U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,236 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview at a small non-profit this afternoon that I thought went very well - the interviewer really seemed to like me, I had all the experience she was looking for, etc. In fact, it went well enough that I really thought that she might offer me the job on the spot. Then she said that they still had to interview a few other candidates and that she didn't know how long it would take to make a final decision.

I got home, sent a thank-you email, and was just about to send a handwritten thank-you note as well when I decided to skim job postings on Idealist and saw that the job had been re-posted. So now I'm in limbo - is this pretty much a sure sign that I didn't get the job, or is it common for job posters to keep advertising for resumes just in case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,502,891 times
Don't read into it too much. Protocol. Thank you note, continue looking for work, and follow up. There's no way to really know.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,840,456 times
I don't know what Idealist is, but I wonder just how fast a job could be reopened. Maybe they put in the request before your interview.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,585,593 times
I think they turned you down. It's very unprofessional not to send a rejection letter, but unfortunately, many companies don't care. There's still a chance that they may hire you, but I think it's over.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,896,013 times
Where did you see the reposting?
If on thier website, they may keep it posted for a set period of time or they decided your not the person. As for a rejection anything, it's only a few hours, what do you expect!
If it was on another site, it could have been a delay or picked up posting.
But seriously, have a bit of patience.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM

418 posts, read 1,206,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnh2010 View Post
I had a job interview at a small non-profit this afternoon that I thought went very well - the interviewer really seemed to like me, I had all the experience she was looking for, etc. In fact, it went well enough that I really thought that she might offer me the job on the spot. Then she said that they still had to interview a few other candidates and that she didn't know how long it would take to make a final decision.

I got home, sent a thank-you email, and was just about to send a handwritten thank-you note as well when I decided to skim job postings on Idealist and saw that the job had been re-posted. So now I'm in limbo - is this pretty much a sure sign that I didn't get the job, or is it common for job posters to keep advertising for resumes just in case?
Yes, it happened to me and I was pretty mad. Mine was after 3 interviews and a "We will DEFINTELY call you back" I never heard from them again.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:52 PM

7,342 posts, read 16,671,683 times
Below (in red).........I DON'T THINK SO!! I have no patience with people who have NO consideration for my "job searching".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Where did you see the reposting?
If on thier website, they may keep it posted for a set period of time or they decided your not the person. As for a rejection anything, it's only a few hours, what do you expect!
If it was on another site, it could have been a delay or picked up posting.
But seriously, have a bit of patience.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM

7,342 posts, read 16,671,683 times
It's no wonder that people who turn 62 are applying for their SSI (retirement) instead of waiting til the later age for the higher amount!!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,270,226 times
I would be pretty surprised if they actually made a decision about you AND got the ad reposted on any website within just the few hours that you saw it. I think it is more likely that they paid for a 'self-renewing' ad that reposts with a new date every day or week, automatically.

Even if this is an indicator that they rejected you, send the thank you anyway.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,324,027 times
What's a stamp cost now? 46 cents? If that's what you like to do after interviews, go ahead.

I personally think that just email is fine. It's kind of standard at this point, but if you feel that that sets you apart do it!

The fact is that you never know why that happened, and you may never. Just act like you never saw that and hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or