U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 PM

54 posts, read 240,817 times

Advertisements

I just took a drug test for a new job, but, I'm so so upset! My friend gave me one half of her valium before I even knew I would be offered this job I took the drug test and it has been 11 days since I took that half valium but i don't know if it will show up in my urine test??? Does anybody know? I have gone far to long with no job. I feel like kicking myself over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,316,469 times
Read this:

Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM

54 posts, read 240,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Read this:

You mean I could have refused the test?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM

721 posts, read 2,561,803 times
They wont' be testing for valium they will be testing for marijuana, cocaine, opiats and amphetamintes probably not Benzodiazepines which is what a valium is. Also, valium can stay for up to 100 hours but is usually out of your body in 20 hours.

Companies are trying to save money so they are going to give you the cheapest drug test possible and it probably won't even test for valium, even if it does it mos tlikely is out of your system.

Don't take drug tests for work. It's an invasion of privacy and it could potentially be used to collect your dna or discriminate against you. For example, you can tell from a urine test if someone is pregnant, if so they may not hire you because they dont want you taking maternity leave, they can tell if you have diabetes and if so they wont hire you b/c you could spend their insurance money and cost the company money. Not saying these things happen but they could happen and thats why tests are an invasion of privacy. Use someone elses urine or buy fake urine even if you are clean.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,417,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperblack View Post
I just took a drug test for a new job, but, I'm so so upset! My friend gave me one half of her valium before I even knew I would be offered this job I took the drug test and it has been 11 days since I took that half valium but i don't know if it will show up in my urine test??? Does anybody know? I have gone far to long with no job. I feel like kicking myself over this.
First of all, why are you saying your friend gave you the valium? Did your friend force you to take it? Or did you take it voluntarily? You sound like you are blaming your friend for your compromised job prospects. That is not an attractive quality in a job candidate. Own up to your own actions and stop blaming your friends for things you did.

Second, the typical 5- and 10-panel drug tests look for illegal substances. Marijuana. Cocaine. LSD. Opiates. Benzodiazapenes (valium) are on more comprehensive panels, but 11 days after consumption, it would be out of your system. And even if it were still present, it wouldn't be strong enough to be flagged and reported to the employer. And employers are counseled to take into account legally prescribed drug use.

It shouldn't be an issue for you. But in the future, don't take drugs. Then you don't have to worry about mandated drug tests.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,486,762 times
I spent a lot of time in New Orleans working to put grocery stores back together after Katrina.

One day I was at a store that was almost reasdy to reopen. The store was having a job fair to restaff the store. I was standing near the interview table when the manager was talking to someone. He told him he was interested in him, but he needed to go take a drug test. The guy told the manager he had to go out of town and wanted to wait two weeks to take the test.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I spent a lot of time in New Orleans working to put grocery stores back together after Katrina.

One day I was at a store that was almost reasdy to reopen. The store was having a job fair to restaff the store. I was standing near the interview table when the manager was talking to someone. He told him he was interested in him, but he needed to go take a drug test. The guy told the manager he had to go out of town and wanted to wait two weeks to take the test.
I think in this day and age alot of bosses could kind of care less if an employee smokes pot. I'd rather have a guy who burns a joint after work than a guy who goes out and has a few shots and a few beers after work, taht guy who's drinking is less likely to show than the pot smoker.

I think alot of bosses realize pot isnt that bad, but that drug testing is something corporate requires, often time the companies insurance also requires it. I've known some bosses who actually will ask employees, I need you to take a drug test is that a problem? If the employee says yes the and the boss likes their experience thinks they would make a good employee will delay the drug test a week or two and give them time to pass.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,486,762 times
As they had a long line of people applying, I doubt they gave the pothead a second thoght.

In this day and age, there are a lot of unemployed people and companies don't have to hire potheads because they have a nice resume. There is a stack of nice resumes and they can hire someone else.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
As they had a long line of people applying, I doubt they gave the pothead a second thoght.

In this day and age, there are a lot of unemployed people and companies don't have to hire potheads because they have a nice resume. There is a stack of nice resumes and they can hire someone else.
It's a grocery store stocker, not a school bus driver, who cares if the guy smokes a joint in his free time instead of having a jack and coke.

If the job has to do with children or safety go ahead and drug test all you want but its getting ridiculous how much money companies are wasting on drug tests for jobs that really just dont matter whether the person does drugs or not.

Also, marijuana, the least harmful drug, yes even behind alcohol stays in your system for a month while cocaine, meth, etc is out in days or hours. I'd rather have a guy who smokes a doobie onthe weekend working for me than a cokehead or methhead yet they are the ones who could pass a drug test most easily.

Drug tests dont tell you anything, they are innacurate and it tells you waht someone does in their free time. What should be done is impairment tests. If you are impaired at work your fired and yes impaired means hungover too not just drunk.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,316,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
I'd rather have a guy who smokes a doobie onthe weekend working for me
I'd rather have a guy smoke a joint once a week rather than watch 20 hours of TV a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search