U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,650,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Thanks for the backhand!
Given how many of you on the right look down on the unemployed and assume they're all a bunch of lazy people who aren't looking for work, I think what I said was only fair. You persisted until you found a job. Why is it so hard for the right-wingers to believe others aren't like you as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,924,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Why is it so hard for the right-wingers to believe others aren't like you as well?
Because those who do this sort of thing suffer from myopia of the brain.

It's also linked to the "if I can do it, anyone can do it!" attitude. Once again, a very myopic belief system. Nothing else matters to such an individual if he/she has never experienced it.

It's similar to a baby's view of the world. When a parent leaves the baby alone in the room, that person no longer exists in the baby's mind. Similarly, if the OP has not experienced it, it must not exist.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,650,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Because those who do this sort of thing suffer from myopia of the brain.

It's also linked to the "if I can do it, anyone can do it!" attitude. Once again, a very myopic belief system. Nothing else matters to such an individual if he/she has never experienced it.

It's similar to a baby's view of the world. When a parent leaves the baby alone in the room, that person no longer exists in the baby's mind. Similarly, if the OP has not experienced it, it must not exist.
It's just strange to hear the contradiction. "I was out of work, busted my behind to find a job, and finally got one. But I'm the exception. Everyone else is just a lazy bum looking for handouts." I've seen this attitude in other areas as well. For example, if you talk about losing weight, you'll always find the person who says how hard they worked to lose weight. But they're quick to point out how everyone else is too lazy to exercise. It shows how arrogant these people are, to think they're the only ones who work hard. Anytime I succeeded at something that others wanted to achieve as well, I didn't assume that I was different than them. For all I know, they were working just as hard at achieving that goal. But it seems like this forum is full of people who think they're the only ones who work hard.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
It's just strange to hear the contradiction. "I was out of work, busted my behind to find a job, and finally got one. But I'm the exception. Everyone else is just a lazy bum looking for handouts." I've seen this attitude in other areas as well. For example, if you talk about losing weight, you'll always find the person who says how hard they worked to lose weight. But they're quick to point out how everyone else is too lazy to exercise. It shows how arrogant these people are, to think they're the only ones who work hard. Anytime I succeeded at something that others wanted to achieve as well, I didn't assume that I was different than them. For all I know, they were working just as hard at achieving that goal. But it seems like this forum is full of people who think they're the only ones who work hard.
I bet I can shed some light on this. Not too long ago, the OP was discussing how in high school, he graduated with a sub-3.0 GPA. He explained how some of his teachers told his parents that they thought he was mentally challenged, or something else along those lines. He went on to explain how he got into some state college in upstate NY, how he graduated with a B grade point. He was very proud of this, as he should be.

My point is, when average or below-average people overcome what they consider major obstacles in their life, they take a great amount of pride in the efforts it took to overcome them. For most above-average people, on the other hand, academia, work, etc. just comes naturally to them. So when they accomplish something big, it's just pfft...whatev. Next?

So when people go on these types of rants about how "you just need to work hard", it's likely because they've had to work harder than someone who's above average in order to accomplish things in their life. So I definitely give the OP some credit for busting his ***** for this new job and getting through college. On the other hand, I wouldn't take his rants to heart, because honestly, consider the source.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,318,996 times
Quote:
It's just strange to hear the contradiction. "I was out of work, busted my behind to find a job, and finally got one. But I'm the exception. Everyone else is just a lazy bum looking for handouts." I've seen this attitude in other areas as well.
Wow talk about a stretch. You have no clue what you're talking about, as I'm not even out of work

But I do think that if everyone worked as hard as me at finding a job, they would sooner. For instance, I spent my 2 week vacation traveling from Buffalo to Huntsville and stopped at 6 job fairs.

I don't understand you. You turn everything into politics, it's seriously annoying, there is a forum for that, no one cares about your illegal immigration views, I only post in your stupid threads for balance and to point out the massive fallacies that you present incessantly.

I sincerely hope that you aren't political in real life, I knew someone who turned every conversation into a rant about why Jimmy Carter ruined everything. No one could talk to her, and you remind me of her. Just give it a rest, and you might be well advised to take up another hobby besides picking arguments on a message board, because at the end of the day, no one cares about your opinions - and I'm mad at myself for not having the maturity to not get sucked into your stupid game.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I bet I can shed some light on this. Not too long ago, the OP was discussing how in high school, he graduated with a sub-3.0 GPA. He explained how some of his teachers told his parents that they thought he was mentally challenged, or something else along those lines. He went on to explain how he got into some state college in upstate NY, how he graduated with a B grade point. He was very proud of this, as he should be.

My point is, when average or below-average people overcome what they consider major obstacles in their life, they take a great amount of pride in the efforts it took to overcome them. For most above-average people, on the other hand, academia, work, etc. just comes naturally to them. So when they accomplish something big, it's just pfft...whatev. Next?

So when people go on these types of rants about how "you just need to work hard", it's likely because they've had to work harder than someone who's above average in order to accomplish things in their life. So I definitely give the OP some credit for busting his ***** for this new job and getting through college. On the other hand, I wouldn't take his rants to heart, because honestly, consider the source.
Let me correct you, because you have made many factual errors, of course. But I'll be glad to help.

I went through most of high school with a C average, but graduated with about a B+ average. My GPA in college was 3.5, which is not a B, but right in the middle of B+ and A- (actually considered A- at my school). And this wasn't "some state school" it is the most selective public school in New York.

I believe that I explained very clearly that I am not average, as a matter of fact, I remember mentioning my parents forcing me to get an IQ test which proved that I am smarter than 92% of people, I was just the laziest person then, now I am not.

But thank you for taking such an interest in the biographical details of my life, I would be more than glad to tell you more if it would please you.

Again, thanks for the backhanded insults, and the way to make me stop putting you down for screwing your career up isn't to insult me, FYI.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Let me correct you, because you have made many factual errors, of course. But I'll be glad to help.

I went through most of high school with a C average, but graduated with about a B+ average. My GPA in college was 3.5, which is not a B, but right in the middle of B+ and A- (actually considered A- at my school). And this wasn't "some state school" it is the most selective public school in New York.

I believe that I explained very clearly that I am not average, as a matter of fact, I remember mentioning my parents forcing me to get an IQ test which proved that I am smarter than 92% of people, I was just the laziest person then, now I am not.

But thank you for taking such an interest in the biographical details of my life, I would be more than glad to tell you more if it would please you.

Again, thanks for the backhanded insults, and the way to make me stop putting you down for screwing your career up isn't to insult me, FYI.
Oops, did I forget to say congratulations in my last post. Looks like I did. Congratulations!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Oops, did I forget to say congratulations in my last post. Looks like I did. Congratulations!
I don't think you forgot.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,208,771 times
Have a Cosmo! What state will you be in BTW? I would suggest that you celebrate this really amazing job offer

Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Have a Cosmo! What state will you be in BTW? I would suggest that you celebrate this really amazing job offer
Thanks, it's in Buffalo! Reps to you for not insulting me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or