U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,969,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
...with no or few connections.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Like anything it depends on many factors.

I have two friends who recently left my company to go on to some pretty significant new jobs in a similar industry (although not the same).

One got the job through just applying via the company's website (she actually found the posting on Monster.com and the posting linked to the employer's website). She did not know anyone who worked there; the folks who hired her had no connections to her or anyone at our company either.

However, once she had an offer about to be presented she mentioned to HR that she had a coworker who was also interested in one of the jobs that was opened (Project Management/ Systems Analyst roles). HR immediately contacted the candidate (he had already applied a few weeks earlier but had never been called) and set up interviews with the hiring managers. I can definitely say that these actions were really because of the girl who was about to have the offer made. In the end, the company decided to pass on her coworker, but he had a series of 3 interviews so he was one of the finalists.

Now, he ended up getting another job that he was qualified for, but he also had a huge network at this other location. Several of his colleagues had gone over to work for this same company in the past couple of years and even though none of them were the hiring managers, they were able to connect with HR and the hiring managers to put in a good word.

I am currently interviewing for a position and I have worked with the some of the hiring panel in the past. I am sure that this has helped me be able to get as far in the hiring process as I have reached so far (and I am also an out of state candidate). However, I also have the exact skillset they are looking for- but I won't deny that it is not immensely helpful that I have a reputation with these hiring decision makers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM

1,735 posts, read 6,094,958 times
Knowing someone should do nothing more than get a foot in the door, and there's nothing wrong with that. But, once the foot is in the door, if you can't close the deal with your experience and abilities then the door should be closed. Expecting that the "in" is going to give you the inside shot if you're not qualified is a dealbreaker with me.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,644,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
I agree. I know TONS of people that have jobs just because of who they know or what school they attended. Is reality..
Yes. They'll even brag about it - they will often remind you that it's "not what you know but who you know" and rub it in that they are special and aren't expected to do much work.

You see these people in many places, they know they don't have to get their hands dirty with any real work, they "schmooze" and name drop and make it clear they are special people. What's more - it works for them.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
...with no or few connections.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
I can only speak for my personal experience. Where I live, here in the Missouri Ozarks, it is all about who you know. There is no need for anyone to have any skills whatsoever if they are friends with the right people. There are very well qualified individuals (me for one, LOL), out there who are capable, intelligent, educated *and* willing to give body, heart and soul to their job. However, they will go wanting because they do no know the right people.

Such is life. You have to be willing to play the game or suffer the consequences. Again, I don't know if it is like this everywhere, certainly not as bad in the big city, but it is sure like that here.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,239,591 times
I don't think the two can entirely be separated. Connections are short-lived unless you've got some substance to back up your charm. And well-qualified people tend to naturally build a network because people want to work with them or for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or