Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,016 times

Advertisements

I have been on my second interview with a company. I just heard back a full week later that they want me to come back for a third. However, they did say that now there is expressed interest from an internal candidate.

Also my feedback was really good except I said that I didn't want to do any "personal assistant" stuff...shopping for wives birthdays etc. But I did say that I have no problem getting coffee or getting my boss lunch when he has back to back meetings. However, they seemed to have focused on THAT part. I think they didn't have an understanding as to where I draw the line from being an executive assistant and a girl Friday.

So, now I am up against an internal candidate plus I have to reiterate what I meant to another group of people (whom aren't the original people I interviewed with before) what I mean by not being a girl Friday.

What are my chances when an internal candidate is interested? Isn't there an unsaid bias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 PM

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Perhaps.......... but then again if the internal candidate was a definite front runner, wouldn't they have already been approached re the position before it was advertised?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 PM

No, this candidate came forward after my second interview...

Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
That's what I'm saying - they weren't an "obvious" first choice for the company when the position became vacant. I'd just go with it and do your best and put the internal candidate out of your mind.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That's what I'm saying - they weren't an "obvious" first choice for the company when the position became vacant. I'd just go with it and do your best and put the internal candidate out of your mind.
I agree. They may already know the internal candidate and how they would do in the job...in that case all you can do is just put your best effort forward.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
they seemed to have focused on THAT part.

You may be the more qualified candidate but, if they're looking for someone who will do "girl Friday" duties in addition to his/her "executive assistant" duties, they'll probably choose the less-qualified-but-more-willing-to-do-everything candidate. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Depends--- for example there was a job that was advertised at my place of employment. I thought about it for just over a month before applying. Others from that group had approached me about it slyly-- basically letting me know that they had posted it, etc. I just didn't really know if I really want to pursue it or not. After waiting for approximately five weeks and going over my options with a few friends I opted to go ahead apply.

I knew there had been some outside people considered (one was an acquaintance that I found out about via a conversation a a week or so ago), but it seems like I am now the top candidate. Granted I may not get the job, but I do know that the outside person has not been forwarded for additional interviews per some of her conversation.

So not to say that the folks who had the job would just automatically not think the internal candidate is not an obvious choice, but may the internal candidate had to consider it before applying. It is usually cheaper to hire the internal person-- they know the culture, usually know the people involved, know the systems, etc.

BUT-- I have also experienced where the internal candidates just did not have enough skills to move into certain roles and then the outside candidates were hired above the internal ones. It just depends on your skills, interviews, personality (we would all be remiss if we didn't think that personality also influences who will get the offer, etc), and other factors.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Can't hurt to stay interested. Even if they hire the internal person, you're on their radar screen as a good prospect. Something else might come up, or the internal person might turn out to be a poor candidate. I do think a hiring manager should give first consideration to an internal person ("loyalty," imagine that) but if qualifications aren't right, then of course they should continue outward. Best wishes.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
they seemed to have focused on THAT part.

You may be the more qualified candidate but, if they're looking for someone who will do "girl Friday" duties in addition to his/her "executive assistant" duties, they'll probably choose the less-qualified-but-more-willing-to-do-everything candidate. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!
I agree and I think you're dodging a potential bullet. It seems they've gotten the impression that you're no pushover (since you set a standard), and must assume the internal candidate may bend over backwards to be manipulated. Chances are if that's what they really want, if you do get the job, you might be the "personal assistant" more often than you anticipate, and might not be happy in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search