Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
It's a grocery store stocker, not a school bus driver, who cares if the guy smokes a joint in his free time instead of having a jack and coke.

If the job has to do with children or safety go ahead and drug test all you want but its getting ridiculous how much money companies are wasting on drug tests for jobs that really just dont matter whether the person does drugs or not.

Also, marijuana, the least harmful drug, yes even behind alcohol stays in your system for a month while cocaine, meth, etc is out in days or hours. I'd rather have a guy who smokes a doobie onthe weekend working for me than a cokehead or methhead yet they are the ones who could pass a drug test most easily.

Drug tests dont tell you anything, they are innacurate and it tells you waht someone does in their free time. What should be done is impairment tests. If you are impaired at work your fired and yes impaired means hungover too not just drunk.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you really love twinkies and that your favorite movies are 'Up In Smoke' and 'Half-Baked'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I've worked in places that required drug testing, and places that didn't. Generally speaking, people who took drugs or drank heavily avoided the places that said prospective employees would be drug tested for pretty obvious reasons. As for the working environment, from my experience when all things were fairly equal (retail, a little above min wage, workers that are college aged) that there was a HUGE difference in the quality and morale of work done at the places that required a drug test than the places that didn't. If given the choice, I'd choose a place that required drug testing over a place that didn't based on my personal experiences in the past.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've worked in places that required drug testing, and places that didn't. Generally speaking, people who took drugs or drank heavily avoided the places that said prospective employees would be drug tested for pretty obvious reasons. As for the working environment, from my experience when all things were fairly equal (retail, a little above min wage, workers that are college aged) that there was a HUGE difference in the quality and morale of work done at the places that required a drug test than the places that didn't. If given the choice, I'd choose a place that required drug testing over a place that didn't based on my personal experiences in the past.
I would have to disagree with what you said. I work in online media, online/media/internet companies tend to be younger, more casual, more relaxed atmosphere. They tend to not drug test. So there's certain industries taht just tend not to drug test.

As for saying the quality of workplace and employee differes between drug testing and not drug testing. Part of it is probably the company. A company who drug tests has more money most likely than a company who doesn't. Working at best buy with a big corporation is going to drug test where as uncle al's electronics isn't going to. The bigger company is going to have more benefits and perks for employees and stuff so taht may play a role in what you found just as much as whether your coworkers did drugs or not.

Honestly anyone who smokes pot can pass a drug test if they want to, they can go to gnc and buy a detox drink or buy fake powder urine. I guess the one thing drug testing does is get rid of the real idiots b/c if you cant go to gnc and buy a juice drink to drink an hour before the drug test your really dumb.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default Then again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've never worked at a place that drug tested, and I wouldn't want to. Not that I couldn't pass the test, I could do that any day of the week, I just think that I'd rather be judged by my performance rather than my pee.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperblack View Post
I just took a drug test for a new job, but, I'm so so upset! My friend gave me one half of her valium before I even knew I would be offered this job I took the drug test and it has been 11 days since I took that half valium but i don't know if it will show up in my urine test??? Does anybody know? I have gone far to long with no job. I feel like kicking myself over this.
Your probably ok I wouldn't be taking drugs unless a doctor prescribed them to you and yeah they will test for valium but it was probably long gone in your system after 11 days.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I've never worked at a place that drug tested, and I wouldn't want to. Not that I couldn't pass the test, I could do that any day of the week, I just think that I'd rather be judged by my performance rather than my pee.
I've worked in both enviroments, the company I currently work for was a mess 20 years ago, I&E techs working on 480 volt breakers while messed up on crank, I've seen people using a cut off extention cord as a jumper while holding the cut off ends into a outlet, drug testing at my job has saved lives for sure, I would never choose my job by a stupid drug test but I do have a good work ethic, i believe I get paid good money to do a good job.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
It's a grocery store stocker, not a school bus driver, who cares if the guy smokes a joint in his free time instead of having a jack and coke.

If the job has to do with children or safety go ahead and drug test all you want but its getting ridiculous how much money companies are wasting on drug tests for jobs that really just dont matter whether the person does drugs or not.

Also, marijuana, the least harmful drug, yes even behind alcohol stays in your system for a month while cocaine, meth, etc is out in days or hours. I'd rather have a guy who smokes a doobie onthe weekend working for me than a cokehead or methhead yet they are the ones who could pass a drug test most easily.

Drug tests dont tell you anything, they are innacurate and it tells you waht someone does in their free time. What should be done is impairment tests. If you are impaired at work your fired and yes impaired means hungover too not just drunk.

I could not have said this any better myself! I understand drug testing someone who may appear to be under the influence, but other than that it is a violation of one's body! As long as it does not affect their work performance, what people do on their OWN time is their own damn business. Companies have gotten WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too picky when determining candidates, because of drug tests, credit checks, and now many test for tobacco (complete BS). This in addition to the outsourcing of jobs is a major issue as to why many Americans are unemployed! But I digress. It's funny that it's always the pothead that gets screwed, because it stays in your system the longest. Coke and meth are a million times more dangerous than pot, yet you can blow lines on Friday night, and pass a drug test on Tuesday. Umm hello, coke and meth will kill you as will alcohol if you take too much at one time. As will prescription, and over the counter drugs. You cannot overdose from smoking weed. You'd have to smoke your body weight, and it's virtually impossible. Furthermore, just because pot may show up in your system down the road after smoking it, it's effects only last a couple of hours.

These companies need to lighten up, and stop getting into people's personal lives. It's amazing for what you can get fired, or not get hired for. WTF, are we supposed be miserable, live under a rock, and not do anything in our lives???

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Several years ago I worked at a company that required drug testing for all its candidates. One new guy totally freaked out when his test came back positive and he swore up and down he never did ANY drugs. Ever. Then, lo and behold, it turned out he'd eaten a poppyseed bagel the morning of the test. Oh that's it, said the testing department and he got the job. No idea if his reasoning was real or bogus but it worked.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Several years ago I worked at a company that required drug testing for all its candidates. One new guy totally freaked out when his test came back positive and he swore up and down he never did ANY drugs. Ever. Then, lo and behold, it turned out he'd eaten a poppyseed bagel the morning of the test. Oh that's it, said the testing department and he got the job. No idea if his reasoning was real or bogus but it worked.
This sounds like an episode of Seinfeld to me, except the one swearing up and down was Eileen

Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,570 times
I used to work for this small company that just open up, it's like a door to door sell. The employer ask me did I smoke weed I say no, he asked me a couple more times than I finally say yes a couple weeks ago and he made my fiancé take the drug test for me just in case I fail. Is that illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search