U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:10 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,302,440 times

Advertisements

I know some employers do it - but I honestly can't see ANY legitimate reason why they need a SSN to process a job application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM

9,950 posts, read 11,940,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Those are the type I receive. It's always from a foreign company and although I can't remember the title of the position it involves me receiving payments from customers and posting them to their account and they's pay me $3000 per month all while working from home! It's terrible
I have too but I wrote them back an outrageous letter and they left me alone.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by world citizen View Post
the only way the people who sent me this email would know that i'd even applied for a job with the particular company that they've mentioned in the letter is if they somehow were able to access the information through that company's website.
b i n g o !

Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,319,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
LIFELOCK is run by former criminal.

Please type in Google everything you can about LifeLock.

DO NOT go with them. LifeLock sued for $ 12 million dollars for Deceptive business practice...
I don't think that a company being run be an ex-con would preclude me from giving them my business. And a company so large as Lifelock has massive oversight, I would assume.

I think that it's probably a waste of money unless you are sure you have lost your information to a criminal...

It's interesting, I applied at a bank and they said there was a data breach and they gave me 3 years of a credit monitoring service. I checked it a couple times, get an email when my report is pulled and by whom (usually companies I am applying to) and it's very nice to have... I wouldn't pay for it though as I think it's an unnecessary expense.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
We're talking about applying for employment with a major, American company that only accepts applications through their "secure" website.

Requiring people to fill out an online application has become common practice.

If you don't fill out the application completely, it will not be submitted. You know how computers work, right?
If you want to work for them, you don't have the option of leaving out information on the application.

That is the way it works.

If you don't fill out the application completely the program does not allow you to submit it.

I've been a hold out against this and have refused to in the past but it's become commonplace for employers these days.

And, it's wrong for companies to put us in this position.

If companies require online applications they are liable for damages (and for the cost of proactive protection) if their websites aren't secure.

I'm pretty upset about this situation. You are not helping.
It's 2010 and thats how many employers do it now.

Many of them are likely hiring internally and just covering the bottom base of advertising the job.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
So if the company decides to contact you, but won't do it by email you lose the job.

I've gotten 2 rejection letters stating that it was because I put a fake SSN in. I did 111-11-#### (the last 4 were real). You have no choice if you want to work.
Remember the application asks you to swear that all information is truthful. Not trying to be mean but it is what it is...

Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think that a company being run be an ex-con would preclude me from giving them my business. And a company so large as Lifelock has massive oversight, I would assume.

I think that it's probably a waste of money unless you are sure you have lost your information to a criminal...

It's interesting, I applied at a bank and they said there was a data breach and they gave me 3 years of a credit monitoring service. I checked it a couple times, get an email when my report is pulled and by whom (usually companies I am applying to) and it's very nice to have... I wouldn't pay for it though as I think it's an unnecessary expense.
Would you like to know that the owner of LifeLock' ( Todd Davis ) own Social Security Number was Compromised 3 times ? The scammers DID break through and use his number . If that's okay with you....

What the FTC Found :
"
Your documents, while in our care, will be treated as if they were cash,” the company promised. * LifeLock

In truth, the FTC said, until at least September 2007, the company failed to provide “reasonable and appropriate security to prevent unauthorized access to personal information stored on its corporate network” either in transit through the network, stored in a database or transmitted over the internet.

None of the data was encrypted, said the FTC, either in storage or in transit. The company also had poor password management practices for employees and vendors who accessed the information.

Lifelock also failed to limit access to sensitive data to only those people who needed access.

What’s more, the company failed to apply critical security patches and updates to its network and “failed to employ sufficient measures” to detect and prevent unauthorized access to its network, “such as by installing antivirus or antispyware programs on computers used by employees to remotely access the network or regularly recording and reviewing activity on the network,” the complaint said.

And this : LifeLock Co Founder Robert Maynard was suspected of being an Identity Thief himself and stealing his father's identity to get a American Express Card. He has since resigned after the News report went public he is NOW working as a Contractor for LifeLock ( Oh that feels safe ! )

Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,129,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
OP the above job is for you to ship stolen merchandise purchased with stolen credit card numbers. You also cash fake money orders and send them money back.

How did they get your info ? Well, they cut and paste logos onto letterheads and wallah - ! They are Ford or Chevron , like magic..

Did you go to an authorized encrypted job site to apply for your jobs ? And I mean ALL jobs. It is also possible you went to a viable web site and your information was sold or stolen from inside employees.

It can ALSO be things not related to employment sites. Did you order anything on line ? Did you fill out any forms online for anything ? They can get your info and just send out feeder emails to see if you will bite.

Its also possible that this was a random scam letter..
No. The only way they could have known that I'd even applied for that job is if they were somehow accessing that company's website...

I actually spoke with a representative of the company and I'm not the only one who received emails. They are aware that their website has been compromised.

I know about spam screening and with my security spam rarely makes it into my mailbox. I never fill out forms online. Regarding purchases made, I only pay with Paypal.

This email I received specifically said that they'd reviewed my information from the **** company website. In this case, it's got to be true since I did apply for employment with them a few months ago.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-26-2010 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I feel that this company should also offer to pay for that service. After I spoke with a Customer Service person in their Call Center I learned that they were aware that other people than me had also received unsolicited emails after applying for work through their website. This company is aware that a security breach has occurred on their website.

Paying for security monitoring is mentioned on the FTC site.... i.e., that companies should pay for it when these things happen.

The FTC site also tells you what to do to protect yourself after this happens. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do anything about starting that process until Friday due to my work schedule.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswillow View Post
Ugh, I'm sorry this happened to you. It bothers me so much that I have to give out this information when I apply to jobs....I hate thinking about all the people that may have access to my ss#. But you're absolutely right that most companies require you to fill out an online application, and the application won't be accepted unless all the information is completed. I think it's wrong that companies require this information until they are about to perform a background check (i.e., only if you will be hired). But what is a candidate to do who needs a job??
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search