U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,735,727 times
Reputation: 14583

Advertisements

Is it acceptable to omit a degree from your resume that is not relevent to your job search? I hold masters degrees in both engineering and teaching. I'm looking to get back into engineering. The teaching degree is meaningless WRT an engineering career and, since it's my last degree, no one will be the wiser if I never put it on my resume, however, later on, during the appication process, I may be asked for a complete education history where I would have to disclose the degree. My question is, is it acceptable to simply not list a degree that is not relevent to the job at hand and explain later that you just didn't think it was relevent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Personally I think it is fine to omit it. Although I think it could possibly help.

EDIT: Are you going to have teaching jobs on your resume? It would be kind of odd to have teaching jobs, but not list your teaching degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,735,727 times
Reputation: 14583
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I think it is fine to omit it. Although I think it could possibly help.

EDIT: Are you going to have teaching jobs on your resume? It would be kind of odd to have teaching jobs, but not list your teaching degree.
I will but you don't need a teaching degree to get a teaching certificate. In fact, there are schools out there that don't even require a certificate so it won't look odd. If anyone asks, all I have to admit to is having the certificate, which I could have gotten without getting an ed degree. The only reason I got the degree instead of just the certificate (since I already have a masters) is the requirements were easier for a working student for the degree. The certificate program, pretty much, required you to be a full time student while the MAT program was designed for working adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I will but you don't need a teaching degree to get a teaching certificate. In fact, there are schools out there that don't even require a certificate so it won't look odd. If anyone asks, all I have to admit to is having the certificate, which I could have gotten without getting an ed degree. The only reason I got the degree instead of just the certificate (since I already have a masters) is the requirements were easier for a working student for the degree. The certificate program, pretty much, required you to be a full time student while the MAT program was designed for working adults.
You seem pretty against having people know you have a teaching degree. Just curious as to why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,686,021 times
Reputation: 6233
I don't see the problem... it's not like you're saying you have a degree when you don't. Or job experience when you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,735,727 times
Reputation: 14583
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You seem pretty against having people know you have a teaching degree. Just curious as to why.
I just don't want to show how much time I spent getting that Ed degree. It makes it look like I'd rather be teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I just don't want to show how much time I spent getting that Ed degree. It makes it look like I'd rather be teaching.
So how do you think they are going to view your teaching jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,883 posts, read 42,114,647 times
Reputation: 43291
I'd put it on, shows you can balance work and grad work. Besides, if someone asks your answer can always be that you saw how the engineering/industry was going and you were covering your bases. An ed degree also can get you into designing training programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Is it acceptable to omit a degree from your resume that is not relevent to your job search? I hold masters degrees in both engineering and teaching. I'm looking to get back into engineering. The teaching degree is meaningless WRT an engineering career and, since it's my last degree, no one will be the wiser if I never put it on my resume, however, later on, during the appication process, I may be asked for a complete education history where I would have to disclose the degree. My question is, is it acceptable to simply not list a degree that is not relevent to the job at hand and explain later that you just didn't think it was relevent?
A resume is not the same as a job application. You could list only the items that are relevant to the job that you are applying to but be prepared to list other stuff if the application requires a more thorough history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Something else to consider on resumes that isn't aimed at the OP. Don't put yourself in a position where if you get hired you have to watch what you say because something on your resume wasn't accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top