Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 AM

72 posts, read 368,350 times

Advertisements

And also please exclude friends because I have bad friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,948,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
What type (s) of jobs are you looking for? What industry are you trying to get employed in? There may be websites that provide listings for positions that are industry-specific. Another place is professional trade organizations. Of course networking is the #1 best way of locating work ... If your friends are dead ends, what about family? Acquaintances? People you regularly conduct business with such as your hairstylist, barber, doctor, pastor, etc...

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,524,546 times
Indeed.com is by far the best. Careerbuilder.com is a distant 2nd. Monster.com is about as useless as any other SPAM out there. It has zero value. Craigslist is about 90% SPAM BOTs that are just fishing for legit emails so they can sell your email to SPAMMERs. That seems to have lessened recently as Craigslist charges to place an employment ad in most major cities now. There are other specialty job listings targeting specifically your trade but you did not revel that.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,547,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
You need to find the company you want to work for first. Then do what it takes to get a job there.

Quit using the SPAM sites. Start researching companies in the area you want to live. Then get in touch with those companies directly.

Don't send your resume to blind emails or resume harvester URLs.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,606,647 times
Try indeed.com and hotjobs.com

Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM

274 posts, read 995,728 times
Depending on the industry/field you want to get into, I'd suggest looking at reputable recruiters. Trust me, there are plenty out there however with the job market being what it is, they (just like employers) are going to be picky. Recruiters typically have the "in" with most companies which are their clients and they usually get a commission based off a percentage of your salary if the company hires you. You should not have to pay any up front costs... in fact, if you do, that most likely is a scam or a non-reputable recruiter.

Also, try to search for jobs on LinkedIn if you're a member. Most times, that's 10X better than those typical job search engines you listed.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,865,953 times
Also, try LinkUp.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,260,878 times
I haven't had ANY luck with indeed.com! Some phone interviews from my resume posted on Careerbuilder and Monster, but no call back for an in-person interview. What some companies are NOT doing is taking the filled jobs off of websites when the position is filled! That annoys me. People put jobs on Craigslist who don't want to pay to look at resumes on Careerbuilder and Monster. Today, you have to have a GREAT resume with (in many cases) a college degree AND some type of certification PLUS the experience. It's tough out there..........VERY TOUGH (especially for the good paying jobs)!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM

274 posts, read 995,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I haven't had ANY luck with indeed.com! Some phone interviews from my resume posted on Careerbuilder and Monster, but no call back for an in-person interview. What some companies are NOT doing is taking the filled jobs off of websites when the position is filled! That annoys me. People put jobs on Craigslist who don't want to pay to look at resumes on Careerbuilder and Monster. Today, you have to have a GREAT resume with (in many cases) a college degree AND some type of certification PLUS the experience. It's tough out there..........VERY TOUGH (especially for the good paying jobs)!
From my experiences, most times companies don't take off job postings for legality and hiring purposes. They might be waiting for a candidate they've already interviewed to give their final decision whether to accept the offer or not.

Regarding experience, you're right. Most legit employers are very picky and most times want to shoot for the stars when it comes to finding the 'right' person for the job. I'm sure you've probably heard this before but keep your head up. Things will line up if you are doing everything you can to make sure you get noticed and get the right foot in the door. Aside from the threads I've previously posted on here, I'd be glad to offer any assistance I can via PM.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM

15,789 posts, read 21,299,275 times
My daily routine involves rotating through Monster, Career Builder, Indeed, Idealist, USAJobs, and GAJobs looking for anything within 50 miles of Atlanta.

Then I have a list of colleges/universities, nonprofits, and companies that I check the job boards of at least once a week. There are about 100+ employers that I do that for and keep record of when I check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search