U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,145,511 times

Advertisements

First off, how uncomfortable is that!? Second, how would you handle it? I created this profile nearly 2 years ago but barely ever used it. The security settings are pretty high- you can search and get my name, with not much other info showing. I suppose my HR person took a chance, on name alone, to just invite me. I think it would be really suspect if I were to suddenly delete my profile, but in all honesty, I don't really use it. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,449,337 times
Linked in always provides lists of other members based on work history if you do a search. That's how she found you. Many folks like to have a large group of contacts. If you don't want her to be a contact just ignore the request.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,418,079 times
Create a connection with everyone you can on linkedin. That is pretty normal.

The general rule is this: connect to anyone on linkedin that you would exchange business cards with in person.

Connect to only your boss and co-workers (but not your boss's boss) on facebook.

Welcome to social etiquette of internet media!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,122 times
I've always been told not to connect with someone on LinkedIn unless you know them or work for the same company as them. With that said, it isn't a bad idea to add someone who is an HR manager. You never know what it might lead to...

Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,223,704 times
Of course you should only connect with people you are comfortable being associated with. But if you're not going to connect with people you work with, what's the point of having an account at all?

HR connections are enormously useful to have. Most people want to be connected to them. And usually HR people are very reluctant to make such connections because it leads to expectations about promotions or job offers or inside information that they can't provide. So it is a good sign that your HR manager wants to be connected to you. But if you don't want to and don't want to burn the bridge, accept her invitation and then delete your account in a month or two.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM

9,026 posts, read 14,806,293 times
Actually, I'd be suspicious of connecting on Linked In with the HR manager, maybe it's their way of seeing that you're looking for other jobs and could affect your employment with them (or make them want to have reason to terminate you?).

Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,223,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually, I'd be suspicious of connecting on Linked In with the HR manager, maybe it's their way of seeing that you're looking for other jobs and could affect your employment with them (or make them want to have reason to terminate you?).
How would they be able to 'see' if you are looking for another job by being a LinkedIn connection? It's not like a connection creates a wormhole that gives them access to every keystroke on your computer or sends them a report with every online resume you've submitted or something.

And what reason would they have for firing OP for having a LI page? I suppose if OP has exaggerated or lied about their responsibilities that would be a problem. But the obvious and smarter solution then would be to not lie. And I suppose OP could have made inappropriate comments on a discussion group, but those comments are visible to anyone, HR doesn't need to 'connect' to see them. Since OP has said they barely use LI, its probably not necessary to make these assumptions about poor internet behavior.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,416,311 times
This is pretty standard. I'd say there's little reason to not connect to the HR person, as long as you've actually dealt with them on some level.

It's just networking nowadays. There was a guy that I worked on a school project with but hardly knew other than that which had connected to me. A year down the road, he was working for a client that I had been trying to attain. I randomly asked him what's up and eventually he was able to get me in touch with his VP. I took them out to a high end strip joint in nyc, and the following day I got a presentation spot in front of a few execs. Worked well for me.

You never know how your network can help you.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,418,079 times
As an FYI - I have been contacted out of the blue on LinkedIn with offers for job interviews before. If you build a decent network, it provides an avenue for recruiters and headhunters to get in touch with you.

You have to be careful what info you make available, but LinkedIn does have some upsides.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,965,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Seriously? That is pretty paranoid.

HR actually has other things to do than to just troll linkedin to find someone to fire or lay off.

And here is a little seekrit for you--- when they are laying off folks typically they end up asking management who they recommend for the cuts-- it is a rare day when HR makes the decision. They execute the decision but it is rare that HR is going to say wholesale that this whole department needs to go or these employees. HR ends up graciously accepting the blame but they are really just acting on orders from some other management party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search