U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,988,384 times

Advertisements

I always follow up after interviews but to be honest it does not seem to do any good. I still do it anyway but It seems like it does not increase your chances of getting hired at all.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,464,844 times
Agree with you 100%

Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM

39 posts, read 233,672 times
I have gotten jobs without following up, but usually only because I've received an offer before I had a chance to follow-up. I always do it just in case (unless I don't want the job), but I really tend to doubt that they do any good. When I was part of a hiring committee, the only time I really noticed was when everyone else on the committee received a thank you note, except me. That was a bad idea!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,000,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I always follow up after interviews but to be honest it does not seem to do any good. I still do it anyway but It seems like it does not increase your chances of getting hired at all.

What do you think?
It's expected. Not doing it can only make your situation worse.

Kind of like a lineman in football. The only time you hear his name mentioned on TV his when his holding penalty negates an 80 yard touchdown pass.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,115,521 times
The hiring managers that I have worked with do not have the time for follow ups, and a couple of them have been known to get pissed off by them. Most follow up calls never get past the receptionist, weather you are following up on a resume that you submitted or after an interview.

*disclaimer* I have never worked at a company with an HR department. Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,805,662 times
I don't think it can hurt. I always send a handwritten thank you note to say how much I appreciate their time and look forward to speaking with them again (hint hint ).

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM

22 posts, read 38,605 times
The career services offices at my university would literally block you from using their services (job board, counselors, etc) if you didn't send a thank you note to someone you interviewed with through them. It can only help if you write one, and it could hurt you if you don't. I'd strongly suggest you keep on following up.

Also, generally I would write individual thank you letters to each of my interviewers unless there were more than 5 people interviewing me in a single session. Always ask for contact information as one of your last questions during an interview if they didn't already give you it.

As far as calling them about you application status; it can help. Sometimes it's just reminding them that they have an open position. Just like anyone else, HR people can get bogged down in their work and forget things. Having your name show up can also open you up to other opportunities even if you don't get the job you interviewed for. Sure it might annoy them, but that could also show you are devoted to the job.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,845,700 times
From the few interviews I've had I ALWAYS do a follow up thank you email.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,200,235 times
Not saying not to do it but I question that it does anything for you. Cant hurt I suppose.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,699,044 times
I send thank you notes but I never call. I'm not sure what I would say anyway.

Besides, suppose you call at a bad time when he is very busy or just got his butt chewed by an angry customer or his boss. He probably doesn't want to be bothered by somebody looking to kiss his butt with cheery small talk and faint praise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or