U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
 
160 posts, read 378,443 times
Reputation: 207

Advertisements

I was recently offered a job, in which I know they will thoroughly check references. 2 out 3 have already responded back and are in good shape from my former managers. The other one I just found out is out for vacation outside of the country for several weeks. In the mean time, I'm not comfortable with providing any other references who are former supervisors or managers at the same company - what should I do in this situation?


Edit - the real question is do do you think two good references from two jobs several years ago will override an unavailable, or lukewarm/vague, or at worst a subtly negative reference from my most recent employer?

Last edited by fanman72; 07-23-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,013,543 times
Reputation: 2542
You were offered the job already, or is it pending on the references?

I cant stand jobs that require references. What is the point? You are just going to find people who are going to say good things, and eliminate anyone who would say something bad. In fact, I think there are even laws about being able to say anything detrimental. Some places wont even provide references, they just have this employment verification hotline for that very purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Reputation: 26526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I cant stand jobs that require references. What is the point? You are just going to find people who are going to say good things, and eliminate anyone who would say something bad. In fact, I think there are even laws about being able to say anything detrimental. Some places wont even provide references, they just have this employment verification hotline for that very purpose.
In my experience that doesn't hold true. Twice in the last 12 months I've checked references of potential employees and come up with absolute negatives. Why the applicants would even list as references previous employers who they know have nothing good to say about them is mind boggling but (and I've read confirming statements on this forum) some people think that NOBODY checks references any more.

As far as the law is concerned, you can't say anything negative unless that negative has been proven. In other words, if an employee steals from you and you let him go, you can't bring that up unless you file suit against him and he's convicted of the theft.

fanman72, I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you know that 2 out of 3 references responded favorably because they told you so or did the prospective employer tell you that? In any event, unless you're asked to provide another reference there's no need for you to come up with one. Relax and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,013,543 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As far as the law is concerned, you can't say anything negative unless that negative has been proven. In other words, if an employee steals from you and you let him go, you can't bring that up unless you file suit against him and he's convicted of the theft.

Anyone who would list a reference of someone who took them to trial over wrong doing is an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
 
160 posts, read 378,443 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You were offered the job already, or is it pending on the references?

I cant stand jobs that require references. What is the point? You are just going to find people who are going to say good things, and eliminate anyone who would say something bad. In fact, I think there are even laws about being able to say anything detrimental. Some places wont even provide references, they just have this employment verification hotline for that very purpose.
Pending on a background check. The company emphasized they do a very thorough background check, so I don't think they'll skimp out on anything. They're specifically requesting references from supervisors and managers, so that severely limits my pool of potential people to choose from.


No skeletons in the closet, other than this one potential reference situation. I know I'll get two positive references, but I'm afraid that one (and my most recent employer) will be unavailable- and that others within the company would be vague, lukewarm, refuse to confirm anything other than dates, and at worst say flat out disparaging remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM
 
160 posts, read 378,443 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:

fanman72, I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you know that 2 out of 3 references responded favorably because they told you so or did the prospective employer tell you that? In any event, unless you're asked to provide another reference there's no need for you to come up with one. Relax and good luck!

I know this for a fact, because one recruiter several months ago (completely separate from this job offer) requested I provide references up front so that he knows he's dealing with a good candidate. He told me he got good feedback from the two previous bosses. The other, the same one which is unavailable now was unavail then (which isn't BS as I know he travels half the time).

We've been in touch ever since and he sends me job leads.


So do you think two good references from two jobs several years ago will override an unavailable, or lukewarm/vague, or at worst a subtly negative reference from my most recent employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
 
4,805 posts, read 20,231,994 times
Reputation: 4972
Quote:
So do you think two good references from two jobs several years ago will override an unavailable, or lukewarm/vague, or at worst a subtly negative reference from my most recent employer?
It all depends on exactly how lukewarm, and exactly how good, and exactly the wording each used, and how much stock the potential new employer places in references. Too many variables to guess, and you'll exhaust yourself.

But since this is an employer reference and not a personal character reference, there is probably someone else at the company who can answer their questions and employers are generally smart enough to know to press 0 and be transferred to someone else. Its not like you are obliged to keep tabs on the comings and goings of workers at your former companies, or prevent them from taking vacations just because you might be applying for ajob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,696 times
Reputation: 10
legally what can potential employees ask a job refrence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top