U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM

17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
How does an interview "run over" more than the briefest of time? And how does an HR dept not have SOMEONE answering the phones? That's just HR slugs and their mindless incompetence at work again. I swear they must hire people right from the fast food services half the time. Frankly you're probably better off.
This is how things are handled today, very rare you run into anyone who acts professional anymore.

How about when someone arrives at the interview and it is clear the person or persons running the interview haven't bothered to review the resume, or don't even bring a copy of the resume with them so they can ask the job candidate questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM

490 posts, read 1,600,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because you want to work.

If I based my job search on their timeliness, I wouldn't have a SINGLE lead after 7 months. It's unfortunate, but my 2nd and 3rd interviews have all come from companies that were at least half an hour late in calling me for the phone interview. I wonder if companies feel like they can get away with this because the economy is so bad? It puts an awful taste in my mouth.
Companies are getting away with horrible things nowadays. They have gone totally rogue and unprofessional. Human Resources has the word "Human" in front of it yet they act like animals. They don't care about anything or anyone but the corporation if that. You spend your money interviewing and they take a month or more just to say no. I just went to an interview last week. It took me one hour preparation and 1.25 hours round trip. My interview lasted 15 minutes and I had to face two people at once. One of them abruptly left the room because something was going on. It was horrible. I could go on...I don't think I can take this much longer. I am experienced, have a degree, willing to take a pay cut...what else do they want? I am ready to call it quits and give up.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This is how things are handled today, very rare you run into anyone who acts professional anymore.

How about when someone arrives at the interview and it is clear the person or persons running the interview haven't bothered to review the resume, or don't even bring a copy of the resume with them so they can ask the job candidate questions.
They ask for the resume without caring that the candidate may not have a job and that resume paper is expensive. They write all over it and sometimes even dare to ask for a second copy. Then, they never call you back for seconds or follow up. I have my degree written on my resume. Every interview I go they ask me the same question: do you have a degree? What computer programs do you have fluency on? Have you ever order supplies? Can you get the supplies out of the box and count them? Jerks.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 PM

358 posts, read 948,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why on earth would you want to work for a company which is so disorganized that it can't even ensure that it's telephone lines are manned and answered professionally? If they can't even manage to have that done I hate to think how the rest of their business is run!
I agree with this statement.

I understand that it isn't like this for every job, but whenever I see a job ad that says a fast-paced environment, I often take it as a disorganized environment.

And I need organization, not necessarily structure, but things to be in order.

I had a job in December that was described as "fast-paced", but it really was just completely disorganized. It would have taken several months to get the entire office organized with how files and desk space was placed and to streamline processes. And the people who worked there weren't organized themselves, so it was like swimming upstream.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
They ask for the resume without caring that the candidate may not have a job and that resume paper is expensive. They write all over it and sometimes even dare to ask for a second copy. Then, they never call you back for seconds or follow up. I have my degree written on my resume. Every interview I go they ask me the same question: do you have a degree? What computer programs do you have fluency on? Have you ever order supplies? Can you get the supplies out of the box and count them? Jerks.
What I meant was a resume is emailed to them well in advance of the interview, yet it is clear in the interview they haven't even bothered to review it so they know who they're talking to.

They come in(sometimes without the copy sent to them) and have to quickly look at it, when they should have taken some time to review it on their own so they can conduct a real interview.

It defeats the purpose of the interview and is a waste of time.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What I meant was a resume is emailed to them well in advance of the interview, yet it is clear in the interview they haven't even bothered to review it so they know who they're talking to.

They come in(sometimes without the copy sent to them) and have to quickly look at it, when they should have taken some time to review it on their own so they can conduct a real interview.

It defeats the purpose of the interview and is a waste of time.
I am with you and I know what you meant. I was just adding to that.
What you describe has happened to me a million times. They even yawn while reading it!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM

343 posts, read 952,961 times
The most annoying thing is you interview for a job and don't get an answer if you got it or didn't get it for a month a more. That's crazy. I heard years ago you were hired or denied quick.

Or how about going on like 3 or more interviews for one job. Really? I can see 2 rounds at most, but anything more then 2 rounds and you shouldn't be hiring people.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,471,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I was supposed to have a phone interview today at 10 am. I didn't go into work this morning because of this, and wanted to make sure to do well. 10 am comes around, and no call. I figured they are probably running late. I also start second guessing myself and thinking "maybe it was 10:30 am". 10:30 comes around, still no call. I try to call the number they called from for the initial contact, but get a busy signal. At this point, I start to get my things together and go to work. In the car, I call two more times, only to get a busy signal. I then look at my phone and have two voice mails from exactly the same time as I just tried to call, but yet my phone never rang and I had full service. They tell me things went late with the other interviews and to call them to interview. I try to call, and get the same busy signal. When I get to work, I send an email explaining the problem I had reaching them on the phone, let them know I am still interested and leave my contact information. I also call a few more times throughout the day, and still get the same signal. Finally, before leaving work today, I get through to their office and the secretary transfers me. I get the voice mail and leave a message. I have received no response to my email or voice mail, and at this point I figure I'll move on.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I don't want to sound like an ass, but this really felt as if it wasn't my fault but now I probably screened myself out. I tried calling from my cell phone and work phone and still got the same busy signal. In fact, the phone would ring about 15 times and then cut to it. It's hard enough trying to get jobs or even interviews nowadays, and when things like this happen it is very frustrating.
Find out what features you have on your phone. Dialing #66 will keep trying to call a busy phone number, and will alert you with a special ring, then connect you to the line when it becomes available.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
The most annoying thing is you interview for a job and don't get an answer if you got it or didn't get it for a month a more. That's crazy. I heard years ago you were hired or denied quick.

Or how about going on like 3 or more interviews for one job. Really? I can see 2 rounds at most, but anything more then 2 rounds and you shouldn't be hiring people.
I posted about that on another thread. I actually went to an interview and they even ran my background/references and made wait a month to decline me. The time I lost is really hurting. On another interview, I had to go twice, one of them for just 20 minutes. Six weeks later, I just get a cold email that the role has been filled. Hiring managers have gone rogue.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM

12,058 posts, read 16,795,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Understood but in this case it does sound as though the OP called many times during the course of a day and the phone was "busy" at all hours. I think that's a lot more unprofessional than a company rep being half an hour late in calling for a 'phone interview.
Some other things that have happened on phone screens involve interviewing with another entry level person in the position I was applying for who had only been on the job 2 weeks (and therefore could not answer any of my questions- I knew more about the industry than he did), a conference call where I was interviewing with 4 people who were all on one speaker phone, and one where they began interviewing me for a completely different position.

3 years ago, I'm sure I would have been in the position to immediately end the interviews, but today most of us have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or