U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM
 
490 posts, read 1,599,187 times
Reputation: 259

Advertisements

If anyone knows, please tell me.

Some company ran my background and checked my references. They led me to believe they had an offer but never gave it to me and just did it. They tested me and got a full application too. Now, no job. Do I have recourse for complain? No one had done that to me before. References are hard to get. I don't typically waste mine just because. They held me with no answers for almost a month and ignored my messages and phone calls. They made me waste a lot of my time so I am thinking in asking for compensation.

Anyone has any POV?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM
 
2,370 posts, read 4,499,053 times
Reputation: 4206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
If anyone knows, please tell me.

Some company ran my background and checked my references. They led me to believe they had an offer but never gave it to me and just did it. They tested me and got a full application too. Now, no job. Do I have recourse for complain? No one had done that to me before. References are hard to get. I don't typically waste mine just because. They held me with no answers for almost a month and ignored my messages and phone calls. They made me waste a lot of my time so I am thinking in asking for compensation.

Anyone has any POV?

Thanks,
Was it a job in which you would be handling cash and you have poor credit? A lot of employers run background checks on everyone no matter what their role will be in the company.

It seems that something in the background check made them to decide to pass on hiring you. I don't see where you would think you are entitled to compensation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "references are hard to get" and that you don't "typically just waste [them] because." You can't ask the same few friends or colleagues to provide a reference for you each time you apply somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
 
490 posts, read 1,599,187 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Was it a job in which you would be handling cash and you have poor credit? A lot of employers run background checks on everyone no matter what their role will be in the company.

It seems that something in the background check made them to decide to pass on hiring you. I don't see where you would think you are entitled to compensation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "references are hard to get" and that you don't "typically just waste [them] because." You can't ask the same few friends or colleagues to provide a reference for you each time you apply somewhere?
No, is not a cash handling job. And m references are from "C" level people that are very busy and hard to get. For what I do, a peer reference would not be enough-they need to speak with former bosses.

My background check is clean. You don't understand my issue but unfortunately I can not clarify it for you.

Thanks for chiming in anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
 
2,370 posts, read 4,499,053 times
Reputation: 4206
Have you visited the HR office to check on the status of your application? Seems a shame that they would have you go through the whole process and lead you to believe they were going to hire you and then drop you like a rock.

Good luck with your search. I hope you get something better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 9,847,901 times
Reputation: 3955
Hard to say, but I would not waste a whole of your mind-time on the matter unless your are concerned it may happen again, and you are seeking to preempt a repeat of the experience.

Anymore I find that customers/employers/clients (all the same thing in my realm) are as likely or even more so to be "unqualified," for some task than I am. And like you are describing many require background and security issues.

For example, the folks you were dealing may have had their budget cut between the time you started dealing with them and the time they stopped responding. May have had a differing need or who knows what.

But write this in Big Red Letters on the Wall -- Do Not Waste Time or Worry with folks who are not qualified to be customers. Customers (or employers or clients) must:

1. Have Money.
2. Be willing to part with their Money.
3. Pay enough so that the task is profitable to me.

We can go deeper into qualifying folks upfront if this is helpful.

Good Luck. But again, do not waste time (your real resource) on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
 
490 posts, read 1,599,187 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Have you visited the HR office to check on the status of your application? Seems a shame that they would have you go through the whole process and lead you to believe they were going to hire you and then drop you like a rock.

Good luck with your search. I hope you get something better soon.
I can not visit (not correct), I either have called or emailed. I think they've done wrong. For an office position the process is the following:

Candidate sends resume
Someone calls you and interviews by phone
Testing occurs
If you pass, a first interview
Probably a second
If selected, then a salary discussion by phone with an start date
Background, credit and reference check (possibly a drug test too)
Package goes out if check is clear. If not clear, offer then is withdraw

I had my background check before I received an offer and they made me wait a month with no answers or returning my calls until today (to say they went with someone else because...).

Thanks for your wishes, I hope I am strong enough to continue with this inferno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I can not visit (not correct), I either have called or emailed. I think they've done wrong. For an office position the process is the following:

Candidate sends resume
Someone calls you and interviews by phone
Testing occurs
If you pass, a first interview
Probably a second
If selected, then a salary discussion by phone with an start date
Background, credit and reference check (possibly a drug test too)
Package goes out if check is clear. If not clear, offer then is withdraw

I had my background check before I received an offer and they made me wait a month with no answers or returning my calls until today (to say they went with someone else because...).

Thanks for your wishes, I hope I am strong enough to continue with this inferno.
And your damages are what? From what you've written, the company hasn't done anything wrong, except to take forever to tell you someone else got the job.

Some company ran my background and checked my references. They led me to believe they had an offer but never gave it to me and just did it "Some company"??? You have to give permission - don't you know who you allowed to do the check?? Besides, the company is within its rights to do a criminal/credit check and reference check before offering a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
Reputation: 16146
You are thinking of asking for compensation? The only thing that is going to do is give them a good laugh. Honestly, just move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,990,428 times
Reputation: 4066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
And m references are from "C" level people that are very busy and hard to get. For what I do, a peer reference would not be enough-they need to speak with former bosses.

.

I've gotten all my work references in writing. Wherever I've worked, I've gotten great references from clients (in writing) as well as from bosses and owners (in writing). I keep them in my portfolio for job interviews.

Also, I don't know what state you're in, but I haven't heard of any "verbal" references. The only references companies will give to a third party will be "so and so worked here from ______ to _______". They aren't permitted to say "so and so was fired because they stole" or "so and so left on bad terms" or " so and so was a nice person, but a bad worker" or "so and so was a great worker"..... First, they don't know who they're talking to, Second, there is too much litigation out there so they will only give hard FACTS. And this is exactly why I got the reference letters before leaving anywhere ---- you leave on good terms and you can ask for the letter a week or so before you leave. As for client letters?? I got those as I was working. If they were majorly impressed with something I did or if I took care of them on an ongoing basis and they appreciated me, I would request a letter. They were all more than happy to oblige.

About you thinking you're entitled to compensation?? Get over it and move on. You're not entitled to anything. Did they give you a written job offer? Did they sign an employement contract with you? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
 
4,805 posts, read 20,234,907 times
Reputation: 4972
Well they're not going to give you the offer before the run a credit check, are they? That would make the effort pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top