U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times

Advertisements

Gee, sure glad someone made a "good comment" about breakfast in a workplace cafeteria! The companies that I worked for didn't have a grill/cafeteria. I'd sometimes stop at Micky D's (McDonalds) to pick up breakfast to eat at my desk before starting work. Where my wife works there is a grill/cafeteria and I love it.......we've eaten breakfast in their a couple of times when I dropped her off at work. Nothing like starting some days off with good old scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, home fries and nice cup of coffee! Now, that is good no matter if a person is young or older!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 AM

957 posts, read 1,942,088 times
Lovetheduns, the reason no one complains about you getting breakfast in the morning is because you obviously get your work done. I think the other poster may have been talking about those who are more concerned with eating, texting, and anything else that doesn't pertain to thir job at hand.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM

1,338 posts, read 3,496,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
PS: I'd love to know how you know they're 60 since it's illegal to ask.

It's not hard at all. I registered with a staffing agency and the application said not to list your birthdate unless you were "under 20."

BUT...for "verification" purposes (and something about Homeland Security, I forget now)-- they REQUIRED photocopying your driver's license!!
Bingo -- Birthdate! There are also several free websites that may provide an age just looking up the person's name and city of residence....

Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,244,090 times
Almost all of my senior managers are men over 65 and I LOVE working with them. They are very knowledgeable and I have a great deal of respect from them. They are also great leaders--secure, not threatened by me or any of the other younger workers, share their knowledge, and actually make decisions. Generous with praise and constructive criticism. Oh yeah, and if they're wrong (rarely) they own it and move on. They are also very laid back, but still expect us all to give it our best. My vote is a definite "yes"!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:28 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,394,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
"Computer savvy" means knowing how to use a computer, doing it with accuracy/speed.......which does mean knowing the keyboard and the 10-key on it AND knowing how to use the Internet for research, etc.
Believe me, wife and I have known/know people in their late 50's and 60's that will not touch a computer......my brother being one of them (age-65).
I remember doing a "typing speed" type game in my old office with two Transportation drivers watching. They were amazed at how fast/accurate I was on the keyboard doing this game.
What you're describing is only part of being computer savvy. It also refers to all the softwares that utilize the computer as well, beginning with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Quickbooks, as well as all the industry-specific ones. So it isn't really accurate to say you're savvy if you have no idea how to set up a spreadsheet, make a slide presentation, create a table in a Word document or manage your Outlook calendar. These are just starting places and there are countless other functions that most computer savvy people can do. The ability to keyboard is really not much more than being able to type so it really isn't a function of computer savviness.

Years ago when I decided I wanted to leave public education and find employment in the business world, I realized I had to learn how to use a computer. I went to the night school bookstore, bought the books and workbooks that were being used, took them home and taught myself Microsoft Office. Then as I got better and better jobs I picked up the softwares that I needed to do my better jobs. In my current job I even had to teach myself Microsoft Project although I had never even seen it before. I have also had to learn how to utilize the more complex functions of Outlook because I am the gatekeeper for all the conference rooms on my floor and I also keep calendars for a number of people and so many other functions. Many of the responsibilities I have involve utilizing the internet for such things as our proprietary travel and expense management and that is something I have had to learn very quickly.

I am not claiming to be be an expert by any means, I am merely saying that there is so much more to being able to say one is computer savvy than being able to keyboard and and buy a shirt from the Lands' End website.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:49 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,690,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
Lovetheduns, the reason no one complains about you getting breakfast in the morning is because you obviously get your work done. I think the other poster may have been talking about those who are more concerned with eating, texting, and anything else that doesn't pertain to thir job at hand.
Exactly. Sorry you don't start work at 8:30 am and spend the first 45 minutes eating breakfast.

Eat before you get there.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:06 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,303,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I am merely saying that there is so much more to being able to say one is computer savvy than being able to keyboard and and buy a shirt from the Lands' End website.

Absolutely.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times
Wife and I have, and still do, all of the below. She is a Degreed accountant and my career first started in warehouse/shipping/receiving/stockroom using a UPS and FedX Books for shipping and the early days of Inventory Control using 3 x 5 cards. Later years, when computers started, I learned all of the Shipping/Receiving and Inventory computer programs. Then I went into Purchasing and Inventory Management and learned to use Platinum (now Sage), Solomon and MAS 90. Have done many spreadsheets using Excel. Also know how to use photo editing solfware, such as Photo Go, Photo Deluxe and Film Factory and Scanning. Wife and I have even installed more Memory, a new CD-DVD Player and a new Video Card into our desktop computer! Shall I go on??? Sounds like a lot more than just keyboarding to me! I started using a computer in 1989 and a program called Basic 4 as a Stockroom Supervisor. My wife even knows more computer programs than I do from her experience in Accounting. So, "computer savvy"......yes, I'd say we are!! Yes, I do go wayyyyy back with computers. I use to work for a division of Bell & Howell where we manufactured micro-fiche making computers (early 80's). Spent my old Navy days typing purchase orders on an electric typewriter and keeping shipboard inventory on 3 x 5 cards! Wife use to do accounting in a book/Ledger. So, we have both advanced with the years and done a good job of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
What you're describing is only part of being computer savvy. It also refers to all the softwares that utilize the computer as well, beginning with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Quickbooks, as well as all the industry-specific ones. So it isn't really accurate to say you're savvy if you have no idea how to set up a spreadsheet, make a slide presentation, create a table in a Word document or manage your Outlook calendar. These are just starting places and there are countless other functions that most computer savvy people can do. The ability to keyboard is really not much more than being able to type so it really isn't a function of computer savviness.

Years ago when I decided I wanted to leave public education and find employment in the business world, I realized I had to learn how to use a computer. I went to the night school bookstore, bought the books and workbooks that were being used, took them home and taught myself Microsoft Office. Then as I got better and better jobs I picked up the softwares that I needed to do my better jobs. In my current job I even had to teach myself Microsoft Project although I had never even seen it before. I have also had to learn how to utilize the more complex functions of Outlook because I am the gatekeeper for all the conference rooms on my floor and I also keep calendars for a number of people and so many other functions. Many of the responsibilities I have involve utilizing the internet for such things as our proprietary travel and expense management and that is something I have had to learn very quickly.

I am not claiming to be be an expert by any means, I am merely saying that there is so much more to being able to say one is computer savvy than being able to keyboard and and buy a shirt from the Lands' End website.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,307,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just a thought but if the world wide satellite system crashed, where would your generation be? That scenario isn't an improbability
I have no idea what the "world wide satellite system" means, but if by that you mean all satellites "crashing" at once, actually that's an extreme improbability.

Quote:
An interesting comment. Technological advancements have enabled even the most inept to surf the net via PC, desktop, laptop, cellphone or whatever. I believe the major systems used by world governments and in major security systems are still based on the original DOS system and far greater new versions of that.
I believe you're exceedingly out of touch, frankly. The need to know DOS, machine language etc has all but disappeared (although some concepts are still around in other languages and used here and there, egusing registers in C, etc).

Quote:
I would bet it's 50/50.
Considering how much reverse discrimination goes on (under the guise of BS sugar-coated terms like "affirmative action" and "diversity"), I'd agree.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,307,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
"Computer savvy" means knowing how to use a computer, doing it with accuracy/speed.......which does mean knowing the keyboard and the 10-key on it AND knowing how to use the Internet for research, etc.
No, sorry, wrong. Although the term is kind of broad, it almost always means a LOT more than that.

Quote:
Believe me, wife and I have known/know people in their late 50's and 60's that will not touch a computer......my brother being one of them (age-65).
Extremely small sample size which hardly equates to that group in general. I agree w/whoever said lumping in their 50s/60s with those in their 70s/80s is weak; generally speaking, a BIG diff in computer abilities/acceptance/etc.

Quote:
I remember doing a "typing speed" type game in my old office with two Transportation drivers watching. They were amazed at how fast/accurate I was on the keyboard doing this game.
Key word: game. ie it's frankly meaningless in almost all jobs out there, even most admin/secretarial jobs. eg how often does it matter if a document is typed up in 10 mins vs 15? Those days are long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
I have worked with several people over the age of 60, including bosses, supervisors, and co-workers.

Most of these older employees I worked with were at the stage of their life when they prefer life not to get so complicated, such as office politics and mind games, and to take it easier, like being more flexible with deadlines and quality of work.

Most of these older employees complain more, yet because they are close to retiring, don't do anything to solve or change things.

This has been frustrating at times and it brings the moral of others down, including mine.

Having a supervisor or boss over 60 is worse than just having to work with a co-worker of that age. So, if I ever have a choice about where to work and I'm not desperate enough to accept just about anything, I won't work for a boss or supervisor who is over 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or