U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,367 times

Advertisements

What's your biggest pet peeve about using resume writers or just putting a resume together yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,303,749 times
The fact that I need to.

OK actually it's having to constantly tweak, re-tweak and re-re-re-tweak it for various jobs. What a ROYAL freakin pain. Also having to keep proof-reading it 100,000 times because God forbid I have so much as one extra space or period where it shouldn't be.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 16,761,808 times
The tweaking. I currently have at least 50 copies of resumes on my hard drive that are tailored to jobs I have applied to. The difference between one and another might only be 3 keywords, but it supposedly makes a difference so I do it.

Also, formatting. As a recent grad who studied abroad in 3 different countries on 3 different programs(and yes, it does matter for the jobs I'm applying for), my education section is quite large. While I will edit after my first job, for right now education needs to be the center point. It can be really hard to make sure everything fits on one page because between 4 education entries and 4 jobs (all office jobs/ internships) that are quite different, while still showing that I had leadership roles on campus. I would take off at least one of the office jobs, but then I run into people who claim they won't hire recent grads who didn't work through college.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM

850 posts, read 1,370,209 times
What your resume has to do

Your resume must communicate what makes you uniquely qualified to help your target employers – and it needs to do it in a way that quickly grabs the attention of busy readers (and gets found in automated computer systems).

Notice that I said ‘uniquely’ qualified. You should have a blend of skills, experiences and personality traits that make you different from every other professional applying for the same position. Your resume must convey what makes you uniquely you, and must quickly communicate this message in a way that busy executives/recruiters can easily digest.

In short: Your resume must tell a unique and compelling story rather than simply recite facts.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,393,139 times
I heard a weird little thing about doing your resume. It was suggested that because having the right key words in a resume can determine whether it gets read, you should copy the job description and paste it at the bottom of your resume in a tiny, tiny font and color it white. That way it won't show on the printed page (or the electronic one either) but will register with the scanners looking for buzz words. Don't know if this is worthwhile at all but it is very interesting nonetheless...

Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I heard a weird little thing about doing your resume. It was suggested that because having the right key words in a resume can determine whether it gets read, you should copy the job description and paste it at the bottom of your resume in a tiny, tiny font and color it white. That way it won't show on the printed page (or the electronic one either) but will register with the scanners looking for buzz words. Don't know if this is worthwhile at all but it is very interesting nonetheless...
Interesting idea ... Of course I have no wiggle room to even contemplate doing this.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,303,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
What your resume has to do

Your resume must communicate what makes you uniquely qualified to help your target employers – and it needs to do it in a way that quickly grabs the attention of busy readers (and gets found in automated computer systems).

Notice that I said ‘uniquely’ qualified. You should have a blend of skills, experiences and personality traits that make you different from every other professional applying for the same position. Your resume must convey what makes you uniquely you, and must quickly communicate this message in a way that busy executives/recruiters can easily digest.

In short: Your resume must tell a unique and compelling story rather than simply recite facts.
That's your pet peeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
aw who told my secret yep have done that, although I backed off when I found/heard that some systems or people will find/see that text and it doesn't sit well for some reason. You think they'd appreciate the resourcefulness!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,117 times
Default Best Tool for Creating/Enhancing Resumes

So, I've been duped by so many resume writing services and have spend upwards of $200 on them that I really just want to share what I've learned so that not everyone goes through it like I did.

Out of all of the extensive resume sites that I've used and tested, the best from personal experience is cvee.me/

It has helped me tremendously and I highly recommend that you at least check it out. Best of luck to everyone!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:28 PM

874 posts, read 1,471,285 times
I think my biggest pet peeve is the difficulty in trying to communicate exactly what you want to say with limited space and in a certain format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search