U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
 
154 posts, read 460,981 times
Reputation: 110

Advertisements

When I worked as a Recruiter in the hated Human Resources Department, we use to get all kinds of resumes from executives in the company from people like you that hated HR. So they would try to work around us and send their resume to a corporate executive of the company who was on some type of list of the Internet. Unless that executive had a person relationship with the person that resume was just sent to us anyway. The applicant thought they had beat the system by avoiding us "idiots" in Human Resources but no dice.

One of the purposes of a recruiter in a Human Resources Department is to save the time of the hiring manager from the thousands of unqualified applicants. Sure, us HR types don't make the hiring decisions but we have lots of power in the final decision. Where the hiring manager really likes us is to keep the unqualified and desperate applicants from bothering them.

Regardless, affirmative action and EEO rules require someone in Human Resources keep track of all applicants who apply anyway and the hiring manager does not have time for to track them and send in all the government reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
This thread aptly demonstrates why I refuse to apply for any job through an HR department. Complete waste of my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,739,901 times
Reputation: 458
Not everyone works in sales, marketing, and advertising. Screening criteria vary by occupation.

My resume doesn't contain any of those broad statements, but I have seen job descriptions like these. I have also encountered employers and recruiters who insist on a word-for-word match, along with statements to the effect that resumes without them will be tossed. It's unfortunate, but automated screening and laziness are a growing trend. For some positions (such as government jobs) this is due to "KSAs", as I posted earlier.

Last edited by nomore07; 07-02-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,272 posts, read 18,953,170 times
Reputation: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
It is amazing how resumes all start looking alike after awhile! Here are the most common statements on the resumes I am reviewing for an Administrative Assistant position:

Great oral and written communications skills
Proficient In Microsoft Office
Eagar and willing to work hard
Excellent interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational skills
Quick Learner
Hard Worker
Team Player
Great Background

What do you think other hiring managers think when they see these statements on resumes?
Glad mine isn't in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,370 posts, read 12,792,776 times
Reputation: 10319
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
When I worked as a Recruiter in the hated Human Resources Department, we use to get all kinds of resumes from executives in the company from people like you that hated HR. So they would try to work around us and send their resume to a corporate executive of the company who was on some type of list of the Internet. Unless that executive had a person relationship with the person that resume was just sent to us anyway. The applicant thought they had beat the system by avoiding us "idiots" in Human Resources but no dice.

One of the purposes of a recruiter in a Human Resources Department is to save the time of the hiring manager from the thousands of unqualified applicants. Sure, us HR types don't make the hiring decisions but we have lots of power in the final decision. Where the hiring manager really likes us is to keep the unqualified and desperate applicants from bothering them.

Regardless, affirmative action and EEO rules require someone in Human Resources keep track of all applicants who apply anyway and the hiring manager does not have time for to track them and send in all the government reports.
See, now I know you are a liar. You have never hired at the executive level before... nice try, but you tried to sell your BS to someone who actually has an executive-level position. HR people have NO say in the hiring of executive level people, other than to verify resume facts and explain benefits. HR people are POWERLESS when it comes to hiring anyone at my level. (And I am a low-level executive at that!) That's why I don't waste my time talking to anyone like you... if you are even an HR manager (which I seriously doubt). I just hope the younger and more naive posters don't fall for your ridiculousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 04:33 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,739,901 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I strongly recommend that you read up about resumes. Monster.com has lots of good articles and templates.
Since you've never seen mine, there is no need to be condescending. I've been in my field for 16 years and have written a few.

There's no point in blaming others for a poorly written job description. Perhaps it should be rewritten if you're not satisfied with the resumes being submitted. Expectations should be communicated clearly since nobody is going to read your mind. Resumes are written to summarize past experiences, not to make a screener's job easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Yes, your resume needs to have a link to the needs of the position advertised. I am just saying that you should sell the organization on your background, skills, and talents by giving examples of why things that they are asking for is true.
This is normally done in a cover letter or discussed during an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
When I worked as a Recruiter in the hated Human Resources Department
Exactly why were they hated? That's not typical. It sounds as though you'd be happier in another company or career

Last edited by nomore07; 07-02-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,627,576 times
Reputation: 26533
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
It sounds as though you'd be happier in another career
Maybe something where she actually has something to do since one of her biggest whines is that she has nothing to do at work and thus can afford to use all that spare time sending emails 12X daily to her married friend and contributing endlessly during working hours to CD forums ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,739,901 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Not quite. That's only true of relatively inexperienced people. If you're an even moderately experienced person (multiple jobs etc), the accepted (and unwritten) limit is 2 pages. In fact, it's a rare "very senior person" who can have a worthwhile resume that's only 1 page, given that in this day and age when people often don't stay at jobs for more than a few years; even squishing it to 2 pages is hard. But of course it all depends on the specifics.

"KSAs" are basically unheard of in the private sector, except in a very general/broad sense. Leave it to the gov't to take something simple and obvious and write 100,000 words about it.
Agreed, one page may be good for a recent grad, but is not enough to cover a background with any significant experience.

KSAs are mostly a government thing, but some bureaucratically inclined companies will screen in a very similar manner. Perhaps some of their hiring managers came from public sector or military jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
MBAs? I'm thinking more like people who couldn't hack it in sales, or got tired of flipping burgers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe something where she actually has something to do since one of her biggest whines is that she has nothing to do at work and thus can afford to use all that spare time sending emails 12X daily to her married friend and contributing endlessly during working hours to CD forums ...
The OP may be working in a dysfunctional organization or just inexperienced. There was some mention of being in "hated HR"

In most companies where I've worked, detailed skillset screening was left to someone with a background in that field. Most professional HR staff understand that completely customizing an entire resume for each position is not always feasible. I suppose this varies by occupation, sector, and company size.

Last edited by nomore07; 07-02-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM
 
154 posts, read 460,981 times
Reputation: 110
Default What on earth are you talking about?

What are you talking about? HR is very strongly involved in the screening of unqualified applicants. We also sit in and have a significant say in the initial screening of the first set of interviewees. Yes, at the final set the hiring manager makes the final decision. But most people who apply have to make it through HR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
See, now I know you are a liar. You have never hired at the executive level before... nice try, but you tried to sell your BS to someone who actually has an executive-level position. HR people have NO say in the hiring of executive level people, other than to verify resume facts and explain benefits. HR people are POWERLESS when it comes to hiring anyone at my level. (And I am a low-level executive at that!) That's why I don't waste my time talking to anyone like you... if you are even an HR manager (which I seriously doubt). I just hope the younger and more naive posters don't fall for your ridiculousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2010, 07:02 AM
 
2,196 posts, read 2,116,853 times
Reputation: 3905
We did away with our HR staff after years of hiring absolute incompetent people. We now have one woman who's whole job is to separate and order resumes and then send them to their appropriate departments. The department then determines who they want to see.

Unbelievable that our HR determined hiring status by "how pleasant they sounded on the phone!" WTF! You're hiring men to do a dangerous demanding job. Sounding a little irked are just who they are. Nothing personal. I only say this because I worked hard to get one of the best guys in my trade, a freak show in his own right at what he knows and does, into my company. Turns out his resume was tossed because some pre-pubescent, pimple faced, low self esteem twit thought he sounded "pissy" on the phone.

She's gone now and lesson learned. What must be realized is "the best" in a trade do not need a job, they're just looking for a little better situation...but it is not to the point where kissing someone's butt is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,370 posts, read 12,792,776 times
Reputation: 10319
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
What are you talking about? HR is very strongly involved in the screening of unqualified applicants. We also sit in and have a significant say in the initial screening of the first set of interviewees. Yes, at the final set the hiring manager makes the final decision. But most people who apply have to make it through HR.
Give it up. If you have in fact done any hiring at all, and that's a big if, hiring at the administrative level is all you have done. You have absolutely no experience when it comes to senior level positions. You know it, I know it, and so does anyone else who has an extensive professional background who has read this thread.

I think it is time for you to make yet another thread saluting your ego. But for the next one, stick to a topic about which you can be more authentic. Your attempt at pumping yourself up as our resident HR expert has failed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top