U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM

6,611 posts, read 11,305,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Job descriptions in some companies are vague and ambiguous. HR staff and recruiters demand resumes which are a perfect match for these descriptions.
^^^ This is exactly the point...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM

154 posts, read 460,285 times
Default Sell it to me don't tell it to me!

Then give examples in your resume that show you have the things below, but don't just state it, give examples of results and accomplishments that show it to be true.

Quote:
Job descriptions in some companies are vague and ambiguous. HR staff and recruiters demand resumes which are a perfect match for these descriptions.

The following were pulled from technical job listings which did not indicate any other skill requirements:
  • We are currently seeking highly motivated and skilled individuals who are problem solvers and great team players.
  • The successful candidate must be professional and articulate, interpersonally adept, a relationship builder.
  • Provide input and participate in strategic planning sessions.
  • Help define and establish common and advanced functions.
  • Demonstrated success in independently applying a broad knowledge of effective development practices and principles to develop and implement key campaign programs and support.
  • Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment with accuracy and commitment to high standards of quality.
  • Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and internal/external customer service skills required.
  • Self-motivated and team-oriented individual with the ability to drive results across departments.
  • Must be able to establish and develop strong relationships with departmental leaders and champion teamwork.
  • Ability to work well with diverse populations and in a team environment both inside and outside of the building.
  • Must be proactive and strive for continuous improvement.
  • Proficient in MS Office use; significant excel and database expertise.
  • Provides long term recommendations and solutions for the ongoing enhancement of support operations.
  • Provide upward and lateral communication and coordination that sufficiently addresses expectations and project status.
  • Make recommendations to ensure that current and future needs are met.
  • Develop, document, and implement policies and procedures.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,458,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Then give examples in your resume that show you have the things below, but don't just state it, give examples of results and accomplishments that show it to be true.
Maybe it's time to stop flogging the dead horse and create a new thread.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,395,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
All those catchphrases are just "fluff", but as long as employers keep USING them in their ads, applicants WILL keep using them in their responses.

Better that employers start to actually say what specific skills.experience THEY need for the position at hand, rather than themselves taking the lazy way out to ad writing.

Just my .02
You are exactly right! Anyone trolling through postings on a job site or even Craigslist will get the impression that the ads are being cut and pasted. Some places even scan the resumes to look for those fluff words so if they aren't there, the resume gets a pass before a live person ever sees it. People who are engaged in a lengthy job search don't feel as though they have any options but to put in the precise language that the companies are utilizing in their ads. I am as guilty as the next person of doing that. When I was unemployed last year I would even copy the job ad and put it at the top of my responding email to be sure that I hit all the targets (and then would erase it before I hit SEND.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 AM

804 posts, read 1,737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Many companies are disregarding resumes which are not a verbatim match.

It's a trend that job seekers are frequently reminded of, possibly the result of automated screening, laziness, or bureaucracy.

Where are these resumes coming from, is there any initial screening? "Sell it to you"? Are you hiring sales staff?

Last edited by nomore07; 07-02-2010 at 01:49 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 04:28 AM

154 posts, read 460,285 times
Default Your resume is a sales (marketing) document

I strongly recommend that you read up about resumes. Monster.com has lots of good articles and templates.

Yes, your resume needs to have a link to the needs of the position advertised. I am just saying that you should sell the organization on your background, skills, and talents by giving examples of why things that they are asking for is true.

Here is an example of selling vs telling:

SELL IT TO ME, DON’T TELL IT TO ME!
It is very important that you provide details on your experience and accomplishments on your resume that promote your background effectively. Here are samples of job descriptions converted into accomplishment statements:

Telling: Negotiated purchasing and service agreements
Selling: Structured and negotiated over $22M in annual purchasing contracts and service agreements with suppliers nationwide.

Telling: Managed growth in the company’s Western US markets
Selling: Closed $200M in sales (125% of quota), building Western Region to #1 revenue producer in the company.

Telling: Improved classroom performance
Selling: Re-designed core curriculum, created new instructional materials and improved student’s test scores by 15%.

Telling: Supervised accounting and monthly financial reporting
Selling: Managed a staff of 12 responsible for daily accounting operations, monthly financial reporting, special projects and year-end reconciliations.

Telling: Managed daily office operations
Selling: Streamlined the cost of daily office operations by 20%, consolidated reporting functions, and implemented the transition and training of staff to a new cost effective PC software program that expedited order processing.

Telling: Proficiently used Microsoft Word for general correspondence
Selling: Typed, edited and proofread correspondence, memos, brochures, advertisements and presentations using advanced skills in Microsoft Word.

Quote:
Many companies are disregarding resumes which are not a verbatim match.

It's a trend that job seekers are frequently reminded of, possibly the result of automated screening, laziness, or bureaucracy.

Where are these resumes coming from, is there any initial screening? "Sell it to you"? Are you hiring sales staff?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,453,706 times
For employers who don't want to see those things on resumes:
Imagine us employees having to see it on job ads. That's all we ever see. We see that you want a team player. We see that you want a team player. We see that you want a team player. That guy over there? He wants a team player. The Big League Corporation yonder? Needs a team player. And that little ma and pa meatshop looking for a cashier? They want a team player.

You, the employers, have INSTRUCTED us to add these things to our resumes. If you don't want me to put "team player" on my resume, then stop asking for a team player.

Edited to add: I'm not a team player. I work best independently. I can't stand the whole team player mentality, and further, I don't particularly even like the catch-phrase itself. Give me my tasks, put them on my desk, tell me what you need done, and then go away and leave me alone. If I have questions, I'll come to you with them. Otherwise, just go away til I'm done and tell you so. If you want a team, hire the Yankees.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:37 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,308,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Unless you are a very senior person, it is recommended to keep your resume to one page.
Not quite. That's only true of relatively inexperienced people. If you're an even moderately experienced person (multiple jobs etc), the accepted (and unwritten) limit is 2 pages. In fact, it's a rare "very senior person" who can have a worthwhile resume that's only 1 page, given that in this day and age when people often don't stay at jobs for more than a few years; even squishing it to 2 pages is hard. But of course it all depends on the specifics.

Quote:
Some employers require an exact match of "KSAs" which must be listed on an application or resume. It can be something as simple as "sitting or standing for 8 hours", but if it is not listed, the candidate will not be considered. This is common in federal and state government jobs, but it happens in the private sector as well.
"KSAs" are basically unheard of in the private sector, except in a very general/broad sense. Leave it to the gov't to take something simple and obvious and write 100,000 words about it.

Quote:
This is what happens when screening is turned over to generic MBA types who have no experience in the relevant field. They are looking for a word-for-word match.
MBAs? I'm thinking more like people who couldn't hack it in sales, or got tired of flipping burgers.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM

7,370 posts, read 12,767,656 times
This thread aptly demonstrates why I refuse to apply for any job through an HR department. Complete waste of my time.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,456,702 times
I actually don't have empty boastful statements on my resume, but in my cover letter they're present as bullet points, sometimes slightly reworded. The meaningful action statements are on my resume. Based on the position I'm applying for, I pull from one of these statements to frame a brief narrative around, which then goes into the cover letter as well. In the narrative, which is sometimes a sentence or two, sometimes a paragraph or two, again depending on the position and nature of the work, I provide an example based on one of those meaningful action statements I chose earlier showing what I liked about the job, my particular strengths, accomplishments, and unique set of skills, and how I was an asset to my last employer, sometimes suggesting, other times stating explicitly how I'll be an asset to this potential employer, too. This method has worked very well for me in the past. I get a decent response now, although admittedly it's been working a little less well now that the economy is in the tank, jobs are scarce, and competition is fierce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
This thread aptly demonstrates why I refuse to apply for any job through an HR department. Complete waste of my time.
Good point. I don't either. I only submit cover letters and resumes to companies with a face!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or