U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,464,844 times

Advertisements

In doing your preliminary reaearch its possible you found out what charities or arts programs this company contributes to and mention your love of dogs/opera/habitat etc. Otherwise, your obsession with reading the business section on the newspaper each morning is a good one........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,038,382 times
Thanks for the thoughts and differeing opinions. It is thought provoking.

It is an internal position, so they are going to know my qualifications as they directly relate to my present position.

So maybe suggestions of something a little lighter, but still relevant might be worthwhile. I acted as a statistician for a local, amateur baseball team for a few years. I could certainly highlight things I did there towards this. Statistical compilation and analys, identifying trends in situations, recommending changes to lineups/strategy.

It would be a little more personal, in that it is an outside, not really work related interest. Yet, I can relate it to the position too, so it is just not some irrelevant hobby.

Might be a good idea as I think about it, and formulate a response in my mind.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,423,935 times
Tell them you pick your nose when no one's looking and enjoy flicking it at random people as they pass by.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,038,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tell them you pick your nose when no one's looking and enjoy flicking it at random people as they pass by.

Something tells me that might not be a winning strategy, unless by chance they enjoy the same thing.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,423,935 times
It bugs me when interviewers ask the same cliche horsepucky. I mean, what do they EXPECT me to answer? They expect the same answer they get from everyone else. So then, why bother asking the question? Just assume you asked, assume I answered the way you wanted to hear, and move onto something more interesting.

If I tell them I used to enjoy bowling, they won't care. It doesn't matter to them, that I used to enjoy bowling. They probably won't even bother asking why I don't enjoy bowling anymore. Chances are, they're not even a bowler themselves, and if they ask me what my average was, and I tell them it was a 162, it won't mean anything to them.

But, they wanted to know something they didn't know about me. How about - I hate avocados? Or oh - I once went with my dad ballooning for his birthday. Oh I know, my favorite color is green!

How is any of this relevent to the job? It isn't. Then, if that's not the kind of answer they want, then they should be more specific with their question. I'm not there to play the "guess what the interviewer means" game. I'm there in search of employment.

The same goes for those objectives on resumes. What the heck do they expect to see? My objective: to not have to work for a living anymore.

That's MY objective, anyway. I'm guessing that's a big one for most people. But instead of omitting an objective entirely, or telling the truth, they lie. "To be situated in a productive, team-spirited community of like-minded thinkers where I can forward-basis myself into proactive performance-driven nonsense."

Gimme a break. As an employer, I wouldn't buy it. As an employer, I'd be more likely to interview the guy who says "My objective is to retire wealthy and buy a villa in Tangiers and drink pina coladas on the beach" than anyone who puts in that prospective job-speak ridiculousness.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM

9,942 posts, read 11,934,279 times
If you are a male you could say :" Well, nobody knows I cross dress at night and go out with fish net stockings under my jeans with silky boxers "

Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM

7,370 posts, read 12,760,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and differeing opinions. It is thought provoking.

It is an internal position, so they are going to know my qualifications as they directly relate to my present position.

So maybe suggestions of something a little lighter, but still relevant might be worthwhile. I acted as a statistician for a local, amateur baseball team for a few years. I could certainly highlight things I did there towards this. Statistical compilation and analys, identifying trends in situations, recommending changes to lineups/strategy.

It would be a little more personal, in that it is an outside, not really work related interest. Yet, I can relate it to the position too, so it is just not some irrelevant hobby.

Might be a good idea as I think about it, and formulate a response in my mind.
Absolutely, positively, a great answer.

"I love baseball. In fact I love it so much I acted as a statistician for a local team..."

Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM

7,370 posts, read 12,760,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It bugs me when interviewers ask the same cliche horsepucky. I mean, what do they EXPECT me to answer? They expect the same answer they get from everyone else. So then, why bother asking the question? Just assume you asked, assume I answered the way you wanted to hear, and move onto something more interesting.

If I tell them I used to enjoy bowling, they won't care. It doesn't matter to them, that I used to enjoy bowling. They probably won't even bother asking why I don't enjoy bowling anymore. Chances are, they're not even a bowler themselves, and if they ask me what my average was, and I tell them it was a 162, it won't mean anything to them.

But, they wanted to know something they didn't know about me. How about - I hate avocados? Or oh - I once went with my dad ballooning for his birthday. Oh I know, my favorite color is green!

How is any of this relevent to the job? It isn't. Then, if that's not the kind of answer they want, then they should be more specific with their question. I'm not there to play the "guess what the interviewer means" game. I'm there in search of employment.

The same goes for those objectives on resumes. What the heck do they expect to see? My objective: to not have to work for a living anymore.

That's MY objective, anyway. I'm guessing that's a big one for most people. But instead of omitting an objective entirely, or telling the truth, they lie. "To be situated in a productive, team-spirited community of like-minded thinkers where I can forward-basis myself into proactive performance-driven nonsense."

Gimme a break. As an employer, I wouldn't buy it. As an employer, I'd be more likely to interview the guy who says "My objective is to retire wealthy and buy a villa in Tangiers and drink pina coladas on the beach" than anyone who puts in that prospective job-speak ridiculousness.
Once you learn how to market yourself, you won't hate these questions. Silly, expected questions are a great way to promote your personal agenda.

As for objectives on resumes, drop it. I replaced it with a "Candidate Overview" which gives a soundbite version of who I am and why I am special. It's a one sentence summary at the top of my resume, and trust me it works.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Not quite, because if your telling them why they should hire you includes stuff you've already said, you didn't really answer the question, and failure to grasp and/or correctly answer a question could knock you right out.
here is the game. yes you talk about yourself but you anticipate what they wana hear and how good you will fit with their team. its shows you have already learned stuff about them and know how to please them.
reading people and anticipating what they want is a critical skill. the brutal fact ----codependents make excellent employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or