U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:39 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,247,409 times

Advertisements

This is one of those questions where most say, no problem!!!! I would hire a 60+ year old, then when the rubber meets the road and their rear end is on the line, they won't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,844 posts, read 54,552,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoub61 View Post
Hi, I am a 61 year old female, just lost my job, so very hard to find another one. I have put in so many applications, I think I have applied with every company in the city. Years of work experience, still strong minded, good health, and just want to want. Do not want to sit at home, when I am able to work, I think if you are able to work, want to work, and need to work you should not be shut out because of your age. Shame on the companies that age discriminate, cause one day they to will grown old, and you never know they to might need someone to give them a chance to work. Older worker are your best worker, because they are so graceful and loyal just to have a job.
Just like the young people that don't think about contributing to a retirement fund of some sort, being 60 is far from many people's minds at least until in the 40s. The biggest motivation to avoid age discrimination is potential lawsuits, and it's very hard to prove in court. Unless the employer is stupid enough to put in writing or email "we decided to go with someone younger" there is no way to prove that the hiring manager
didn't choose the younger person because he/she was better qualified in their mind after the interviews.

My suggestion to you is to look for a job in city, county or state government, or a municipal utility, airport, school district or housing authority. Governments tend to value experience more than youth, and are much more careful to avoid discrimination suits since any settlement comes from their taxpayers. I don't know what your experience is, but these employers have a huge variety of jobs. Where I work there are 1,900 employees, and over 400 different job titles. Look for a site like this one in our area that has only public agency jobs.

AWC JobNet - Search jobs

Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 16 days ago)

9,636 posts, read 3,682,460 times
It's against federal law to discriminate based on age.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,247,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's against federal law to discriminate based on age.
Companies don't care, they do it anyway. They feel like they are above the law and act accordingly.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:57 PM

3,775 posts, read 2,132,511 times
A 60 plus year old is going to have decades of industry experience so why not? But then again.. Im not greedy and don't need $MILLIONS to live a happy life. Other idiots need tens of millions of dollars (and continuous more) to go through life

Even if I had millions of dollars, I would only live in a middle class neighborhood with enough space for all I need. I don't need 8000 sq. Feet. What for? I only have a wife and a shih-tzu. I don't need a yacht. A boat would suffice. I don't need a big back yard. A grill doesn't need all that space

I would rather have a company full of happy employees

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-20-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or