Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I have my BA in English and minored in journalism; I've been told that too. The first time it was by a black woman in the field and I suspect she had that "there can't be too many of us in here so better me than you" attitude. The most recent time it was by someone who will have a hard time breaking into any field because they spend all their time whining about irrelevant ish.

Don't buy into the crap. There's nothing blocking you from getting there if that's really where you want to be.

My advice to you would be to keep trying. Work on your body language. Network network network. If you have friends in the industry make sure they know you're looking for a job and constantly ask them if they know anyone who knows someone.
I ran out of rep points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I agree that having a third party assess a mock interview would be a good idea. Maybe the OP does look down. Maybe he/she is depressed and has a somewhat flat expression (depression will do that to ya...)
Best wishes.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
I walk into every interview as though I was meeting a friend. It puts me at ease and establishes an easy back and forth speaking pattern. Body language is important too, don't keep your arms crossed and occasionally lean "into" the conversation.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 PM

59 posts, read 147,769 times
Quote:
I have my BA in English and minored in journalism; I've been told that too. The first time it was by a black woman in the field and I suspect she had that "there can't be too many of us in here so better me than you" attitude. The most recent time it was by someone who will have a hard time breaking into any field because they spend all their time whining about irrelevant ish.

Don't buy into the crap. There's nothing blocking you from getting there if that's really where you want to be.

My advice to you would be to keep trying. Work on your body language. Network network network. If you have friends in the industry make sure they know you're looking for a job and constantly ask them if they know anyone who knows someone.
It gets hard not to get discouraged about something I can't control (ie. my skin color) because I feel like it has limited my career choices somewhat. The only thing I can think to do is create my own opportunities.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly95 View Post
It gets hard not to get discouraged about something I can't control (ie. my skin color) because I feel like it has limited my career choices somewhat. The only thing I can think to do is create my own opportunities.
No it's not hard. It take more effort to let yourself get discouraged. And I'm sorry but the whole "my skin color is keeping me from getting a job" thing is really annoying. Unless your skin is purple, I doubt it's that big of a deal

Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
No it's not hard. It take more effort to let yourself get discouraged. And I'm sorry but the whole "my skin color is keeping me from getting a job" thing is really annoying. Unless your skin is purple, I doubt it's that big of a deal
and it's a sign of being weak

Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:

It's difficult to break into any field when you don't have the prior relevant experience. I've been turned down for "entry-level" jobs that would have helped me break in because I didn't have enough experience. When I heard my ex-classmates were getting all these opportunities when I assumed there were none, I was surprised.

It's like the companies have "gatekeepers" to keep certain people out. I just noticed that only certain companies would call me to work and certain others wouldn't. The racial makeup of certain companies are different. It is what it is.

It's just what I've observed since being in the working world.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
My skin color hasn't kept me from getting a job, I'm saying that in certain industries, there are few people of color. Therefore, you have to work like 10 times harder to get to the same place because there are so few represented.

The places I interned at, you could count the number of black executives on less than one hand.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
It is possible your skin color is keeping you from getting a job now. I doubt you look that bored at an interview. Do you have health conditions that would make the appearances that you are fatigued or overwhelmed?

Quote:
My skin color hasn't kept me from getting a job, I'm saying that in certain industries, there are few people of color. Therefore, you have to work like 10 times harder to get to the same place because there are so few represented.

The places I interned at, you could count the number of black executives on less than one hand.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
It's difficult to break into any field when you don't have the prior relevant experience. I've been turned down for "entry-level" jobs that would have helped me break in because I didn't have enough experience. When I heard my ex-classmates were getting all these opportunities when I assumed there were none, I was surprised.

It's like the companies have "gatekeepers" to keep certain people out. I just noticed that only certain companies would call me to work and certain others wouldn't. The racial makeup of certain companies are different. It is what it is.

It's just what I've observed since being in the working world.
Quote:

I highly suggest you drop the skin color thing as of right now and never look back on it. Bottom line is, you are not an engaging person during an interview. This is on you, has nothing to do with your skin color.

You are trying to get an entry level media position. For every entry level position, there are 100+ people dying to get that job who have the same routine background as you. If you walk in the door with even the slightest nagging feeling that you have a strike against you, you are giving off a bit of a loser vibe. Skin color is only one example. For instance I work in a medium in which one finds an extremely high number of Ivy League grads. The white guy who walks into an interview thinking, "They will just give this job to a crony from Yale, too bad I went to State U" will be giving off the same loser vibe that you give people based on race.

Stop walking in the door thinking about how many black executives there are. Start walking in the door thinking about how you may be the next black executive and show people what you are made of. You should be working on how to establish rapport with people in a short period of time. Judging from your opening posts, I'd guess this is your biggest weakness. When only 1 in 100 gets the job, and none of you have any worthwhile experience yet, you need to be the candidate people want to work with everyday. You need to be the candidate with the spark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search