Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times

Advertisements

I just checked my email and found an unsolitcited email from what was obviously a foreign source.

Quote:
Dear ****,

Our Organization have reviewed your job applicant profile from ***** website, looked it though and decided that you could be perfectly suitable for the post we offer.

Currently the company is searching for some skilled professionals for this open vacancy "Account Coordinator".

The candidate principal responsibility will be to process payments and transfers from our US consumers.
Our manager will assist you in opening checking account if you don't have any.

The customary weekly salary will make $600-$800.

Basic requirements:

- Ability to work as home-based employee
- Computer skills: MS Word personal e-mail address
- Responsibility
- US Citizenship

NO FEE IS REQUIRED FOR ENTERING THE JOB

Interested candidates please apply here.
I have resented that companies are forcing us to apply online. Many companies ONLY accept online applications these days.

I KNEW this was going to happen. And, how many others has it happened to already?

Obviously, this means that this foreign entity already has all of my personal information...

Now what do I do to stop them from using it?

Has anyone else had this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I don't like the fact that an employer I recently applied for wanted my consent for background and credit checks as part of the online application process.

In my opinion, this should be information they would get your consent for AFTER THEY HAVE OFFERED YOU A JOB, as a final condition of your employment.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
What personal information did you divulge online? If you divulged info such as your SS#, bank account number(s), pin numbers, etc. then you've only yourself to blame as it's common knowledge that you simply don't post such information willy-nilly on the internet. I'm assuming you weren't so dumb, in which case these sorts of emails are totally common. Don't even open them.

Delete this email, delete others of a similar nature and if you have a decent spam-blocking system utilize it and report any such messages that slip through as spam. If your ISP doesn't have a good blocking system then look into an alternative.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM

I applied for a job with a company a few months ago. This morning, I got the email that I posted from someone who says they reviewed my application from that company's website.

I've just learned that this company is aware of the breach of their website. I'm NOT the only person who's received these emails or whose information has been compromised.

They are apparently aware that their website was not secure.

I've just been on the FTC's site and plan to file a complaint today.

Information Compromised - Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft

I'm going to sign up with Lifelock. It seems to me that the company whose website was not secure should be paying for this service.

I've got other things to do today on my day off. I'm really angry.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What personal information did you divulge online? If you divulged info such as your SS#, bank account number(s), pin numbers, etc. then you've only yourself to blame as it's common knowledge that you simply don't post such information willy-nilly on the internet. I'm assuming you weren't so dumb, in which case these sorts of emails are totally common. Don't even open them.

Delete this email, delete others of a similar nature and if you have a decent spam-blocking system utilize it and report any such messages that slip through as spam. If your ISP doesn't have a good blocking system then look into an alternative.
The problem is not my SPAM filter.

I am not stupid. I don't post any information "willy nilly" anywhere.

I applied for a job with a well known American company through their online application on their website which should have been secure.

I "divulged" the typical information that you put on an application.

Name, address, birth date, SS, employment history --- etc.

Which, btw, is all the information needed for identity theft.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
I can't stand these long online applications employers now require you to complete. Those that really bug me are the ones where you upload your resume and then on the next few pages you are still required to fill in your employment and education information. I completed my application for a very large and well known company and they actually required me to put in my social security #! Several of them do that and it baffles me as to why they need all of this info when the odds of them actually checking it and calling me in for an interview is slim to none? I have only gotten solicitation emails like the one the OP when I had my resume on HotJobs or Careerbuilder and the scams are insane. I even had someone using a fake Nike email address email me about a supposed job she had that I was perfect for and all I needed to do was click on a link to obtain my credit report and do a background check and after that cleared she'd provide my start date. Although I quickly did the research to find out if this person even existed at Nike, I kept wondering how many poor, desperate, jobless, individuals got taken advantage of with this scam.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The problem is not my SPAM filter.

I am not stupid. I don't post any information "willy nilly" anywhere.

I applied for a job with a well known American company on their website which should have been secure.

I "divulged" the typical information that you put on an application.

Name, address, birth date, SS, employment history --- etc.

Which, btw, is all the information needed for identity theft.
Well there's the difference between you and I. I would NEVER post my SS# or birthdate on any website for any reason. And neither would I put that information which you term as "typical" on a job application whether online or at a company's physical site.

I'm sorry, I was trying to be helpful.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I can't stand these long online applications employers now require you to complete. Those that really bug me are the ones where you upload your resume and then on the next few pages you are still required to fill in your employment and education information. I completed my application for a very large and well known company and they actually required me to put in my social security #! Several of them do that and it baffles me as to why they need all of this info when the odds of them actually checking it and calling me in for an interview is slim to none? I have only gotten solicitation emails like the one the OP when I had my resume on HotJobs or Careerbuilder and the scams are insane. I even had someone using a fake Nike email address email me about a supposed job she had that I was perfect for and all I needed to do was click on a link to obtain my credit report and do a background check and after that cleared she'd provide my start date. Although I quickly did the research to find out if this person even existed at Nike, I kept wondering how many poor, desperate, jobless, individuals got taken advantage of with this scam.
I've never posted my resume on Career Builder or HOt Jobs for that reason.

The closest I've ever come is allowing my resume to be viewed by potential employers through the State Employment Service... and in only a few weeks I was receiving hang up calls and ended up changing my phone number.

If you read the email I received, it's obviously from a foreign company. Poor grammar, etc.

I love the line "If you don't have a bank account we'll be happy to help you set up one"...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I've never posted my resume on Career Builder or HOt Jobs for that reason.

The closest I've ever come is allowing my resume to be viewed by potential employers through the State Employment Service... and in only a few weeks I was receiving hang up calls and ended up changing my phone number.

If you read the email I received, it's obviously from a foreign company. Poor grammar, etc.

I love the line "If you don't have a bank account we'll be happy to help you set up one"...

Those are the type I receive. It's always from a foreign company and although I can't remember the title of the position it involves me receiving payments from customers and posting them to their account and they's pay me $3000 per month all while working from home! It's terrible

Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well there's the difference between you and I. I would NEVER post my SS# or birthdate on any website for any reason. And neither would I put that information which you term as "typical" on a job application whether online or at a company's physical site.

I'm sorry, I was trying to be helpful.
I did not POST my SS or my birthdate on a website.

I filled out the company's online application. We're talking about a well known, major American corporation...

There are MANY companies that ONLY accept Online Applications these days. If you want to work for them, you have to fill out their application.

I appreciate your response but you seem to be oblivious to the reality that this is common employment practice with many REAL, legitimate companies these days.

You can't submit your application without completing the information.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-25-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search