U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM

114 posts, read 107,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Wow, just wow.
Geez, how would you like to be in your 50's and told something like that? Maybe I should wish something like that on you just so you can understand....
also, people are often mean and very fickle, they, those that have left her, feel like their status is being dragged down, hanging around an unemployed person.......that's wrong though.
Age discrimination is almost getting as bad as racial discrimination in the work place, maybe even worse.
Wow nothing. You can wish anything on me, I would know better than to attribute my continued unemployment to my age (if I was unemployed). If all the OP's friends left the OP hanging high and dry that means the OP is either unbearable for his/her friends to be around or he/she has cruddy friends. Either way, it all comes back to him/her. If ALL of his/her friends left him/her because they're mean and fickle it shows he/she has very poor judgement. Who would want to hire someone like that? Why does it take you to until the time your friends dump you like day old fish to see that they're mean and fickle?

People need to stop blaming others for they're not getting hired and look toward themselves. Pretty soon 35 and 40 year olds will be pulling the age card.

If you can't find employment, create your own job. Take a vacuum, a mop, and some Liquid Gold around your neighborhood, knock on doors, and offer to vacuum, mop, and dust their homes for $20. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, you would make hundreds of dollars a day.

Stop making excuses and make things happen. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Wow nothing. You can wish anything on me, I would know better than to attribute my continued unemployment to my age (if I was unemployed). If all the OP's friends left the OP hanging high and dry that means the OP is either unbearable for his/her friends to be around or he/she has cruddy friends. Either way, it all comes back to him/her. If ALL of his/her friends left him/her because they're mean and fickle it shows he/she has very poor judgement. Who would want to hire someone like that? Why does it take you to until the time your friends dump you like day old fish to see that they're mean and fickle?

People need to stop blaming others for they're not getting hired and look toward themselves. Pretty soon 35 and 40 year olds will be pulling the age card.

If you can't find employment, create your own job. Take a vacuum, a mop, and some Liquid Gold around your neighborhood, knock on doors, and offer to vacuum, mop, and dust their homes for $20. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, you would make hundreds of dollars a day.

Stop making excuses and make things happen. Good grief.
Aren't you a sweetheart. First off I don't think knocking on doors these days is going to gain entrance into many homes.

And at age 54 the OP may not be in the kind of shape it takes to clean houses.

They didn't say everyone they know has dropped them. What happens in situations like this is there are people who do distance themselves.

They're either afraid it is going to happen to them(like they can catch being laid off) or they fear they will be hit up for a loan.

Either way your post was way out of line.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:08 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,969,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Aren't you a sweetheart. First off I don't think knocking on doors these days is going to gain entrance into many homes.

They didn't say everyone they know has dropped them. What happens in situations like this is there are people who do distance themselves.

They're either afraid it is going to happen to them(like they can catch being laid off) or they fear they will be hit up for a loan.

Honestly, if your friends distance themselves from you just because they are "afraid" unemployment is catching or because they are worried you will hit them up for a loan--it goes to show you that they were not your friends to begin with.

I don't mess with acquaintances. Or Hi-Bye friends.

I do not have a plethora of friends, but the friends that I do have would not desert me if I were long term unemployed. Heck, two of my friends ARE long term unemployed (both decided to quit their jobs).

Now, if the OP is thinking because they don't answer their phones all the time for him/her then perhaps the OP is not cognizant to his/her friends' needs. I have a friend who is unemployed and she ends up calling me during the middle of the day.

I have gently reminded her that I am employed and that I can't chit chat during the day. It is weird because she *knows* this but I think she forgets because she is only doing errands or chores at home.

However, she nor I would say we are "distant" now.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM

229 posts, read 519,211 times
It is hard to find a job in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area when you are older. I am 56 and still have not found anything. I have had a couple of interviews and even though I do die my hair, unfortunately, there are wrinkles I can't get rid of or hide. The last interview I had, I saw the shock on their faces when they met me because I only go back 10 years on my resume. I was hoping my charm and charisma would overcome that. Alas, they chose someone else.

One of the problems here is that there are so many Universities/colleges and the jobs are going to younger people because they are here and will accept a lower wage. I would/will too, but my career is such that even though I state I am more interested in the job than a high wage, I'm not sure they believe me.

So, there is an age bias here. And there are hundreds of people applying for the same jobs and it is an employers market. I myself am finally going to go ahead and give up my house and move to Illinois to live with my brother and his family while I search for a job there, because it is not happening here.

But, I wish I didn't have to. I really hate losing my house, but I need to work and that is that.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Honestly, if your friends distance themselves from you just because they are "afraid" unemployment is catching or because they are worried you will hit them up for a loan--it goes to show you that they were not your friends to begin with.

I don't mess with acquaintances. Or Hi-Bye friends.

I do not have a plethora of friends, but the friends that I do have would not desert me if I were long term unemployed. Heck, two of my friends ARE long term unemployed (both decided to quit their jobs).

Now, if the OP is thinking because they don't answer their phones all the time for him/her then perhaps the OP is not cognizant to his/her friends' needs. I have a friend who is unemployed and she ends up calling me during the middle of the day.

I have gently reminded her that I am employed and that I can't chit chat during the day. It is weird because she *knows* this but I think she forgets because she is only doing errands or chores at home.

However, she nor I would say we are "distant" now.

Maybe if the OP was constantly depressed or complaining then that maybe a reason they were avoiding him/her

Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,319,396 times
Why is everyone attacking the OP? Seriously. I feel like I've been left to my own sometimes. All my friends are working and they can afford to have fun, I'm stuck eating beans and rice 6 days a week. So it's tough, and if I were told I was fired, I would beg, plead, and scream for my job too... I would at least ask if there is anything I can do to change it.

The OP can't be stupid, they made a good career, and decent money. They've come on very hard times. I don't really have any advice, but just ignore these people, they aren't there to help you obviously, just to insult a total stranger - I suppose.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 PM

114 posts, read 107,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

My post isn't out of line at all. It just refuse to attend the pity party on the sympathy train that unemployed people on this forum seem unable to escape from.

To address your first point, there are thousands of businesses where people established themselves by knocking on doors. Knocking on doors can eventually lead to word of mouth, which will increase your business' success rate exponentially. Stop making excuses and start making money.

If your friends abandon you because of your employment status, they were never good friends to begin with. That indicates poor judgement on your part. Don't blame your "friends." If you have poor judgement, why in the blazes would anyone want to hire you? It's a logical question. If you are begging your friends for money or for a couch to sleep on you deserve to be dumped. How embarrassing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Why is everyone attacking the OP? Seriously. I feel like I've been left to my own sometimes. All my friends are working and they can afford to have fun, I'm stuck eating beans and rice 6 days a week. So it's tough, and if I were told I was fired, I would beg, plead, and scream for my job too... I would at least ask if there is anything I can do to change it.
You're wondering why you're unemployed? Really? This sounds absolutely psychotic and way beyond unprofessional. You WILL need to use your old boss as a reference for a new job, but you left your old boss with the impression that you have the emotional maturity of a 3 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
The OP can't be stupid, they made a good career, and decent money. They've come on very hard times. I don't really have any advice, but just ignore these people, they aren't there to help you obviously, just to insult a total stranger - I suppose.
I don't think the OP is stupid at all. The OP just makes stupid assumptions... and excuses.

My purpose is not to insult, but to make the OP aware that pulling the age card at 54 is beyond ridiculous. It has already set off a chain reaction with someone saying that age discrimination starts as young as 45. Please.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,400 times
Default stay strong

I know what you are going through and I'm 44 years old. I'm off for the summer from "On Call Substitute teaching. I know it's a part-time job, but it's like babysitting now a days. I'm in Grad School to become a better teacher one day. The cost to get a teaching credential I can't afford. I just start applying for jobs in North Carolina. Great schools for my son and a future profession for me...I hope.

Hang in there. You should considering moving as well. This is why I joined this site today.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM

4,969 posts, read 7,320,559 times
Quote:
My post isn't out of line at all. It just refuse to attend the pity party on the sympathy train that unemployed people on this forum seem unable to escape from.

To address your first point, there are thousands of businesses where people established themselves by knocking on doors. Knocking on doors can eventually lead to word of mouth, which will increase your business' success rate exponentially. Stop making excuses and start making money.

If your friends abandon you because of your employment status, they were never good friends to begin with. That indicates poor judgement on your part. Don't blame your "friends." If you have poor judgement, why in the blazes would anyone want to hire you? It's a logical question. If you are begging your friends for money or for a couch to sleep on you deserve to be dumped. How embarrassing for you.

You're wondering why you're unemployed? Really? This sounds absolutely psychotic and way beyond unprofessional. You WILL need to use your old boss as a reference for a new job, but you left your old boss with the impression that you have the emotional maturity of a 3 year old.

I don't think the OP is stupid at all. The OP just makes stupid assumptions... and excuses.

My purpose is not to insult, but to make the OP aware that pulling the age card at 54 is beyond ridiculous. It has already set off a chain reaction with someone saying that age discrimination starts as young as 45. Please.

You may want to do some research, in some states (maybe even federally), people over 40 are a protected class just like handicapped people or blacks when it comes to discrimination.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,319,396 times
Quote:

Umm, but I am employed, and I have another job lined up.

Please allow me to quote you below, for everyone's amusement at your expense. Please note that Mr. Rum mentions stupid assumptions when he assumed that I was unemployed, which was VERY stupid.

Quote:
The OP just makes stupid assumptions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search