Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 PM

222 posts, read 230,974 times

Advertisements

funny thread. Age discrimination will never go away. It's part of being human. Over 65? Accept your decrepitude gracefully. Of course this doesn't mean you shouldn't be employable...

65 is not the new 55 or the new 45, it is the same old 65. Denial is a river

disclosure: I'm a young 60
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,913,894 times
Heck yeah. The 60+ candidate will probably stay longer than the millennial, and that's coming from a borderline millennial/Gen Xer.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,559,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Heck yeah. The 60+ candidate will probably stay longer than the millennial, and that's coming from a borderline millennial/Gen Xer.
I see a lot of 60+ people getting jobs at places like convenience stores, gas stations, home centers and similar places where part-timers and high turnover is common, and replacement is easy. For an employer that needs continuity, over 60 is often taken as a short timer, with retirement looming within 5-7 years. When experience is critical, especially in top management, an older person may be intentionally brought in. The oldest person I have hired recently was 57, and of the 30 or so people (all younger) that I interviewed, she was the only one that I would have hired, the rest met the minimum requirements on paper but really didn't have the skills and experience to do the job. At that age I figured we would possibly get 8-10 years.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:28 AM

88,259 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My father was in HR/high level management for years and one thing he taught me is that discrimination will always be alive and well. The real reason you aren't offered the job will never be written down on that piece of paper/computer file. All the rejected applicant will ever hear is some politically correct HR Doublespeak that works hard to say nothing relevant. Employers know how to hire as they please with no repercussions. They know how to protect themselves.

Of course people don't get hired because of their age. Part of the problem is perception in the media. I'm surprised people aren't up in arms about this one. I may be old but my bladder doesn't leak and I don't have erectile dysfunction. I have yet to fall and not be able to get up. I don't hobble to the doctor seeking every new wonder drug on TV. My life is not a litany of regrettable medical needs and conditions. I can still run so no, I haven't visited the Scooter Store. No, I don't need diabetic or incontinence supplies delivered to my home in plain brown boxes. I have never used Sea Bond either. This is what the media is telling all these 20 somethings about older people. It's pretty hard to dissuade these beliefs with a one page resume. Why take a chance on me when they can hire someone without all these problems?

Wisdom comes with age and they aren't old enough to have all this figured out yet.
This post is hilarious. So true.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM

16 posts, read 14,413 times
Our organization, a huge hotel corporate office, does not hire anyone over 60 unless they are really connected. In the whole office of nearly a 1000 employees there is only a handful of people over 60 and they generally are only in the senior management jobs. Once someone gets to be over 55 they will make life so difficult for them they will quit or get fired. The older worker does not fit in our chic corporate culture.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,993,789 times
I hired somebody who is over 60 last week. She was a well qualified individual who will be able to contribute almost immediately.

Yes, I will have to rehire for this position in 5 or so years. That's ok, the job will be taken care of until about 2020.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,494,495 times
I'm 62 and looking for another job to relocate out of CT. I work for the state and I'm getting an 8.5% raise next September, too! I was talking to a guy who's been retired from a big tech firm back here. He hired a guy 62. He said the reason was (1) he knew the job, (2) he WASN'T looking to stay forever, and (3) older workers do their job and don't engage in office politics.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM

29,464 posts, read 22,444,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRGEN View Post
Our organization, a huge hotel corporate office, does not hire anyone over 60 unless they are really connected. In the whole office of nearly a 1000 employees there is only a handful of people over 60 and they generally are only in the senior management jobs. Once someone gets to be over 55 they will make life so difficult for them they will quit or get fired. The older worker does not fit in our chic corporate culture.
Nice to know that stories like these only reaffirm how pervasive age discrimination is, how employees get away with murder constantly, and how useless age discrimination laws are.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:31 AM

30,540 posts, read 18,021,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I hired somebody who is over 60 last week. She was a well qualified individual who will be able to contribute almost immediately.

Yes, I will have to rehire for this position in 5 or so years. That's ok, the job will be taken care of until about 2020.
And, given that this is a longer period of time than you probably could've expected a younger person to stay in the job (I read somewhere that younger workers move around quite frequently and tend not to stay with a company for more than 2-4 years), you likely made a good hire.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,190 times
Hi, I am a 61 year old female, just lost my job, so very hard to find another one. I have put in so many applications, I think I have applied with every company in the city. Years of work experience, still strong minded, good health, and just want to want. Do not want to sit at home, when I am able to work, I think if you are able to work, want to work, and need to work you should not be shut out because of your age. Shame on the companies that age discriminate, cause one day they to will grown old, and you never know they to might need someone to give them a chance to work. Older worker are your best worker, because they are so graceful and loyal just to have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search