can be the case, but I wondered if that would the case given that I have an MA, since clearly my undergraduate record was good enough to get me in to a master's program.

As for the master's program itself, I imagine I was pretty solidly middle of the pack there. Since you had to get a 'B' to pass a course, and professors were trying to avoid grad inflation, it was pretty rare to get a straight 'A', and I'd venture the vast majority of grads we somewhere between 3.2 and 3.6. Ergo, I don't know if it's something I want to point out.

Thoughts on, um, my thoughts?
I'm not trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. It's just one more piece of data to look at. And possibly a very small piece at that. But, if someone does care about it they are most likely going to either assume the worst or ask you about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,308,124 times
I'm sorry but this is IMO horrible advice. Work experience of a whopping year and a half is NOT going to carry more weight than a VERY GOOD GPA.....which easily describes the GPAs listed above.

YES you should include them. In fact I've known recruiters/HR who even want to see them on resumes with people who have 5, 10, 15 or more years of experience, and because of what manderly said above - ie esp. with almost no experience, not listing it makes employers wonder why it's not listed. It's not like you had a 2.3 or something.

If you don't believe me, talk to some staffing agencies or HR people.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,434,772 times
I never put my GPA on my resume.

I was recently hired at a private investment firm just outside NYC for an entry level data analyst position. GPA never came up. It was all about what I know about things related to the job and what I could do and what I've done at my past employer.

I've interviewed at 3 other companies and GPA never came up there either. One, a retail bank, had me do a pre-interview assignment and that was the major topic at the interview. In my experience being able to showcase in detail what you know and what you've done is the key point.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM

2,370 posts, read 4,502,248 times
I don't care what your GPA is. I care if you graduated, your qualifications for the open position, and if you are a good fit for the company.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:36 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,320,429 times
I heard the rule of thumb is if your GPA is over 3.0, and you've been working less than 5 years put it on.

Depnding on schools that could be a high GPA, I graduated with a 3.5 and was in the top 5%, in private schools grade inflation tends to be much higher. I read once that Harvard and the other Ivey Leaguers have amongst the highest GPAs and state schools like Penn, UT, OU, OSU, FSU, Berkeley, etc have amongst the lowest GPAs.

I guess when your school relies on donations you have a reason to placate students with high GPAs as they would probably be happier, make more due to their astounding GPA helping them get a slightly better job or salary, and then make them more likely to donate, and donate more generously as they could afford it.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM

551 posts, read 1,194,975 times
In my case, I have it on there since I don't have much experience. I had a 3.6 GPA in engineering on top being an officer in several professional industry related organizations. It helps when you're a new graduate and the interviewer is active in the same organizations.

I agree only really high GPA's should be included for those that just graduated or don't have enough experience. Otherwise, it just looks silly.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:27 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,918,909 times
If an interviewer is looking for it, it would matter. I always thought it would matter to me, but when I have interviewed I forgot all about the gpa when reviewing student CVs. I was more interested in whatever research experience they had.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:31 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,320,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If an interviewer is looking for it, it would matter. I always thought it would matter to me, but when I have interviewed I forgot all about the gpa when reviewing student CVs. I was more interested in whatever research experience they had.
What field do you hire for?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,971,299 times
Well for what it is worth, I was being interviewed for a leadership program at work. And since, I was in the midst of my master's program (over half way done now), they asked for my GPA even though I have been employed by my organization for over 4 years at the time.

My GPA is a 4.0 (still is even now), and I never considered putting it on my resume because it is not as if I have not been working for well over 10 years. I was a little shocked at when the program wanted to know what it was.

I have always heard don't put a GPA down unless it is exceptional- I have heard over a 3.6 and others have said only 3.8 or higher.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 AM

12,307 posts, read 18,425,337 times
GPA is irrelevant and possibly damaging, and probably stresses more than anything that you are an inexperienced college graduate, do not put in on a resume. You can put graduation honors - *** laude, magna *** laude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or