U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM

736 posts, read 918,784 times

Advertisements

You did not specify what is meant by follow-up. Assuming that you are most likely referring to sending a thank you note: I regard this custom or practice as an anachronism, but not in a literal sense, because most people are going to say it should be done.

I just think a thank you note will not be something that influences a hiring manager to extend an offer to someone who's resume and presentation at the interview stage is less impressive than someone else's. However, if someone wants to give preference to someone over a more qualified candidate, any old thing will serve up as an exuse, e.g. not conforming to this outdated custom.

Thank you notes (excepting some specialized situations) are very "Miss Manners" and 1950ish and should go the way of resumes via snailmail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I always follow up after interviews but to be honest it does not seem to do any good. I still do it anyway but It seems like it does not increase your chances of getting hired at all.

What do you think?

I always felt it was not a good idea because you no longer look like a strong candidate. If push comes to shove you can follow up with maybe a email but never a phone call.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,320,429 times
How could anyone say it's a bad idea?? It's absolutely recommended, it gives you the chance to reiterate your interest, and to say anything that you forgot to say. Also gives you the chance to show your writing skills, which is important in every field.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
You did not specify what is meant by follow-up. Assuming that you are most likely referring to sending a thank you note: I regard this custom or practice as an anachronism, but not in a literal sense, because most people are going to say it should be done.

I just think a thank you note will not be something that influences a hiring manager to extend an offer to someone who's resume and presentation at the interview stage is less impressive than someone else's. However, if someone wants to give preference to someone over a more qualified candidate, any old thing will serve up as an exuse, e.g. not conforming to this outdated custom.

Thank you notes (excepting some specialized situations) are very "Miss Manners" and 1950ish and should go the way of resumes via snailmail.
That is the problem today, the lack of basic manners.

You never used to hear of people not getting back to you after you interviewed, or being completely ignored when you send a email or leave a voice mail asking for a status on an interview held three weeks ago...after they tell people they will let you know either way.

Thanks.... I will take the "1950s Miss Manners" any day over the way things are now.

To answer the OP yes you should send a thank you email.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That is the problem today, the lack of basic manners.

You never used to hear of people not getting back to you after you interviewed, or being completely ignored when you send a email or leave a voice mail asking for a status on an interview held three weeks ago...after they tell people they will let you know either way.

Thanks.... I will take the "1950s Miss Manners" any day over the way things are now.

To answer the OP yes you should send a thank you email.

The 50's???-lol

Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Yeah when people had manners.

I recently was on a Southwest Airlines flight and ordered a beer, the flight attendant said "the Heinken is on me, you're only the second person who has said please and thank you".

Now I was in the back of the plane and it was a full flight. I still think having manners works to your advantage, whether you're looking for a job or just in everyday life.

It is really sad how rude and inconsiderate people have become, it is a sign of a decline in civilization.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 AM

8,815 posts, read 13,305,626 times
I send thank you emails. It gets to them fast and is not as disrupting, thus likely to annoy them, as a phone call. They can read it at their leisure or ignore it but it likely won't tic them off.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,311,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's expected. Not doing it can only make your situation worse.
Yeah. I do it because its expected and I think it looks bad if you don't.

What I often wonder if how bad does it look if you don't do a cover letter? I try to with every application but sometimes I just don't feel like it. Plus, I got my last job without one.

And I have been to so many interviews where they clearly didn't read it and only have the resume in front of them (if they do that).

Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 AM

15,606 posts, read 25,036,665 times
Quote:
I always follow up after interviews but to be honest it does not seem to do any good. I still do it anyway but It seems like it does not increase your chances of getting hired at all.

What do you think?

Waste of time, don't bother. If you have an interview and you do not know then that you have the job, take it as you don't....so that way if you get a call later on and did get it, it will make you happy.

This follow up stuff is just nonsense.......

Old 08-05-2010, 11:06 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,655,512 times
Quote:

What do you think?
It may not seem to do any good, but I don't see the harm. It tells them you're still interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or