U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM

12,031 posts, read 16,773,933 times

Advertisements

Also, was your resume tailored to the job posting? You might indicate that you are qualified in a way that a human would understand, but you need to use the precise language used in the posting.

Particularly for government resumes, I copy and past the qualifications directly into my application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,247,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
WTH ?
I just commented on this in another thread.

People who send in resumes are being marked as fools without any creativity in them. So they don't get the job.

If your best idea is send a resume, you're not top-notch.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:35 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,319,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post

People who send in resumes are being marked as fools without any creativity in them. So they don't get the job.

As opposed to what? The fact is that most jobs involve a resume at some point, for many the resume is all they have, especially if they don't have many contacts in their area or field.

Disregard Rich's comment, he is dead wrong, sending a resume is normal, and it's fine.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:40 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,242,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post

So what are the people who are being marked as good candidates sending in? Cupcakes? Rolex watches? LOL.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
Okay,
I submitted my resume and then second later I received a message saying that I do not meet the requirements. WTH ? I qualify for the job and I have no idea why I got the rejection message within few seconds.

Anyone else experiencing this ?
I get messages from Wyndham International on a very regular basis telling me to apply for *such and such* a position. Sure enough, I do and a week or so later, I INVARIABLY get an email that tells me I am not qualified for the job - which I totally am qualified for. LOL

I wonder how much money is wasted on idiots who don't have a clue what they are doing in Human Resources. Bunches, I think.

The way I look at it is that I wouldnt' want to work for any company that is THAT CLUELESS. So you are better off whether you realize it or not.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So what are the people who are being marked as good candidates sending in? Cupcakes? Rolex watches? LOL.

You'd be surprised how many send in suggestive photos. You would think that I'm running a modeling agency or something worse.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,692,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Also, was your resume tailored to the job posting? You might indicate that you are qualified in a way that a human would understand, but you need to use the precise language used in the posting.

Particularly for government resumes, I copy and past the qualifications directly into my application.
You know the hiring system is stupid when you've got a better chance of getting past the machines by copying and pasting the qualifications vs. typing down your qualifications in your own words.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM

12,031 posts, read 16,773,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
You know the hiring system is stupid when you've got a better chance of getting past the machines by copying and pasting the qualifications vs. typing down your qualifications in your own words.
It is incredibly stupid. If I email the resume to a hiring manager or am using the resume through a referral, I use my own words. If it's going through a computer system, I make sure I use the exact phrases for every single one of the qualifications. The government is the most picky about it.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 AM

55,668 posts, read 74,637,859 times
the reason employers have gone to robot interviews and automated call centers is bek its hard to file an EEOC grievance against a machine.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,247,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
... involve a resume at some point ...

Disregard Rich's comment, he is dead wrong, sending a resume is normal, and it's fine.
At some point yes, but blasting resumes is frowned upon. At the least a person should have the name of an employee at the company that is hiring and send their resume to that person.

Sending a resume is a thing of the past. If you don't believe me ask some CEO/COO/CFO's they'll explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or