U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:18 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,788,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Well of course it's a good quality, but it's something that should go without saying. Do you think saying "I hate people" would look good on a resume?
Then that should also be true of job descriptions. But it isn't. I see no problem at all using these phrases if the job description also uses these phrases.

The important thing is to also give concrete examples of these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,247,818 times
Default New world

I've heard anyone who sends in a resume instead of bringing it to an in person meeting is automatically marked "fool" and doesn't get the job?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,303,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't see anything boastful about these statements. If they are so boastful then why do so many employers post these very same requirements in their ads?
I agree - if the OP is seeing these phrases a LOT on submitted resumes perhaps they should go back to their original ad wording for the reason?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,243,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Things are so slow at work that they want to hire me an assistant. I would not present a 360 pound applicant to my boss. Or people whose resume is full of empty statements.
Pardon, but why would they want to hire you an assistant if things are so slow at work? Doesn't make sense.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM

154 posts, read 460,235 times
Promote on your resume examples of where you accomplished things on the job due to the mentioned positive traits, just saying them blindly does not help anyone. Every resumes has the statement, "strong written and oral communications skills" People who look at resumes eyes glaze over when they read this for the 1000th time. Instead show the reader why the statement is true.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,303,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Pardon, but why would they want to hire you an assistant if things are so slow at work? Doesn't make sense.
I wasn't going to mention that lol. Maybe because they can train while it's slow?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I wasn't going to mention that lol. Maybe because they can train while it's slow?
I too let that slide because I thought that maybe the OP was talking tongue in cheek. Hey, what can I say, I'm English and grew up on Benny Hill and Monty Python.

But it doesn't make sense at all. The OP emails her married penpal 12X daily and additionally posts average 9X/day on CD and who knows on what other forums as she's only been a CD member for one month ...

She's admittedly bored at work because there is no work to do but she's now looking over resumés to hire an Administrative Assistant to help her with all the non work? And she has this other thread going on on this forum, about the obese woman looking for a job ...

She consistently fails to return to the point and I can only repeat what I said earlier that I have a suspicion that there is an odor emanating from underneath a bridge, as in troll alert.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 PM

2,370 posts, read 4,501,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's not enough to simply list what you did at past jobs. What I'd want to see is how your employer benefited from what you did for them. Did you improve some process of theirs? Did you find a way to save them time or money? Did you help them win a new customer? These are the kinds of things I would look for. Most people just give a list of what they did. The problem with that is you leave it to the reader to figure out how and if your employer benefited from that. Given that most people spend less a minute reading your resume, you don't want to do what everyone else does. You want to make it clear to me why my company would be better off with someone like you on my team.
I didn't write an entire resume. Of course you should list how you benefitted the companies you worked for. My post was meant to point out substitutions for the BS terms inquired about in the OP.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:39 PM

2,370 posts, read 4,501,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
While it's generally understood that employers want team players, in my field of IT it's often necessary to explicitly say so. I've run into a number of IT workers who are brilliant, but terrible at working with others. In fact, they resent having to work with others because they see their peers as being dumber. They would rather just take over the whole project and have their own way. You'd think these people would be flushed out of the industry, but surprisingly, many employers hire them precisely because they're so smart. By putting "team player" in your posting, you're basically sending a message to these people. Don't bother applying.
Oh God this is just so true.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,752,842 times
I think such statements should be backed up in some manner. I also have a blurb about oral and written communication skills in my resume, but I also mention that I recieved ratings of "Superior" for oral and written communication skills in my last service school academic evaluation report.

Same thing with saying you are familiar with MS Office; I will be taking the certification exam for Access this Friday. If I pass I will mention my familiarity with Access and my certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or