U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM

35,203 posts, read 32,168,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
Reading this thread was very depressing. Some of you are being incredibly judgmental and cruel.

Here's my story: I'm underweight and always have been. For almost my entire life I've been able to eat whatever I want, in whatever quantity I want, without gaining a pound. Even though I try to eat healthy most of the time, I have a major weak spot for certain kinds of junk food and probably consume more calories than I ought.
And yet, looking at me, you wouldn't know any of these things. I have never been subjected to accusations of "weak" or "no self-control," even though my diet is probably a far sight worse than many determined overweight folks who are trying to lose weight.
Am I "better" than overweight or obese people? Simply because I lucked out with my genes?

Oh, and...I have a back injury from kickboxing that, as yet, no one knows how to fix, and maybe no one will ever know how to fix. If I could afford it I'd be in PT several days per week. I've been to tons of doctors, undoubtedly driving up costs. I have been feeling very grateful to have health insurance. And standing for too long, or moving around all that much, is incredibly painful for me, and difficult to do.
Am I "better" than overweight or obese people? Even though right now I have many of the same physical limitations as they do? Even though I'm using my insurance a lot? I'm skinny, so everything I do is fine, right?

I used to fall prey to the "fat = lazy" mindset, but I educated myself, and now I see the situation for what it is: an ENORMOUS number of factors coming into play in our society. (GMO food. Agricultural subsidies. Food deserts. School funding. Education. Economics. Politics. I wrote my master's thesis on this and could go on for days. Don't get me started.) Personal responsibility does play a role, but it is not even close to what most of you seem to think.

I may not ever have to deal with discrimination for my diet choices and my physical limitations like an overweight person does, and I am grateful for that, but I don't kid myself for a second that this is because I'm somehow superior to anyone else. No, it's just more like people make excuses for my choices and limitations because I am outwardly "normal," but are happy to point fingers at those whose bodies are larger than mine. Disgusting.

It's called compassion, caring for other beings, and "there but for the grace of God [or whatever you believe in] go I." Maybe some of you can give it a try.
Compassion isn't one of the qualifying factors for hiring people. Well, not if you want a successful business. We can feel "sorry" for someone all we want but I wouldn't be hiring people who are a risk because that would put my job at risk as a hiring manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
The only depressing thing about this thread is that someone (who is not a very tall professional athlete with 3% body fat) has allowed themselves to weigh 360 pounds. While there might be medical reasons for a very, very few people to be overweight, there is no medical reason for a 5'5" female to weigh 360 pounds, and frankly she has no one to blame but herself for her situation. It costs ZERO to take a walk or to borrow an exercise video from the library.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,772,650 times
180 fine---- 200 lbs - passable if you have the frame and frame mind to carry the weight well...240lbs.....you are pushing it--------------360lbs. You might be able to do the job but others will find you difficult to look at. It's just too big.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM

92 posts, read 234,474 times
True.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,040,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The only depressing thing about this thread is that someone (who is not a very tall professional athlete with 3% body fat) has allowed themselves to weigh 360 pounds. While there might be medical reasons for a very, very few people to be overweight, there is no medical reason for a 5'5" female to weigh 360 pounds, and frankly she has no one to blame but herself for her situation. It costs ZERO to take a walk or to borrow an exercise video from the library.
Someone who has been unemployed for over a year has plenty of time to exercise, even if it is just working out at home with dvds borrowed from the library.

I wouldn't want a super morbidly obese person representing my company.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Someone who has been unemployed for over a year has plenty of time to exercise, even if it is just working out at home with dvds borrowed from the library.

I wouldn't want a super morbidly obese person representing my company.
I regularly borrow exercise DVD's from the library to try new things. I own half a dozen or so of them, but it's nice to mix it up. Cost so far this year? $.20 in late fees.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,040,287 times
Maybe it isn't PC, but when you walk into an office and see a short, 360 pound employee the first impression that is going to pop into your mind is "FAT!!"

That is not the impression I want my customers to have of my company.

As HR, I would consider that and also the fact that a super morbidly obese employee would be unhealthy and could increase our health insurance costs.

Not a chance I would hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or