U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,452,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

Behavioral interview questions are stupid. If you have to pick your questions out of a book, you shouldn't be interviewing any body.
If an interviewer has to select questions from reference materials and the questions do not specifically apply to the real work situation on the job, then they certainly are a waste of time. However when an effective interviewer can evaluate a candidate's responses to questions that are tailored to the actual job, the evaluation may be enriched by behavioral questions. Where does it say that behavioral questions are picked from books? Good interviewers don't need books; they are skilled in their work. You have obviously never interviewed for upper level positions so your exposure is probably limited to entry tier recruiters....otherwise you would understand the scope of a comprehensive interviewing process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,316,857 times
Quote:
Actually interviews are only a waste of time for the applicant, especially these days where they file in about 50 people for each job.
I've never heard of 50 interviews for just one position. The number I hear is about 7 phone interviews/screens, and then 2-3 in person. Interviewing does cost a company alot of money, and in today's economy pennies must be pinched, which probably exacerbates the problem it you don't have a good resume. The good news is that if you do get an interview your shot is actually better than before, because companies are interviewing less per position, but they have far more applicants, and fewer positions.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,226,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
You have obviously never interviewed for upper level positions so your exposure is probably limited to entry tier recruiters....otherwise you would understand the scope of a comprehensive interviewing process.
Nice try though.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,011,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Interviews are never a waste of time if you are unemployed

Sure they are, an interview that you have little to no chance of getting a job with before you even walk in the door is time you could have spent pursuing more effective leads.

Further more its probably gas in the tank and a dry cleaning bill that you could ill afford in the first place.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,011,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I've never heard of 50 interviews for just one position. The number I hear is about 7 phone interviews/screens, and then 2-3 in person. Interviewing does cost a company alot of money, and in today's economy pennies must be pinched, which probably exacerbates the problem it you don't have a good resume. The good news is that if you do get an interview your shot is actually better than before, because companies are interviewing less per position, but they have far more applicants, and fewer positions.

Really? The last two jobs I interviewed for, I was one of 3 on one day, and one of 4 on one day on the other, and each one had several days of that. Hell, the last place I went to the interviewer was very clear she had "a gagillion" more people to interview and it was going to take 2 full weeks for her to even get through all of the candidates.

Even placement firms and temp agencies are sending dozens of candidates to each client just to see if one sticks.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,198,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Not here in Michigan, last 2 interviews I went on they had 14 or 15 in person interviews and both were giving out 2 positions. So avg it out to 7 in person interviews per job. Not great odds.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Sure they are, an interview that you have little to no chance of getting a job with before you even walk in the door is time you could have spent pursuing more effective leads.

Further more its probably gas in the tank and a dry cleaning bill that you could ill afford in the first place.

How would you know you had no shot?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or