U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 AM

8,799 posts, read 13,288,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
Regarding experience, you're right. Most legit employers are very picky and most times want to shoot for the stars when it comes to finding the 'right' person for the job.
They are insane is more like it. I had an position where they rejected me because I worked on the same scientific instrument but from a different manufacturer than the one they are using.

I think another part of it is they give a huge rediculously specific wish list to HR and HR ends up screening everybody out.

A lot of employers are just plain unrealistic, think everyone is incapable of learning, or just too lazy to do any training at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,304,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Indeed.com is by far the best. Careerbuilder.com is a distant 2nd. Monster.com is about as useless as any other SPAM out there. It has zero value.
That statement has zero % accuracy. Monster.com isn't amazing, but "zero value" is simply wrong.

I use them, careerbuilder, and dice.com (for IT only) and USAjobs.com (I have fed govt experience which helps) as main ones. Indeed hasn't wowed me but check it occasionally. Also check local companies and have worked with various local headhunters.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM

32 posts, read 118,571 times
Yeah, try your shot on USAJobs and also Odesk. Odesk has many categories to choose from. Also if you want more sites you can also go to this link for more resources: Top 50 Job Sites Worth Your Time.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 AM

677 posts, read 1,439,650 times
I've had a lot of success going through company webites. If you have an idea of the places that you'd like to apply, check out the career section on their site. Sometimes there are openings that aren't advertised on craigslist or monster. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM

244 posts, read 746,519 times
I usually use Craigslist, Monster.com, Indeed.com, ratracebellion.com (for work at home jobs), LinkUP, my local newspaper's job website, and the unemployment office job website. I also search specific job sites in my industry (graphic design) and visit target company career pages.

I have had the most interviews from jobs posted on Craigslist, but I am very cautious about the jobs I apply to on there. Same with the other job sites. If it does not have a company name or email address, or it is some generic email like "@gmail.com", I do not send my resume.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM

490 posts, read 1,599,037 times
All of these sites have sux for me. The least bad would be Indeed.com. I posted my resume on both Monster and HotJobs and all I got was spam and stupid calls. Today's job market is insane and corporations have no morals or human kindness. I have a degree, experience, willing to take a pay cut yet nothing. I have gotten a few interviews but there is always something like "we went with someone who was a little bit of a better fit".

Having said that, I agree with Mchelle that a good way to look for job is to think in which companies you are willing/interested in working for and visiting their website. Many companies are hiring this way. A few examples are UBS, Bank of America, Diageo, GE and Prudential. All of these have multiple locations in the US. It may be a good idea to keep the same password for all companies, I've got a lot of trouble forgetting them and then having to recall them.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

274 posts, read 909,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They are insane is more like it. I had an position where they rejected me because I worked on the same scientific instrument but from a different manufacturer than the one they are using.

I think another part of it is they give a huge rediculously specific wish list to HR and HR ends up screening everybody out.

A lot of employers are just plain unrealistic, think everyone is incapable of learning, or just too lazy to do any training at all.
I most definitely agree. However, since we're in an employer's market, they can do whatever they want to do and be as selective as can be - even if that means holding out for several months or so to find the 'best fit' candidate, assuming the job doesn't have to be filled immediately. Looking at this from an employer's perspective though, I can see (although I do not necessarily agree with them) why they are being so picky:

1. there's not a shortage of applicants so they have the luxury of taking their time to pick and choose the right one
2. the last thing they want to do is choose the wrong candidate (or an unqualified one) and have to let them go early on because it'll be costly
3. additional training can amount to a lot of time/money spent per employee... that's why most times, there are very defined experience levels and skills that are required for most job postings.

It's horrible, I know, but it's the current reality right now. I think most typical HR departments now are so understaffed and over-utilized that finding/interviewing the right candidates results in a much longer process. This is why even though you may be a qualified applicant, it may still take upwards to several months to hear a response back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
All of these sites have sux for me. The least bad would be Indeed.com. I posted my resume on both Monster and HotJobs and all I got was spam and stupid calls. Today's job market is insane and corporations have no morals or human kindness. I have a degree, experience, willing to take a pay cut yet nothing. I have gotten a few interviews but there is always something like "we went with someone who was a little bit of a better fit".

Having said that, I agree with Mchelle that a good way to look for job is to think in which companies you are willing/interested in working for and visiting their website. Many companies are hiring this way. A few examples are UBS, Bank of America, Diageo, GE and Prudential. All of these have multiple locations in the US. It may be a good idea to keep the same password for all companies, I've got a lot of trouble forgetting them and then having to recall them.
Sorry to hear that your experience with job search engines isn't going so well. Just understand that there are other ways than just job search engines. If you know the specific companies you would like to work for (obviously after having done research and assuming you're qualified), I'd personally apply through their website. I think there was a statistic posted out several months ago where it mentioned that of the total number of job applicants who used job search engines, only less than 10% of them found something decent and landed those positions.

Especially now, I think it's important to think outside of the box other than what the vast majority of people are doing. I know it's easier said than done but there are a lot of helpful/insightful threads in this forum that tell you different ways of getting noticed by a potential employer. And using a job search engine typically ranks dead last in getting your foot in the door.

Hope things go better for you soon!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,987,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
You need to find the company you want to work for first. Then do what it takes to get a job there.

Quit using the SPAM sites. Start researching companies in the area you want to live. Then get in touch with those companies directly.

Don't send your resume to blind emails or resume harvester URLs.
I'm sorry but that worked in 1983.

MOST companies will not even accept your phone call. They'll send you to their online application process.

And in this economy, companies could careless, they know people need work.

This whole damn system is F**KED UP!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,399,658 times
Maybe this suggestion might sound as coming from way out in left field but how about the local newspaper? You know, that odd "employment" column?* Not every business advertises only online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search