U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 AM

301 posts, read 992,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
A) They are subtly letting you know that you don't have a good chance of getting this job and you should be pursuing other opportunities.

B) they plan on stringing you along and dragging out this hiring process but they don't want to push you so far that you walk away.

C) they want to use your connections to sell their services, a common practice among recruiting/staffing agencies. It saves them the work of cold calling businesses, peddling their services. You give them 'warm' contacts--places that are interviewing are more likely to be receptive to their sales pitch.

I would respond as mentioned above, "why do you ask?". If they continue to push you to reveal your job search contacts, respond with something along the lines of "I am pursuing other leads but I'm not at liberty to discuss any details with you." And continue to refuse to offer details if they keep pushing.
I would be surprised at "A" as that would be a form of etiquette! In the days of not even knowing whether someone got your resume, I can't imagine someone caring whether you had a good chance at the position or not.... but... maybe I could be wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,430,119 times
Be 100% honest. People can tell when they are being lied to, and no one likes a dishonest person.

If you have another job pending tell them that and tell them why it is an attractive job. Any employer who is trying to strong-arm you into only applying to them or trying to lowball you into a lower salary isn't worth working for anyway.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,912,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I was leaning towards the fact that she wants to know if I am interviewing and/or getting offers etc. It's just that she has asked this FOUR times now. So, when she called me last week with feedback on my first interview and tips on my second interview.. she asked me again. It's just a recurring theme. I know that I am up against one other person so my shot is 50/50. The company recruiter (NOT 3rd party) says I have the technical skills for this position. I met with the woman I would be working with on my second interview... we hit it off pretty well (we had some interesting things in common) so, if I am a strong candidate (as the other one is) then, I can only hope I can win this with some aspect of my personality.
There was a thread on this board a while back bashing recruiters who don't tell you when you're not selected for a job. Well, the flip side of the coin is, candidates don't usually call a prospective employer to say "Mr. or Ms Employer, sorry.. I just accepted another offer and not interested in your job anymore". So don't be paranoid. She's just doing her due dilligence to make sure that you're still on-board for the position and also to know what competition she's up against for your talent. The last thing a recruiter wants is to have her candidate take another job without at least giving her a chance to make a compettive offer to you as well.

There's nothing a recruiter can do to stop you from interviewing elsewhere, but at least by letting her know up-front about your interview situation (this is especially important if you have a pending offer from another company), she can expedite the hriing process for you by keeping her hiring managers informed of what's going on, thus putting a sense of urgency in the process.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 13,069,368 times
Hmm I've never been asked that question before but if I were asked, I'd just not respond. I'd say that you are actively looking and don't care to make any other comments. Strange question though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search