U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,653,752 times

Advertisements

I'd take the job........have them train you and pay for everything...........use up your insurance and other benefits and drop them after you find something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,677,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
I received a job offer last week for a job with a school system. The offer was excellent and at the top of their pay scale for that position. I received the offer by phone, then followed up by email. Within an hour I recieved another email rescinding the offer due to "review of budget" an hour later I received another offer for 30% less than the original. What do you think?
They're playing games. Who would offer a job without knowing what the budget for it was first? Like you said, it's very unlikely the budget could've changed that quickly. More likely is that they know you want the job, they're hoping they can get you to take a pay cut, and if you don't, they either have an alternate lined up or they're pretty confident they can get one pretty easily.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
I had a very similar experience recently. One of those 'hyped up' Plug In Hybrid electric car companies who received $529M government department of energy loan. Made me an offer, sent me email with the offer letter. I didn't sign it immediately and tried to negotiate for a higher salary just to breakeven from what I am currently making. After both parties agreed at a figure, which was only a few thousand dollars more, they had delayed my start date specified in the original offer letter. 3 weeks later they told me the position is no longer available. I had found out that they offer the same job to someone I knew who has got 10 years less experience and saved about $30K. They altered the position title so that it sounds more junior that what was offered to me. Some companies are very under-handed when dealing and hiring people. May all this just be another example of how they set themselves up to fail. This company had delayed and failed to launch their vehicle for more than a year. I know they are going to keep failing when they would sacrifice experience and knowledge to save a little money.

In a way I am very glad that I didn't end up joining this company since I didn't have to move out of state and still ended up with the same take home pay from my current job.

What goes around comes around. Karma Sucks!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,210,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
In my area, local schools make the hiring decisions but school's budget and funding is controlled by the district. Unfortunately that means a lot of staff were made offers by schools which were then cancelled because the district informed them their budget was being cut. This split of control is the result of negotiations between unions who want school power, and politicians who control the money. Its unfortunate and a lot of innocent people get snagged in the mess.
Kinda strange that the offer was changed in only two hours after initial offer was made.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 PM

146 posts, read 361,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaIsABiatch View Post
I had a very similar experience recently. One of those 'hyped up' Plug In Hybrid electric car companies who received $529M government department of energy loan. Made me an offer, sent me email with the offer letter. I didn't sign it immediately and tried to negotiate for a higher salary just to breakeven from what I am currently making. After both parties agreed at a figure, which was only a few thousand dollars more, they had delayed my start date specified in the original offer letter. 3 weeks later they told me the position is no longer available. I had found out that they offer the same job to someone I knew who has got 10 years less experience and saved about $30K. They altered the position title so that it sounds more junior that what was offered to me. Some companies are very under-handed when dealing and hiring people. May all this just be another example of how they set themselves up to fail. This company had delayed and failed to launch their vehicle for more than a year. I know they are going to keep failing when they would sacrifice experience and knowledge to save a little money.

In a way I am very glad that I didn't end up joining this company since I didn't have to move out of state and still ended up with the same take home pay from my current job.

What goes around comes around. Karma Sucks!
Thanks for your comment. I took the job because I have been out of work for some time but believe me, I will continue to look for other opportunities. In fact, had a great interview earlier this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or