Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,027,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I know some employers do it - but I honestly can't see ANY legitimate reason why they need a SSN to process a job application.
In the world of online applications, companies should not require that information on their applications.

If they do require it and something happens, they should be liable for protecting people from damage.

IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
In the world of online applications, companies should not require that information on their applications.

If they do require it and something happens, they should be liable for protecting people from damage.

IMO

Agreed, for an application it's just NOT necessary, so yes they should be held accountable for any breach of their systems.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well there's the difference between you and I. I would NEVER post my SS# or birthdate on any website for any reason. And neither would I put that information which you term as "typical" on a job application whether online or at a company's physical site.

I'm sorry, I was trying to be helpful.
a lot of jobs require that now. The county applications where i live ask for driver's license #, SSN and DOB It won't let you complete the applications without this info. I was told you can get around this by putting all 9's in but then if you actually get the job you have to go back and fill out the whole application again with the correct info.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
a lot of jobs require that now. The county applications where i live ask for driver's license #, SSN and DOB It won't let you complete the applications without this info. I was told you can get around this by putting all 9's in but then if you actually get the job you have to go back and fill out the whole application again with the correct info.
Yeah ... The government is the worse when it comes to the type of information requested on job applications. I used to work in a large city HR department and SS# were mandatory on the applications. Those who are saying just don't place that info on the apps must have no desire to work for our ever efficient government.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,934 times
LOL - as a non citizen I'm not eligible to work for our glorious gubmint anyways = )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search