U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM

233 posts, read 534,055 times

Advertisements

Does a Masters' degree really help when trying to get a job?

After finishing my Bachelor's degree six years ago, I went back to school to pursue my Masters' degree. I have now had my Masters' degree (for 2 years now) but I haven't seen any changes when applying for jobs. I am pursuing a career in Parks and Recreation because I have a background in sports; played at the Division 1 level, and coached and was an athletic administrator at the high school and college level, so I have experience, but I have had a hard time getting interviews for Parks and Recs jobs that only ask for a Bachelor's degree, some even associate's degree.

Why isn't my Masters' helping me gain an interview or even the job or what I am I doing wrong?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM

141 posts, read 384,484 times
I work in a higher education facility and here at least a Bachelors is required to work in Human Resources; However when focusing in on a specialty that where the type of experience comes in at.

Here is MY opinion:

Market yourself in one of two ways - based on what you are qualified to do or on what you want to do.

You don't have to put down the fact that you have a Masters especially if it may help you to get the job (though with that hard work I would want to). When writing your CV if you include that you have a Masters highlight that you have both the experience and education to support your work.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or