U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,215,643 times

Advertisements

I too faced age discrimination in one job interview when a younger man interviewed me and was shocked to figure out I was 40. Now I'm 102 weeks unemployed but I turned to stock trading with $35,000 in Scottrade to make money. But I still apply for jobs but get no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:32 PM

114 posts, read 107,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Umm, but I am employed, and I have another job lined up.

Please allow me to quote you below, for everyone's amusement at your expense. Please note that Mr. Rum mentions stupid assumptions when he assumed that I was unemployed, which was VERY stupid.
Well your statement shows that you should be unemployed. Perhaps some of these unemployed folks who don't defy their bosses should have your job(s).

BTW, it's Ms. Coke. I am NOT a mister and my surname is not Rum!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,345,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
You clearly have some issues. The fact that you "begged, pleaded, and screamed" when you were fired indicates that you are extremely unstable . If ALL of your friends have left your side, the problem is more than likely with you.

It also sounds like you jump to rash conclusions. You're 54 and claim that you're too old get hired. Girl, please. Retirement age for you at most places wouldn't be for at least 10 years. If you were 64, it might be a different story. Your age is a clear cop out from some other issue that is preventing you from being hired .

Pull it together and it will all work out!
What's with all the pseudo dime-store psychoanalysis? And please, could you cut down on all the smilies, it's like a rash.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 AM

9,735 posts, read 18,450,812 times
The op earned 76k yr. She didnt state whats the min she would work for. A neighbor of mine is 52 & just took a job that grosses 36k yr.

Thats 20k+ less then what he was earning a yr or so ago. Would the op settle for say 30k a yr ?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,925,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
What's with all the pseudo dime-store psychoanalysis? And please, could you cut down on all the smilies, it's like a rash.
Exactly.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM

256 posts, read 1,046,766 times
Default Definitely don't give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Term Unemployed View Post
Age 54, too young to retire, too old to be hired. That is me!

I am at my wits end trying to find a job. Until early 2009 I was a successful business executive with a great job as a Operations Manager for a great company. That was until January 6th. I was pulled into my bosses office and told that I was being laid off for economic reasons. They just could not afford me anymore. My duties were fanned out to three different employees none of them had any experience or knowledge in my career.

I begged, I pleaded and screamed for them to reconsider. My boss just stared at me. Didn't say a word after his initial comments which were read off a script. I left in tears.

Fast forward to July 2010 and I have applied at hundreds of companies and only had 3 interviews. Once they saw my grey hair and wrinkles the interview was cut short. All my friends have cut me off and called me lazy. People talk about me behind my back. They say they know it is tough out there but think I am not trying hard enough. My relatives all have different points of view on my resume and give conflicting advice. My resume has been updated dozens of times.

Here is what I would like answered:

Should I dye my grey hair brown?

How far back should I go on my resume. 10 years, 20 years, 30 years?

What should I say I have been doing since January 2009?

How can I apply for jobs that pay half of what I was making when they would see my last salary was $76K.

If I fill out an on line employment application should I put my date of birth on it if they ask or make up a number? How about the year of my high school graduation?

Is there hope? Know any long term unemployed people in their 50s who got back on their feet?
I am 53 and have just gotten a job after 19 months. You are not lazy, the market is saturated and the higher up you go, the less opportunities there are.

Everything has gone onto the Internet which is very frustrating but here's hope, after applying for job after job not knowing where my resume was going or if it were being read, I got a call from a recruiter who pulled my resume off of CareerBuilder. After 19 months of searching, I finally broke down and made it public to all recruiters and within a week, I was called. I am on the other side of the fence now and the company I work for tells EVERYONE to apply online to their website and they do use it.

Here is the name of a recruiter that a friend of mine worked for who specializes in upper management jobs. I'm pretty sure they can help, but if not, they may be able to direct you to someone who can.

Stroker, Jones & Associates
5925 Carnegie Boulevard (in South Park area)
Charlotte, NC 28277
704-367-1998

Just realized that I am assuming that you are in the Charlotte area. But for what it is worth, give it a try.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,839,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Wow nothing. You can wish anything on me, I would know better than to attribute my continued unemployment to my age (if I was unemployed). If all the OP's friends left the OP hanging high and dry that means the OP is either unbearable for his/her friends to be around or he/she has cruddy friends. Either way, it all comes back to him/her. If ALL of his/her friends left him/her because they're mean and fickle it shows he/she has very poor judgement. Who would want to hire someone like that? Why does it take you to until the time your friends dump you like day old fish to see that they're mean and fickle?

People need to stop blaming others for they're not getting hired and look toward themselves. Pretty soon 35 and 40 year olds will be pulling the age card.

If you can't find employment, create your own job. Take a vacuum, a mop, and some Liquid Gold around your neighborhood, knock on doors, and offer to vacuum, mop, and dust their homes for $20. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, you would make hundreds of dollars a day.

Stop making excuses and make things happen. Good grief.
I'm interested in seeing how the OP ended up. For one thing, I know that it's not helpful to kick him/her while they're down with a demeaning pep-talk and insinuating that anyone who is frustrated with the employment/job searching situation must be lazy.

Two, are you serious? How many people do you really think will let a stranger knocking on their door with a can of "Liquid Gold" into their home? I know I wouldn't under any circumstances, regardless of whether he says he's "looking for work". Even if I needed cleaning, my family's safety comes first.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 AM

34 posts, read 73,668 times
54, mmm, as long as you arent totally gone to seed ,i would start washing windows today. or as said earlier ,start a house cleaning service . sure it may be hard at first ,BUT THE WORKS THERE WAITING for you to knock on their door , and after a while you can employ and take more of a backseat

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 AM

34,445 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyald View Post
54, mmm, as long as you arent totally gone to seed ,i would start washing windows today. or as said earlier ,start a house cleaning service . sure it may be hard at first ,BUT THE WORKS THERE WAITING for you to knock on their door , and after a while you can employ and take more of a backseat
Obviously after 2 years the op's original job title isnt looking for her/his qualifications so its time to forget the middle management position and start hustling for something a little more rudimentary, how about getting a truck driving license and driving a truck.or school bus?or shuttle bus from the airport.Restaurant work?,nursing home work? I really sympathize with your situation but you are too young to retire so you have to start doing something before all the money runs out.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 AM

543 posts, read 2,849,079 times
You could become a truck driver, there's plenty of trucking jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search