Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM

148 posts, read 409,140 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer last week for a job with a school system. The offer was excellent and at the top of their pay scale for that position. I received the offer by phone, then followed up by email. Within an hour I recieved another email rescinding the offer due to "review of budget" an hour later I received another offer for 30% less than the original. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:36 AM

245 posts, read 585,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
I received a job offer last week for a job with a school system. The offer was excellent and at the top of their pay scale for that position. I received the offer by phone, then followed up by email. Within an hour I recieved another email rescinding the offer due to "review of budget" an hour later I received another offer for 30% less than the original. What do you think?
A legitimate offer usually arrives as a mailed or overnighted, document.
It appears that they wanted to hire you but for less than they had originally offered.

Since they didn't make you a formal offer,it appears that you are stuck.
If you don't need the job that urgently,you could TRY negotiating. Buit I wouldn't hold out much "hope" for that working.

If you need the job and it's for more money than you are bringing in now, then swallow your pride and take the offer. If don't need a job, 'd say "Thanks but no.."

Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Talk about underhanded, I suppose I would take it and continue to look but only because the job market sucks so bad. They already have shown you they are extremely cheap and someone you probably wont want to work for long term.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Is this a public school system? This kind of thing is common now, what probably happened is that they were anticipating the "aid to states" that Congress has been punting for a couple of months now and it didn't happen, so they had to adjust. If you still have the offer, I'd take it as it's important to "get your foot in the system" in the education field (I'm trying to career transition into teaching). Good luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Is this a public school system? This kind of thing is common now, what probably happened is that they were anticipating the "aid to states" that Congress has been punting for a couple of months now and it didn't happen, so they had to adjust. If you still have the offer, I'd take it as it's important to "get your foot in the system" in the education field (I'm trying to career transition into teaching). Good luck!
Yes this is a public school system but not a teaching position. I just dont understand how "the budget", "the decision" or whatever could have changed so drastically within 2 hours.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I would take the 2nd offer for 30% less if I really wanted to work for a school district.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
It sounds like the counter offer by the OP was NOT accepted, so at this time there IS no "offer". Time to chalk it up to experience and move on.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
When you received the offer by phone, did you accept it? Was the first email that you mentioned from you to them? Or was it from them to you, confirming the offer they had relayed by phone? Oral contracts are sometimes binding. Also, if you had accepted the first offer before they rescinded it, they *might* not have a choice but to honor their first offer. You never know. I'd probably consider talking to someone about that first offer. I mean, if they've rescinded the offer than they are at the very least acknowledging that they made it to begin with.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
When you received the offer by phone, did you accept it? Was the first email that you mentioned from you to them? Or was it from them to you, confirming the offer they had relayed by phone? Oral contracts are sometimes binding. Also, if you had accepted the first offer before they rescinded it, they *might* not have a choice but to honor their first offer. You never know. I'd probably consider talking to someone about that first offer. I mean, if they've rescinded the offer than they are at the very least acknowledging that they made it to begin with.
No I did not accept the first offer by phone. I was told she just wanted to tell me the details of the offer and would follow up by email. I was to "reject" or "accept" in in writing within 3 days.

The first email was from them to me -- just a summary of our telephone call with more specific information.

Basically, I am in an "at-will" state which means an employer can dismiss, fire, rescind, etc., at any time for no reason.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
In my area, local schools make the hiring decisions but school's budget and funding is controlled by the district. Unfortunately that means a lot of staff were made offers by schools which were then cancelled because the district informed them their budget was being cut. This split of control is the result of negotiations between unions who want school power, and politicians who control the money. Its unfortunate and a lot of innocent people get snagged in the mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search