U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM

168 posts, read 380,615 times

Advertisements

I was supposed to have a phone interview today at 10 am. I didn't go into work this morning because of this, and wanted to make sure to do well. 10 am comes around, and no call. I figured they are probably running late. I also start second guessing myself and thinking "maybe it was 10:30 am". 10:30 comes around, still no call. I try to call the number they called from for the initial contact, but get a busy signal. At this point, I start to get my things together and go to work. In the car, I call two more times, only to get a busy signal. I then look at my phone and have two voice mails from exactly the same time as I just tried to call, but yet my phone never rang and I had full service. They tell me things went late with the other interviews and to call them to interview. I try to call, and get the same busy signal. When I get to work, I send an email explaining the problem I had reaching them on the phone, let them know I am still interested and leave my contact information. I also call a few more times throughout the day, and still get the same signal. Finally, before leaving work today, I get through to their office and the secretary transfers me. I get the voice mail and leave a message. I have received no response to my email or voice mail, and at this point I figure I'll move on.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I don't want to sound like an ass, but this really felt as if it wasn't my fault but now I probably screened myself out. I tried calling from my cell phone and work phone and still got the same busy signal. In fact, the phone would ring about 15 times and then cut to it. It's hard enough trying to get jobs or even interviews nowadays, and when things like this happen it is very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
I'd chack my phone if I recsived voice mails and no ringing on it.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,239,591 times
I certainly hope they reschedule with you. Because even if you had been able to get through to them, they were running so late that you may not have been able to participate. They shouldn't expect every applicant to just be sitting at home all day waiting for them to call.

But yeah, I'd probably assume the worst and move on.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,305,709 times
How does an interview "run over" more than the briefest of time? And how does an HR dept not have SOMEONE answering the phones? That's just HR slugs and their mindless incompetence at work again. I swear they must hire people right from the fast food services half the time. Frankly you're probably better off.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM

168 posts, read 380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I certainly hope they reschedule with you. Because even if you had been able to get through to them, they were running so late that you may not have been able to participate. They shouldn't expect every applicant to just be sitting at home all day waiting for them to call.

But yeah, I'd probably assume the worst and move on.
Yes, the fact of the matter was I was not going to be able to participate at that time as I had people to meet with at work at 11:30. It bothers me because this job was in the area I am trying to relocate to and probably would have been a better paying job than my current one. At this point, I'm moving on and looking for other options. If all else fails, in December I'm relocating to go back to school and get in a better career field.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,743,419 times
Something similar happened to me. I called and left a message as I was on my way out of town and said "Our appointment was at 8 it is now 9 and I have to leave for the airport. I am very interested and hope to reschedule.".

They called later that day saying they were very interested, but then never called back. I am so tired of dealing with this craziness.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 AM

4 posts, read 7,929 times
There could be many reasons for that. If your profile is very good and the company liked it very much then they will reach to you anyway but If they are getting lots of applicant resumes every day, they may neglect you. This is not in your hand. call them once, if they are interested they will call you back, else move on.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Why on earth would you want to work for a company which is so disorganized that it can't even ensure that it's telephone lines are manned and answered professionally? If they can't even manage to have that done I hate to think how the rest of their business is run!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM

12,030 posts, read 16,771,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why on earth would you want to work for a company which is so disorganized that it can't even ensure that it's telephone lines are manned and answered professionally? If they can't even manage to have that done I hate to think how the rest of their business is run!

Because you want to work.

If I based my job search on their timeliness, I wouldn't have a SINGLE lead after 7 months. It's unfortunate, but my 2nd and 3rd interviews have all come from companies that were at least half an hour late in calling me for the phone interview. I wonder if companies feel like they can get away with this because the economy is so bad? It puts an awful taste in my mouth.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because you want to work.

If I based my job search on their timeliness, I wouldn't have a SINGLE lead after 7 months. It's unfortunate, but my 2nd and 3rd interviews have all come from companies that were at least half an hour late in calling me for the phone interview. I wonder if companies feel like they can get away with this because the economy is so bad? It puts an awful taste in my mouth.
Understood but in this case it does sound as though the OP called many times during the course of a day and the phone was "busy" at all hours. I think that's a lot more unprofessional than a company rep being half an hour late in calling for a 'phone interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or