U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,520,314 times

Advertisements

You have to judge for yourself, and decide what your priorities are.

Are you willing to work for people who will violate your rights before you ever even get an interview for a job there? Even if it's "just the DOB?"

If you're willing to do that, how about if they're requiring to know your social security number?

What if it's a company that had an employee leave his laptop at Starbucks one day, and had it stolen, and that laptop contained private information about employees on the hard drive? Would you be willing to supply your personal identification information to a company who has already experienced this situation once, before even getting an interview with them? (the newspapers have stories about places that've experienced this - Stop and Shop had their computers hacked at one point and my information was among some of the stuff that the thieves had access to, along with thousands of other employees).

This kind of thing happens, you can't prevent the occurrence. However, the ONLY way you can protect yourself, is to not allow them to have the information in the first place, UNLESS they have an actual need for it. No company has a need for your social security number, unless they are in the process of adding to or withdrawing from your social security funds. And prospective employers don't do that. Current employers do. That's why you have to give that info for job agencies. They need the info on file because THEY are your employer of record - not the place where they send you to work.

Now that insurance companies have stopped using peoples' SS# as id numbers, and created their own ID numbering systems, you don't even need to put your SS# on forms when you go to the doctor. They'll still have a slot for it on the form. But they don't DO anything with that number once you give it to them. All it does, is provide thieves with one more place to acquire it. You tell the secretary at the desk that no, you're not giving the doctor your SS#, he doesn't need it for anything, your insurance number is right there on line 4 and they have a copy of the insurance card.

Your SS# is what identifies you to the social security administration. No one else needs to know this number, unless you are making a transaction that might affect your relationship with the social security administration. Examples are current jobs, which pay into the fund. Your bank account, which is required to keep records of your financial existence and report tax information about you to the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,489,745 times
With all other qualifications met, of course. Anyone who would not is discriminating based on age, and that is a legal violation.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM

7,342 posts, read 16,673,877 times
I really don't get what you are saying here! I'm 61 years old, so that means I've been employed for quite a number of years and should know what employment agencies and companies ask for in filling out an online app and/or filling out an app in person. When an employment agency interviews a person in their office, they always ask for the Drivers License and Social Security Card for verification purposes. This happens BEFORE you are even sent out to interview with their client. Now, a company doing their own interviewing for a position (not using an agency) will not ask for a person's SS# until they are hired. Then they will make a copy of both the DL and the SS card. But, as far as a person's DOB, it may not be asked for directly, but dates of high school can be asked and a DOB sure can be figured out from that. I was in the Navy during Nam and have job-related experience from that, but I sure can't put the Navy on my resume. If I did, I'd have to leave the dates off and then I'd take the chance of being asked the dates during an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You have to judge for yourself, and decide what your priorities are.

Are you willing to work for people who will violate your rights before you ever even get an interview for a job there? Even if it's "just the DOB?"

If you're willing to do that, how about if they're requiring to know your social security number?

What if it's a company that had an employee leave his laptop at Starbucks one day, and had it stolen, and that laptop contained private information about employees on the hard drive? Would you be willing to supply your personal identification information to a company who has already experienced this situation once, before even getting an interview with them? (the newspapers have stories about places that've experienced this - Stop and Shop had their computers hacked at one point and my information was among some of the stuff that the thieves had access to, along with thousands of other employees).

This kind of thing happens, you can't prevent the occurrence. However, the ONLY way you can protect yourself, is to not allow them to have the information in the first place, UNLESS they have an actual need for it. No company has a need for your social security number, unless they are in the process of adding to or withdrawing from your social security funds. And prospective employers don't do that. Current employers do. That's why you have to give that info for job agencies. They need the info on file because THEY are your employer of record - not the place where they send you to work.

Now that insurance companies have stopped using peoples' SS# as id numbers, and created their own ID numbering systems, you don't even need to put your SS# on forms when you go to the doctor. They'll still have a slot for it on the form. But they don't DO anything with that number once you give it to them. All it does, is provide thieves with one more place to acquire it. You tell the secretary at the desk that no, you're not giving the doctor your SS#, he doesn't need it for anything, your insurance number is right there on line 4 and they have a copy of the insurance card.

Your SS# is what identifies you to the social security administration. No one else needs to know this number, unless you are making a transaction that might affect your relationship with the social security administration. Examples are current jobs, which pay into the fund. Your bank account, which is required to keep records of your financial existence and report tax information about you to the federal government.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,316,787 times
Like the people doing the paperwork have a clue in most cases. I've had so many arguments with idiots that can't READ the I-9 employment verification form which clearly states a document from List A OR a document from List B AND list C - but noooooooo, they "know" you need a document from all 3 - unfrigginbelievable

Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,673,877 times
Boy is this true!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Like the people doing the paperwork have a clue in most cases. I've had so many arguments with idiots that can't READ the I-9 employment verification form which clearly states a document from List A OR a document from List B AND list C - but noooooooo, they "know" you need a document from all 3 - unfrigginbelievable

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,612,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one gets my social security number until there's a job offer. I won't work for a company that requires it online, I won't apply online with anyone who insists I put it in there. It's none of their business, UNTIL it's their business. And that doesn't happen, until they've accepted me as an employee.
Many companies do not give you an offer until a background check has been done. A background check requires a SSN among other things, so you are definitely missing out on offers right there. I just filled out one, but I work for the largest bank. The levels of security are so redundant, you lose track of the so many passwords at each level.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,853 times
NEWSFLASH: Its a violation of federal law to refuse to hire someone based on age.

If I were a hiring manager, I would be concerned about skills and experience for the position. Not age. I would hire an older person if they had the skills for the job. I would also hire a young person, but if they are going to spend all day chatting away on MySpace and Twitter, socializing at work, talking on the phone, coming into work hung over from boozing it up all night long, then they can get lost.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneKniff View Post
NEWSFLASH: Its a violation of federal law to refuse to hire someone based on age.
Of course it is but proving it happened is something else again.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,726,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Of course it is but proving it happened is something else again.
Words of wisdom my internet friend, words of wisdom. Not hiring for being too old, being too fat, being a smoker, being pregnant, etc. all fine and good to make law but in such a nebulous decision making process as hiring it's almost impossible to prove.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM

Which is why the oft given advice upon receipt of a rejection to ASK "for future reference, why wasn't I hired" is pretty much pointless. They are NOT gonna tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or