U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,697,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am in no position to hire anyone
thank god for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,433,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
thank god for that
Any response to what I actually said? Or are you just going for personal jabs?

Is there something wrong with a business trying to minimize health care costs? Or don't you care about a business being responsible with their money?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,767,728 times
obese people are the most discriminated group. When you are lets say Polish, you can go with the Polish, when you are Catholic you can go with the Catholics, when you are FAT, nobody wants you. Its terrible but true. Obese men really do not want to date or marry obese women. Obese women dont really want obese men. Really I have seen this over and over and over again. WHen you are OBESE, unless the interview or hiring person is OBESE, you will not be hired. Sorry but its the truth. Now I once went on an interview, the women in the office were all in the 250 lbs club and up. Me I was at that time 117lbs. I did not get the job. They were all eating and I was not going to be in the eating crowd. It works actually both ways. So the thing is to find a job centered around food. Ever notice in the supermarkets alot of obese people working???? Obese people have a knack for finding jobs that center around food and that would not be a bad route to go. Sorry if I offended anyone but I was offering a suggestion that may help. Tell your friend to try something in the food business.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Any response to what I actually said? Or are you just going for personal jabs?

Is there something wrong with a business trying to minimize health care costs? Or don't you care about a business being responsible with their money?
Would you also not hire people who go tanning? Who drive motorcycles?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Would you also not hire people who go tanning? Who drive motorcycles?
No - I have picked two things that are medically proven to be linked to higher health care costs. I can't win every battle, so I have picked a few of the big health care risks (obesity and smoking). Ideally I would not hire people who go tanning or ride motorcycles, but I have to pick my battles.

Again - what is your problem with a company trying to minimize health care costs? Stop avoiding my question!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM

No problem per se, I just wasn't sure if you're one of those people who thinks all fat people and smokers should be round up and shot whilst turning a blind eye to all the other things that put a person's health and life at risk. Evidently you're not seeing as how by your own admission you also wouldn't hire tanners or motorcyclists if you could.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 11,949,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
In actual fact, the overweight expend MORE energy with LESS exercise than their "skinny" counterparts. The overweight have MORE to gain faster from exercise.

Most (even mildly) overweight persons have become adept at minimising their energy expenditure. They tend to "conserve" their activity. Slender people tend to MOVE more. As always, the only "secret" is to eat LESS and move MORE, pretty simple really.

As far as being discrimination in hiring, last time I looked being obese was not a "protected class".
Actually : with a post on what he calls “fatism” (or discrimination against the overweight).
Conventional wisdom says that with the exception of the morbidly obese, obesity is not a characteristic protected by the anti-discrimination laws. Indeed, in 2006, the 6th Circuit said as much in EEOC v. Watkins Motor Lines [PDF], holding that “to constitute an ADA impairment, a person’s obesity, even morbid obesity,
must be the result of a physiological condition.”

Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No problem per se, I just wasn't sure if you're one of those people who thinks all fat people and smokers should be round up and shot whilst turning a blind eye to all the other things that put a person's health and life at risk. Evidently you're not seeing as how by your own admission you also wouldn't hire tanners or motorcyclists if you could.
I admit you have a valid point, however idealism never works in real life. I just picked a few major causes of health issues. Far fewer people die from overexposure to tanning beds than from complications surrounding being overweight!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Quote:
I admit you have a valid point, however idealism never works in real life. I just picked a few major causes of health issues. Far fewer people die from overexposure to tanning beds than from complications surrounding being overweight!
Also, how is an employer to know if a candidate uses tanning facilities or rides motorcycles anyways?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,791,721 times
I just pictured a morbidly obese person getting stuck in a tanning bed, rolls coming out of everywhere. Thanks for the visual, now my day is ruined!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or