U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: West Texas
423 posts, read 719,936 times
Reputation: 269

Advertisements

Well, here's the thing. Last Tuesday I attended a job interview. I've been interviewed by like 10 hiring managers. I thought interview went excellent, I presented myself really well, answered every technical question they had to assess my skills. Company had multiple positions open and I saw absolutely no reason why they'd have a problem hiring me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to send Thank You letters to any of these guys, because they wouldn't give me their emails, they'd just say "If you have any questions you may contact the recruiter." Basically, I haven't had any direct contact with hiring managers prior to the interview, everything was set up by the recruiter. A coordinator at the interview told me and several other applicants, that we should check back with a recruiter in a week. So I did. I sent an email to him (2 days ago) very politely asking if the managers reached their decision, and if not when should I check back. I never got a response. Before this the recruiter answered every single one of my emails within minutes after I sent them. So yesterday I called him and left a message on his answering machine. It's been 24 hours and still no response.

I can only assume that I didn't get the job. Which is fine. But why just not tell me? Not that I'm really upset over it, I have two other interviews coming up, it's just that I was really interested in this particular job and also the interview required me to fly to a different state, and it would suck that a pretty exhausting trip was for nothing.

Anyways what do you think is the best course of action for me? Keep trying to contact the recruiter or continue sending out resumes and focus on the upcoming interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
 
4 posts, read 20,651 times
Reputation: 12
Hi Heimdall - I would concentrate on the upcoming interviews. However, you may still hear from the other recruiter. You said that it's been 24 hours and still no response. That's not really that much time. Even the two days after an e-mail isn't all that much. Sometimes a bunch of people need to decide on who is going to get hired, and that could take weeks. I would leave it alone, and if you hear from them, great; if not, you still have the upcoming interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Location: West Texas
423 posts, read 719,936 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajseidman View Post
Hi Heimdall - I would concentrate on the upcoming interviews. However, you may still hear from the other recruiter. You said that it's been 24 hours and still no response. That's not really that much time. Even the two days after an e-mail isn't all that much. Sometimes a bunch of people need to decide on who is going to get hired, and that could take weeks. I would leave it alone, and if you hear from them, great; if not, you still have the upcoming interviews.
Unfortunately the more tips I read on a proper follow-up etiquette the more I get confused. Because everyone seems to have entirely different opinion on this, but my intuition tells me that if a company has 200+ applicants, even for multiple positions, the hiring managers may not even remember who I am, so my guess is I should remind them of me and reiterate the interest in this position. The only question is how to do without looking like a guy who by some miracle got a hot girl's phone number and now bombarding her with txt messages "Please go out with me!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Anywhere USA
146 posts, read 360,178 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajseidman View Post
Hi Heimdall - I would concentrate on the upcoming interviews. However, you may still hear from the other recruiter. You said that it's been 24 hours and still no response. That's not really that much time. Even the two days after an e-mail isn't all that much. Sometimes a bunch of people need to decide on who is going to get hired, and that could take weeks. I would leave it alone, and if you hear from them, great; if not, you still have the upcoming interviews.
I agree, concentrate on the upcoming interviews. You contacted the recruiter like you were suppose to. He could be busy or out of the office. If they want to hire you, they will contact you. Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Buffalo, trying to leave
1,228 posts, read 3,318,237 times
Reputation: 775
I've had bad experiences with recruiters. Many are EXTREMELY busy conducting interviews, job fair, and other inquiries. I've had recruiters follow up 5 days after a message or email, some have ignored several messages and emails.

It stinks, and it's a reality of the job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
 
14 posts, read 61,205 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Well, here's the thing. Last Tuesday I attended a job interview. I've been interviewed by like 10 hiring managers. I thought interview went excellent, I presented myself really well, answered every technical question they had to assess my skills. Company had multiple positions open and I saw absolutely no reason why they'd have a problem hiring me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to send Thank You letters to any of these guys, because they wouldn't give me their emails, they'd just say "If you have any questions you may contact the recruiter." Basically, I haven't had any direct contact with hiring managers prior to the interview, everything was set up by the recruiter. A coordinator at the interview told me and several other applicants, that we should check back with a recruiter in a week. So I did. I sent an email to him (2 days ago) very politely asking if the managers reached their decision, and if not when should I check back. I never got a response. Before this the recruiter answered every single one of my emails within minutes after I sent them. So yesterday I called him and left a message on his answering machine. It's been 24 hours and still no response.

I can only assume that I didn't get the job. Which is fine. But why just not tell me? Not that I'm really upset over it, I have two other interviews coming up, it's just that I was really interested in this particular job and also the interview required me to fly to a different state, and it would suck that a pretty exhausting trip was for nothing.

Anyways what do you think is the best course of action for me? Keep trying to contact the recruiter or continue sending out resumes and focus on the upcoming interviews?
Classic Recruiter BS..........

they definitely are NOT going to hire you and the recruiter doesnt have the balls or the professionalism to simply tell you this and the are hoping that you will just eventually stop calling.

Recruiters will call you back if the client is interested in you. period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 PM
 
8,976 posts, read 8,104,989 times
Reputation: 19496
Quote:
Unfortunately the more tips I read on a proper follow-up etiquette the more I get confused. Because everyone seems to have entirely different opinion on this, but my intuition tells me that if a company has 200+ applicants, even for multiple positions, the hiring managers may not even remember who I am, so my guess is I should remind them of me and reiterate the interest in this position. The only question is how to do without looking like a guy who by some miracle got a hot girl's phone number and now bombarding her with txt messages "Please go out with me!"
If they have a lot of applicants like you say, it can take 2 or 3 weeks, to do the interviews. Then they have to be evaluated and compared to select the best ones to hire. Those HM people have more to do, than just interview for a particular job.

You are not even allowing them time, to go through the process. You want to know right now where you stand, and they have not gotten around to making decisions. It depends on how soon they need the new people to start. They may be working on a 4 to 6 week schedule, to bring new people aboard. Quit pushing so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top