Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Generally not! I find that many applicants are over the hill and not as sharp and aggressive at that age and also are less likely to get along with their coworkers who are mostly in their 20s and 30s. Another problem with older workers is they are set in their ways and are not computer savvy which is the key to corporate office jobs. Others are coasting to retirement and are just putting in their time until social security.
Gee, aren't you judgemental! Almost all of my co-workers are years and even decades younger than I am and I am fairly confident that none of them have issues with my age. Aside from certain proprietary softwares that geologists use, I am as computer savvy as the next guy. I had to test on many of the applications before getting the job - did you? As for retirement and/or social security, they are both the last things on my mind. I will retain my employer's insurance until they kick me out of here and hopefully that won't be any time in the foreseeable future. All I'm trying to say is, don't make value judgements on the basis of stereotypes but rather on an individual basis which is how hiring decisions should be made anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
I would certainly hire them.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:59 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
I'm very computer savvy, BUT there are a lot of companies that want a person (old or young) to know the computer software they use, which can be impossible. Not every company uses the same software programs for specific things they do. It's true that a person can take computer classes to "brush up" on their computer skills, but employers want actual "working" experience with certain software, not just classes. It's also true that many "60 plus" people don't even like using a computer, but wife and I sure aren't a part of that group! However, we do know some people in that age bracket that are like that.........but, they are fully retired now (from a company and on Social Security).

Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Speaking from personal experience, after being laid off in Jun '08, I was able to find a new job on Sept. 28th when I was one month shy of turning 64. My boss is likely15 years my junior and most of the others in my department are even younger than that but my age doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone. I should mention however that I don't really look my age, my skills were sharp, I got rave comments from my references and I generally associate with people much younger. Given the economy we're in, retiring is hardly at the forefront of my worries. I have pretty much decided to work until someone tells me to stop and I am fairly okay with that.
I see a lot of advantages when I get 65.

Company doesn't have to worry about my health insurance I'm covered under medicare.

My skills are sharp and most likely have more experience than anyone younger working for the company in an industry where experience is valued above all else.

House and everything is all paid for, I get social security which I can live on so if work slows up I'll just stay home until it heats up.

I would never ask for a raise because I don't need the money.

I am very stable, don't do drugs, drink or run around with women other than my wife.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Generally not! I find that many applicants are over the hill and not as sharp and aggressive at that age and also are less likely to get along with their coworkers who are mostly in their 20s and 30s. Another problem with older workers is they are set in their ways and are not computer savvy which is the key to corporate office jobs. Others are coasting to retirement and are just putting in their time until social security.

On the other hand, while I am only in my 30s I do strongly consider applicants in their 40s and 50s because they have less drama and more self confidence than younger employees.
Oh my Lord this is the funniest thing I've ever read!

Youngsters need to learn youth and agility is no match for experience in the ways of treachery. I'd eat your lunch and you wouldn't know it until it was gone.

And at what school do they teach youngsters to be "aggressive" (I hate that word) is the way to be? I get em all the time, little salesman in their little company car stop by to sell me stuff by being all aggressive and I'll ***** slap em just because I am bored and don't have anything else to do.

You don't make your way in this world by being aggressive. You think live is like Mad Max or Road Warrior? You make your way by being a man known for his honesty, integrity and for keeping his word. These are traits you learn with time.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:

On the other hand, while I am only in my 30s I do strongly consider applicants in their 40s and 50s because they have less drama and more self confidence than younger employees.
More stereotyping?

Exactly what do you mean when you type "computer savvy" anyway? Do you even know?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Asking "would you hire someone 60?" makes about as much sense as asking "would you hire a woman?" or "would you hire a black guy?" ie none.

I would hire someone based on their qualifications/ability for the job and my impressions during the interview. Period. Anything else is idiotic. Which, sadly, describes more than a few HRs/hiring people these days. And age discrimination, despite being illegal, is all the rage, and for some of the laughably stupid "reasons" already put forth.

PS: I'd love to know how you know they're 60 since it's illegal to ask.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Where i sue to work they often wouldn;t consider anyoe else except those wtih experience ot top spots.With the shift to contracts its really no problem now days in profesional positions.The person that will have problem is one that can be repalced with a inexperience 20+ year old which is why you want to advance in the first place.Its very hard for anyoen to be consider for management in any corporation that isn't at least 50 really.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 AM

154 posts, read 526,569 times
If being 60 years old is just so great in the world of work then why is it so hard for older workers to get a job? Because of bias based on employers bad experiences with older workers in the past.

Now I am sure some of the older posters are as sharp as a tact and they are still working at age 70. If so great, but you are an exception. Most workers start to slip and lose interest in the late 50s and slide to retirement. (I agree many younger workers are not too impressive either)

Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,162 times
As an "old" worker", what do you think of the job perormance of Moses.....not bad for say, 800 years, eh?

That said, 'Old' is an old, outdated term today. Please review the RECENT accomplishments of 'old' people, ie. Clint Eastwood, Mick Jager, Buz Aldrin, etc,. and note the number of self-made millionaires after 60 vs younger ones..

ps: I do not 'enjoy' young coworkers any more than I do the older ones. Regarding overall job performance indicators, age is an worker asset; youth is a hope (Check HR Turnover rates).

I come to a job to w o r k, not play (a "senior citizen" value motto).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search