Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times

Advertisements

I've had 3 phone interviews with individuals whom I'd work for as an assistant. However, all 3 of them warned me how the sales people, the "big guns" can become "emotional". "These guys all live on commission so they can start cussing on the phone with clients, do you think you can live with that?"

I don't mind hearing the f-bomb every once in a while, but I'm wondering if this is a sign that I should stay away.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM

336 posts, read 589,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I've had 3 phone interviews with individuals whom I'd work for as an assistant. However, all 3 of them warned me how the sales people, the "big guns" can become "emotional". "These guys all live on commission so they can start cussing on the phone with clients, do you think you can live with that?"

I don't mind hearing the f-bomb every once in a while, but I'm wondering if this is a sign that I should stay away.

Thank you!
It could indicate the level of stress those guys have, which can affect you at your job every day if you're an assistant.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
No, you can learn a lot from sales guys. They make the big money too. Maybe one day you can move into that career.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:

Thank you!
If that's all that's really going on, I wouldn't worry about it. They may just be telling you that because some people get really offended by cursing in the office. I don't, but that doesn't mean others don't...so I do my best to refrain from it.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's only a red flag if you are unable to handle and deal with it. It's really typical of any kind of high pressure commissioned sales environment. Those "big guns" are very demanding of their support staff, and sacred to management because of the revenue they bring in.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Sounds like it. Perhaps you don't fit in with a high pressure commission job, and it has nothing personally to do with you.

Sounds like you want more of a professional type environment, and a job where people are pushed to sell, get stressed, start cussing, get all angry.. doesn't sound like a place you'd want to invest your professional energy into.

After all, the job you work in is also like an investment. If you can afford to be selective, do, because it shows up on your resume, and you want really good rapport with those you work with. I'm mostly thinking long-term what would suit you most, and the type of career you want to grow in.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
The sales people start cussing on the phone with clients???? With CLIENTS?????? What kind of environment is that?

As far as your position goes - I wouldn't worry about it as others have stated. They've probably had people get upset hearing this and they want to warn anyone new coming in.

But seriously, what company thinks it's okay to speak to clients this way and use that kind of language? That signals a break somewhere in the organization - but you need a job and can't be concerned about that.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:

Thank you!
If you aren't into hearing every curse under the sun and then some, it may not work for you but if you can put that aside, it might be worth it.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
Yea I've never heard of a salesmen cussing at clients, because they would never close deals.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:

Thank you!

You're being warned that the guys are a-holes in advance.

They will be rude and nasty to you with HR not doing anything about it.

I wish they would just come out and tell people this instead of giving "code words".

They will show you their real selves within the first week. Trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search