U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,679,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
My hugely overweight friend who can not get a job has tried every diet in the world and has never had much luck. Her poverty makes it worse because she can not afford good food now.
Yeah right. Because bags of chips, doughnuts, and soft drinks are so very cheap.

That's a crock - a carrot doesn't cost more than a doughnut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,470,472 times
god really did screw us over with the doughnut tasting better than the carrot thing...

Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
A facility that has stairs with no alternative is not ADA accessible and an employer that hires on the basis of whether or not the employee can go up and down those stairs is just asking for a lawsuit. You might as well have a bullseye on your forehead.
I once lived in a town where the stripper club was shut down because there was no wheelchair ramp to the stage in case they hired a disabled stripper.

Of course strip clubs clearly do discriminate, they discriminate based on gender and looks and physical disability all the time.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:44 AM

2,212 posts, read 6,343,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I once lived in a town where the stripper club was shut down because there was no wheelchair ramp to the stage in case they hired a disabled stripper.
Stupid town. I'd imagine the market for wheelchair bound strippers is pretty small. Of course if you're looking for an excuse to shut down the strip club it makes sense.

Silly in some ways though, a town near me has a couple of strip clubs and they are the two biggest taxpayers in town.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 AM

8,778 posts, read 16,772,722 times
Quote:
What my hugely overweight unemployed friend will not accept is that companies do not hire only based on technical skills but instead strongly consider the applicant's image and personality. She has got more and more mean and bitter since she lost her job, gains more weight and continues to be rejected. Instead of working on her communications skills and weight, she is spending all her energy on improving her technical skills. She knows Microsoft Office at the expert level and types super fast but none of those things matter as much to the potential employer as her incredible size and angry personality.

With healthcare costs/insurance premiums still being a nightmare, the employers are going to avoid hiring people that are potential liabilities. She'll probably have to look at per diem(i.e.: no benefits) type jobs until she gets her weight down a bit.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM

9,985 posts, read 11,953,561 times
The truth is : When you are carrying around 400 extra pounds it DOES cause you to be short of breath. Breathe harder..

The other truth is : The job description says : Are you ABLE to do the following ? : Lift , bend , turn , stoop down , carry , for THIS job requires you to do it. ( keeping in mind the ADA rules )

If she were offered a desk job its because she could sit at a desk ,

If she were offered a Pro Wrestler job its highly unlikely she could do what a Pro Wrestlers body can do.

If she were offered a nude dancer job and most of the dancers were size 5 unless she was wanted for a BBW club she probrobly would not be hired at most Gentlemen's Clubs...

She needs to lose the bitterness , get some counseling because her weight gain IS emotional eating...and get on a movement program and start eating more F and V's....

Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Stupid town. I'd imagine the market for wheelchair bound strippers is pretty small. Of course if you're looking for an excuse to shut down the strip club it makes sense.

Silly in some ways though, a town near me has a couple of strip clubs and they are the two biggest taxpayers in town.
Yes it was for the purpose of shutting them down, some group realized the stripper club had no ramp for employees to the stage so had them sued for discrimination. Obviously strip clubs are allowed to discriminate when hiring so I guess it was a technicality but it worked.

Back to the OP's question, one problem is that whenever you hire someone 360 pounds who can't lift anything, can't help put stuff away, can't bend over and all the usual things, you require the skinny people to do extra work.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
god really did screw us over with the doughnut tasting better than the carrot thing...
It's sort of a matter of choice. One can convince himself that the carrot tastes better. Or once you give up the junk food -- which isn't cheaper at all because it's not food, it's wasted money and empty calories, then you lose your taste for them.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,699,265 times
Well the problem is that back in the day, high calorie foods like the Big Mac would have been a godsend. A calorie-dense meal with all three macronutrients for a few dollars (although back in the day you probably woudl have traded sea shells or something like that).

Old 06-20-2010, 04:25 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,343,894 times
Quote:
What my hugely overweight unemployed friend will not accept is that companies do not hire only based on technical skills but instead strongly consider the applicant's image and personality. She has got more and more mean and bitter since she lost her job, gains more weight and continues to be rejected. Instead of working on her communications skills and weight, she is spending all her energy on improving her technical skills. She knows Microsoft Office at the expert level and types super fast but none of those things matter as much to the potential employer as her incredible size and angry personality.
What you are describing is someone in a downward spiral. The loss of her job meant the loss of much of her social network as well as self esteem. The longer this has gone on, the greater her depression. Plenty of unemployed here have described feeling helpless and low. Throw in the weight gain and lack of personal care and she is heading down.

I have to agree with Annerk upthread where she mentioned that your friend needs a support system. She NEEDS people around her to provide a grounding. She needs someone to go walk with her, have meals with her and allow her to feel that she isn't alone. She really needs good friends right now.

I don't know how much time you have as a friend to do this, but perhaps you can find others to help reach out to her or groups you could suggest, be they faith or social service or volunteer based depending on her personality and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or