U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
Reputation: 2285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Those are the type I receive. It's always from a foreign company and although I can't remember the title of the position it involves me receiving payments from customers and posting them to their account and they's pay me $3000 per month all while working from home! It's terrible
The only way the people who sent me this email would know that I'd even applied for a job with the particular company that they've mentioned in the letter is if they somehow were able to access the information through that company's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I don't like the fact that an employer I recently applied for wanted my consent for background and credit checks as part of the online application process.

In my opinion, this should be information they would get your consent for AFTER THEY HAVE OFFERED YOU A JOB, as a final condition of your employment.
I agree.

There is a particular company that just moved into our area that also does that. And, they only accept applications online. NO paper applications are accepted.

As bad as I needed a job, I couldn't make myself complete their application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Reputation: 26526
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The problem is not my SPAM filter.

I am not stupid. I don't post any information "willy nilly" anywhere.

I applied for a job with a well known American company through their online application on their website which should have been secure.

I "divulged" the typical information that you put on an application.

Name, address, birth date, SS, employment history --- etc.

Which, btw, is all the information needed for identity theft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well there's the difference between you and I. I would NEVER post my SS# or birthdate on any website for any reason. And neither would I put that information which you term as "typical" on a job application whether online or at a company's physical site.

I'm sorry, I was trying to be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I did not POST my SS or my birthdate on a website.

I filled out the company's online application.


There are MANY companies that ONLY accept Online Applications these days. If you want to work for them, you have to fill out their application.

I appreciate your response but you seem to be oblivious to the reality that this is common employment practice with many REAL, legitimate companies these days.

You can't submit your application without completing the information.
You already said that you submitted pertinent data online which included SS# and birthdate so don't be barking and growling at me. I was simply basing my response on what you said. There's not too much I'm oblivious to so hold the sarcasm and re-read what you wrote. All the best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 AM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You already said that you submitted pertinent data online which included SS# and birthdate so don't be barking and growling at me. I was simply basing my response on what you said. There's not too much I'm oblivious to so hold the sarcasm and re-read what you wrote. All the best to you.
We're talking about applying for employment with a major, American company that only accepts applications through their "secure" website.

Requiring people to fill out an online application has become common practice.

If you don't fill out the application completely, it will not be submitted. You know how computers work, right?
If you want to work for them, you don't have the option of leaving out information on the application.

That is the way it works.

If you don't fill out the application completely the program does not allow you to submit it.

I've been a hold out against this and have refused to in the past but it's become commonplace for employers these days.

And, it's wrong for companies to put us in this position.

If companies require online applications they are liable for damages (and for the cost of proactive protection) if their websites aren't secure.

I'm pretty upset about this situation. You are not helping.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-25-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Reputation: 26526
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
We're talking about applying for employment with a major, American company that only accepts applications through their "secure" website.

Requiring people to fill out an online application has become common practice.

If you don't fill out the application completely, it will not be submitted. You know how computers work, right?
If you want to work for them, you don't have the option of leaving out information on the application.

That is the way it works.

If you don't fill out the application completely the program does not allow you to submit it.

I've been a hold out against this and have refused to in the past but it's become commonplace for employers these days.

And, it's wrong for companies to put us in this position.

If companies require online applications they are liable for damages (and for the cost of proactive protection) if their websites aren't secure.

I'm pretty upset about this situation. You are not helping.
My apologies. I shall cease and desist from commenting further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,831,232 times
Reputation: 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I can't stand these long online applications employers now require you to complete. Those that really bug me are the ones where you upload your resume and then on the next few pages you are still required to fill in your employment and education information. I completed my application for a very large and well known company and they actually required me to put in my social security #! .......

I put mine in as well.
123-45-6789

I'll be more than happy to give it to your hiring manager in their office when I'm there for the background check/signing the contract.

I have an email called "MISTERPICKLES@hotmail.com" to register to online sites, (not job sites,) but places that require an email address for whatever reason.

With the phone number (123) 456-7890
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 11,296,242 times
Reputation: 3097
I wonder why the spammer/scammers insist you be a USC for their bogus "job offer"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Buffalo, trying to leave
1,228 posts, read 3,317,313 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I put mine in as well.
123-45-6789

I'll be more than happy to give it to your hiring manager in their office when I'm there for the background check/signing the contract.

I have an email called "MISTERPICKLES@hotmail.com" to register to online sites, (not job sites,) but places that require an email address for whatever reason.

With the phone number (123) 456-7890
So if the company decides to contact you, but won't do it by email you lose the job.

I've gotten 2 rejection letters stating that it was because I put a fake SSN in. I did 111-11-#### (the last 4 were real). You have no choice if you want to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
So if the company decides to contact you, but won't do it by email you lose the job.

I've gotten 2 rejection letters stating that it was because I put a fake SSN in. I did 111-11-#### (the last 4 were real).

You have no choice if you want to work.
You're right. That's the way it is. You have to fill out the application if you want to work and if they can't contact you then they've got a few thousand more people standing in line wanting the job.

I've only filled out a very few online applications and then only on the company websites of well known, reputable companies.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-25-2010 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I wonder why the spammer/scammers insist you be a USC for their bogus "job offer"
Obviously it's because they're not USC's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top