Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM

860 posts, read 2,196,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Well when job announcements ask for vague things like "be a team player" or the things you wrote above, how can you blame the applicants for putting it in their cover letter?
By stating specific examples. If you were a project team member with successful results, then you can build upon that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,814,079 times
Putting "i'm a team player" on a cover letter or resume is very weak in my opinion.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,807,485 times
not to mention untrue, Grasshopper?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,839,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
She consistently fails to return to the point and I can only repeat what I said earlier that I have a suspicion that there is an odor emanating from underneath a bridge, as in troll alert.
You took the words out of my mouth...could be the same schizophrenic poster who now assumes a new persona (changed the style, no longer baiting, etc.)...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Putting "i'm a team player" on a cover letter or resume is very weak in my opinion.
Grasshopper, of course it is in your opinion because that would be a fib in your case. But if you're "professionally" advising such to those poor unfortunate misfits you're trying to put back into the workplace, you might also have the perspicacity to realize that your own shortcomings shouldn't be included in your guidance but rather used as an example of "how not to ...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
not to mention untrue, Grasshopper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You took the words out of my mouth...could be the same schizophrenic poster who now assumes a new persona (changed the style, no longer baiting, etc.)...
Stick around here long enough and they just disappear and then pop up again a few months later with a different handle. The schizophrenics and the bipolar sufferers who go off their meds have a blast here and their phases can almost be counted on. Fascinating!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,814,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Grasshopper, of course it is in your opinion because that would be a fib in your case. But if you're "professionally" advising such to those poor unfortunate misfits you're trying to put back into the workplace, you might also have the perspicacity to realize that your own shortcomings shouldn't be included in your guidance but rather used as an example of "how not to ...".

Stick around here long enough and they just disappear and then pop up again a few months later with a different handle. The schizophrenics and the bipolar sufferers who go off their meds have a blast here and their phases can almost be counted on. Fascinating!

Like I said, I wouldn't advise anyone to use team player because it's a weak way to market yourself for a job. I encourage people to focus on things about themeslves that are not seen often on resumes,

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,988,214 times
[quote=marcopolo;14716677]Try using this resume:

"Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. "

If you had written, "I don't perspire while wearing my original line of corduroy evening wear," I'd hire you on the spot - with a BONUS!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,018,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
It is amazing how resumes all start looking alike after awhile! Here are the most common statements on the resumes I am reviewing for an Administrative Assistant position:

Great oral and written communications skills
Proficient In Microsoft Office
Eagar and willing to work hard
Excellent interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational skills
Quick Learner
Hard Worker
Team Player
Great Background

What do you think other hiring managers think when they see these statements on resumes?
Well, aren't those the qualifications you see the most often in advertisements for Administrative Assistant jobs? Wouldn't you think it odd if you saw qualifications that were totally UNRELATED to the position that people are applying for?

Cooks muffins

Isn't going to get you the job, now is it?

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 AM

154 posts, read 525,129 times
Just saying these things are true is ineffective. Nearly everyone will say these thing. What I am recomending is to give examples of accomplishments in your resume that show the traits below are true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, aren't those the qualifications you see the most often in advertisements for Administrative Assistant jobs? Wouldn't you think it odd if you saw qualifications that were totally UNRELATED to the position that people are applying for?

Cooks muffins

Isn't going to get you the job, now is it?

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM

154 posts, read 525,129 times
This article says exactly what I am saying:

The Savvy Networker- Yahoo! HotJobs (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-experts-10_phrases_that_can_sink_your_resume-115 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search