U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,336,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbgal View Post
Few more pieces of advice:

* Stick with a chronological resume. Recruiters / Hiring Managers do not like functional resumes and find them too hard to read. You will be in the throw away pile if you do this.
This is false. Recruiters/Hiring managers like to read well crafted resumes, whether they are functional, chronological, or a combination of both. The general rule of thumb is to go chronological, but there are circumstances where this might not be the best case. For example: those with with limited work experience such as recent college grads, those who have gaps in their employment history, or those who worked for companies that fall in a different field from where they are currently applying, yet specific skills/accomplishments are relevant.

The whole point of a resume is to sell yourself. How you go about it is up to you as long as you list vital information. You need to be as descriptive as possible using the least amount of words. Large blocks of text are a bad thing on a resume; the more white space, the better-it's easier on the eyes and easier to read. It is also okay to go beyond the 'one page limit' if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbgal View Post
* Add Professional Summary / Headline Statement to your resume. This should outline and highlight your background and achievements. This can be a short paragraph, bullets, or a hybrid of both.
Agreed, and I'll add not to just copy/paste your cover letter in this section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,970,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
There is a job fair coming up and I'd like to have some feedback from you before I bring it in. I am on a serious job hunt and I feel like it's missing a few things, idk maybe I'm just paranoid. My cover letter is personalized to the positions I apply for (which aren't far off, mainly in the finance field) and the names and locations have been omitted.

I would like to express my interest in the Compliance Analyst position with (company name). Throughout my research I have come to respect the professionalism that characterizes your company and its employees and I am certain that my skills and experience combined with the vision of your company to do excellent work will serve to create spectacular, profitable results.

With my extensive background in banking and finance, I have a solid understanding of the policies relating to the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and Anti-Money Laundering regulations (AML). Equipped with adept researching and problem solving skills my objective has always been to demonstrate accuracy and efficiency as a regulatory compliance analyst. I am able to coordinate multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure. I am equally effective in working as a team member as well as individually on various projects and assignments. Energetic, positive and self motivated with strong written and verbal skills, I am convinced that I am the ideal candidate for this job.

Enclosed is a detailed resume and I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss employment. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

(my name)

Enclosure

EXPERIENCE

Company Name, City, state
Traveling Client Service Representative 04/2008-09/2009
• Provided financial and credit services to clients including consumer checking/savings, home equity/mortgage loans and personal loans throughout the various branches in the Northern New Jersey region.
• Researched and developed new sales tactics to aid in the increase of assets and profitability within the Northern New Jersey region.
• Analyzed client’s financial portfolio to recommend appropriate investments and tax strategies.
• Summarized weekly and monthly accounting and sales reports.
• Reviewed financial records to check for inaccurate figures and calculations on network database.
• Provided client support and built valuable relationships by implementing my interpersonal skills.
• Advised and educated clients regarding services and accounts.

Company Name, city, state Teller II 9/2005-11/2007
• Applied my technical skills to perform calculations, record details of financial transactions while implementing stellar customer service.
• Reviewed financial records to check for inaccurate figures and calculations.
• Consistently met sales referral expectations, generating $12,000 in closed referrals in a 3 month period.

Company Name, city, state
Teller I 5/2003-4/2005
• Led teller line in identifying proactive ways to continuously improve customer experiences.
• Applied my computer skills to perform calculations, record details of financial transactions.
• Provided customer support by implementing my interpersonal skills.

EDUCATION

Rutgers College, Rutgers University city, state
MBA in Finance Degree Candidate May 2013

CERTIFICATIONS/CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS

Personal Banker Workshops OFAC/Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering
IRA Training FDIC Training
Decedent Accounts Internal Sales Process/Sales Culture Development

ADDITIONAL SKILLS

Strong written and verbal communication skills Superb organizational skills
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point Adept in Mozilla Firefox/Internet Explorer and Photoshop
Bilingual (English, French)
  • Remove Firefox and Internet Explorer-- that is kind of like saying you have the ability to use a telephone these days.
  • Get rid of pronouns in the resume
  • I am not sure how the things you have done in your previous jobs really makes it sound like it is a fit for the compliance analyst role. You should elaborate more on that in your cover letter-- because your resume doesn't sound like you have done any kind of analyst level work
  • How would you actually create "create spectacular, profitable results?" Don't throw out powerful sounding statements if you are not following them up with how by hiring YOU they will achieve those results.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,942,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Traveling Client Service Representative 04/2008-09/2009
• Provided financial and credit services to clients including consumer checking/savings, home equity/mortgage loans and personal loans throughout the various branches in the Northern New Jersey region.
Way too much going on here. Your goal of bullet should be to show an example of how you were outstanding. If you keep "provided XXX service" back it up with how you did it better than your coworkers. Did customers ever fill out a customer service survey and rate you high? Was the service you provided ever mentioned in a annual review? Again show some examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search