U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times

Advertisements

I have another question about an upcoming job interview.

I already have the interview, and they of course asked for me to bring my resume.

Now, should I just bring a plain paper version of it, along with the references?

Or, should I print it on some nicer paper? I have some really nice Parchment paper, that is "Copper", which is a darker beige. Or should I run to the store and get something better?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 PM

206 posts, read 670,566 times
Print it on nice paper, but nothing colored - use white or there may be an off-white, but I would stick to white. I have a box from an office store I'm looking at now - 24lb, watermarked, white, "Exceptional Resume Paper, Southworth". Something like that you can pick up in any office supply store.

You should bring a copy for all people you are going to meet - so if they have said meeting with HR and then the hiring mgr and a peer, bring 3 copies. Every time I have brought them, I've never needed to hand them out as they have their own copies, but you should bring it anyway. Same with references, print on same paper. Most likely you will not be asked for a page of references, but have it along just in case. You may have to put the names on an application.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,226,340 times
Overall, no one's going to hire you because you used nice paper, and its hard to imagine anyone not hiring you because of bad paper either.

But between regular white printer paper, and 'copper' parchment, go for white printer paper. 'Copper' sounds too dark, which will make the text harder to read and won't look good if they need to photocopy for any reason, and parchment paper is too blotchy which also makes it hard to read.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 PM

6,740 posts, read 6,546,204 times
Some 32 pound resume paper is a nice touch. I prefer the ivory/off-white colored over stark white just for aesthetic purposes. You can get get a box of 100 sheets for ~$15 at any office supply store.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Regular White Paper

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM

274 posts, read 909,237 times
getting the "professional" grade paper used to be a thing of the past... that was in the days of going to the employer's site and asking for an application. nowadays with email, i'm surprised they don't just print it out when they interview you. i have yet to experience an interview where they asked me to bring my resume, though i do bring copies of them just in case. so in your case, i would just print multiple copies of your resume on plain ol' white paper.

regarding your references, yes, bring that sheet along and make sure they have the name of the person, their position/title, and cell/work number. i would say at least 2 supervisors and 3 peers should suffice - and for these contacts, make sure you've previously asked for permission to use them as references...

Old 06-17-2010, 09:19 PM

They asked me to bring it and references.

They are opening up a new office in our town, and have flown in for interviews.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,420,732 times
I see lots of resumes. Use Bond Paper. White. Letter Size. Laser Printed.

Southworth® Quality Bond Paper, 8 1/2" x 11", White | Staples®

Old 06-18-2010, 04:34 AM

25,393 posts, read 30,724,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Overall, no one's going to hire you because you used nice paper, and its hard to imagine anyone not hiring you because of bad paper either.

But between regular white printer paper, and 'copper' parchment, go for white printer paper. 'Copper' sounds too dark, which will make the text harder to read and won't look good if they need to photocopy for any reason, and parchment paper is too blotchy which also makes it hard to read.
Why do people don a suit for an interview for a job that allows casual dress? Actually, people and resumes are judged on appearance. Once you're in the interview process it's not likely to make a difference but if you send in a resume with smudges or beat up paper, they're going to wonder why you're not putting your best foot forward or fear that this is your best foot.

Resumes should be printed on the best paper possible and be in the best condition possible when handed to someone. Ditto for business cards. Don't give away a tattered dog eard business card.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.

I ran to Target on my lunch break and picked up some Light Beige Resume Paper and printed the resumes on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search