U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM

874 posts, read 1,470,960 times

Advertisements

Idealist is a job website for non-profit institutions.

I think it's likely that it's an automatic thing. I would still do the thank you letter. You never know for sure unless you get the letter.

I'm sorry it happened to you though if it was a rejection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Apply again.

Just kidding. But that would be kind of funny.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,232,772 times
Send the note, at the very worst you can apply for a position at the same company some time in the future. Especially if it is a place where you would like to work.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Below (in red).........I DON'T THINK SO!! I have no patience with people who have NO consideration for my "job searching".
You interviewed that afternoon and found the job "re-posted" that same afternoon. There is no indication if the job posting was a repost or if it was a pickup or "continued until" type posting. We're not even talking the next week or even the next day, but a few hours later. If it was me, because I wouldn't know why or how the job opening came to be showing, I personally would not assume that they made any decission and I'm still a candidate. I would continue as if I still had the chance and would never assume that just because a job I interveiewed a couple of hours ago was showing up that I wasn't in the running.

But if you feel that they presence of that ad mean the company has NO consideration for your job searching, go right ahead and call them and tell them. If it means that much to you and upsets you that much, don't just get pee'ed off and vent here, call them and give them a piece of your mind. Now if it turns out the repost was just an automatic thing, and you were the front running candidate, at least they will find out now that you lack patience and comprehension.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 15,232 times
Er, for what it's worth, LoveBoating wasn't the OP, it was me.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM

63 posts, read 235,231 times
Default Job postings can appear months after a position is closed

You should just send the thank you and wait to see if you hear anything. In the meantime, keep up the search and stay positive. For most of us it takes a lot of darts to finally hit a bullseye.

With today's technology, a posted position can appear on multiple websites for an extended period of time. There are sites called "aggregators" that sweep various sources on the web for listings. These aggregators don't always capture a listing's expiration date or the validity of a source. Data can appear in different places. Remember, it is a computer that is making a decision about what to post.

The most accurate place to view whether a position is closed or not is on a company's website. However, even that can be flawed. Usually the HR department opens and closes positions and those positions appear on the company's career site. If the business unit has made a decision and not yet communicated to HR, or if HR is slow for whatever reason, the company's site can end up being inaccurate.

Do not take any of this personally. I can almost guarantee that seeing a a position posted several hours after you interview has no relevance to the outcome of your particular interview. The process does not move that fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or