U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,652,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Must be where you are located.

The healthcare system up the street from me has 42 openings for nurses.

8 positions for nursing management

32 for nursing support (LPNs, Nursing Assistants, etc)
Keep in that seeing postings isn't always a good sign. Certain industries prefer to hire cheaper foreign workers. But in order to get visas approved for them, they have to show that they couldn't find anyone here. My industry (IT) is notorious for this. They'll post a job opening that asks for everything under the sun. Since no one can meet those requirements, the employer can then claim they weren't able to find any qualified Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM

11,951 posts, read 21,539,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Keep in that seeing postings isn't always a good sign. Certain industries prefer to hire cheaper foreign workers. But in order to get visas approved for them, they have to show that they couldn't find anyone here. My industry (IT) is notorious for this. They'll post a job opening that asks for everything under the sun. Since no one can meet those requirements, the employer can then claim they weren't able to find any qualified Americans.
Foreign nurses make more than their US counterparts once recruited so that is not really the case.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM

358 posts, read 947,939 times
I agree. It's all about the budget, which nursing homes and hospitals follow very strictly. There is a need, but places just can't afford to hire on new-hires. Except: from my internship at a nursing home days, nurses are a dime a dozen. Nurses quit or get fired. So the only new-hires are replacements, not new positions filled.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,671,429 times
I actually have a very close friend that is a recent grad from nursing diploma program and is licensed in New Jersey and has reciprocity in Connecticut. I think they are going to get reciprocity for New York as well. They been looking for work in those states for the last 9 months and as far as they tell me, they haven't been able to find a job at all in the area. In fact they told me that they've have only 2 interview in that time. They've stated to me that they signed up on a couple of hiring website to receive email alerts of jobs for "new grads." They told me that most of the time when they get the emails that most of the jobs are in the lower Midwest and Texas and a few in the south. But nothing in the northeast area. Even if they do get a email that includes nursing jobs in the northeast, the hospital/companies that are hiring are looking for BSN graduates not A.S. or diploma programs. So basically at this point they feel pretty upset that they went through all the training and sleepless night of studying and really in the end do not prospects of a job in the near future.
It's very sad to see someone that did as much work as they did not achieve or have no real prospect to achieve a job in a noble profession. But as we all know right now the economy is tight everywhere and a lot of people are suffering as well. So I guess it just the way of the world at this moment.
Anyways as far as I know their debt load is not as bad as someone that has a BSN. It really just more of a aggravation for them to be paying for a diploma and license that is not (at this point) worth the paper it is printed on. Granted as of this date they are continuing to press on with the job search and still have some hope that some one will give them a chance.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,865,760 times
Ever notice how right before the end of the fiscal year some executive review is done and managment through skilled leadership determines those funded positions are no longer needed? By their great management skills, they are able to eliminate those positions saving X dollars. That savings may mean a big bonus for management by being fiscally responsible. Right after the new year, suddenly new funded positions open up again just be be eliminated again with another bonus.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 PM

750 posts, read 1,295,418 times
The issue with nursing is those nurses can not retire. Their DH has lost his job he is in his 50's. He has been looking for a year or maybe two. He has found nothing or maybe something at half his old pay. It will take 10 to 15 to get their nest egg back in shape. Lots of women go to nursing school after their marriages break up. It is a good way to end a living for a single woman. So they often do not even think about retiring. On top of this you have alot of older women who go to nursing school. If you start nursing in your 40's your not even looking to retire till 70. My Mom knew an old diploma RN nurse who worked in to her 70's. She worked 5 to 8 days a month. She needed the cash to help with living cost. Yet another worked full time till 71. She did not start nursing till 40. As the cost of living rises more everyday. You will see more nurses who are up in their 60's and 70's working part time they will need the cash. They are bringing nurses over on the H1C from overseas. Those numbers will go up. You have a backlog of new grads who did not find work in 09. Well now you have 10 grads coming out. The colleges are flooding the market they could careless if the new grads find work. Diploma trained RNs make some of the best nurses IMHO.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,941,671 times
I googled Prime Staffing, LLC and got:

is the fastest growing staffing Agency in NYC! We place both Per Diem and Travel Nurses for 13 week assignments! 2 years of RN experience required, BSN preferred.

lol, they never said any of that in the article...

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,302,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I googled Prime Staffing, LLC and got:

is the fastest growing staffing Agency in NYC! We place both Per Diem and Travel Nurses for 13 week assignments! 2 years of RN experience required, BSN preferred.

lol, they never said any of that in the article...

Gosh and they wonder why they have "more jobs than applicants"

whatevah

Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The issue with nursing is those nurses can not retire. Their DH has lost his job he is in his 50's. He has been looking for a year or maybe two. He has found nothing or maybe something at half his old pay. It will take 10 to 15 to get their nest egg back in shape. Lots of women go to nursing school after their marriages break up. It is a good way to end a living for a single woman. So they often do not even think about retiring. On top of this you have alot of older women who go to nursing school. If you start nursing in your 40's your not even looking to retire till 70. My Mom knew an old diploma RN nurse who worked in to her 70's. She worked 5 to 8 days a month. She needed the cash to help with living cost. Yet another worked full time till 71. She did not start nursing till 40. As the cost of living rises more everyday. You will see more nurses who are up in their 60's and 70's working part time they will need the cash. They are bringing nurses over on the H1C from overseas. Those numbers will go up. You have a backlog of new grads who did not find work in 09. Well now you have 10 grads coming out. The colleges are flooding the market they could careless if the new grads find work. Diploma trained RNs make some of the best nurses IMHO.
What Does It Cost to Hire a New Employee?

I think also the cost of hiring "new" workers is currently weighing heavily on a lot of business right now. From what I understand from my friend is that even though you get a lot of clinical time on the floor in school, A "new" nurse also has to be proctored by another RN for a couple of months when hired. So I'm thinking the cost associated with that may keep hospitals/medical centers from hiring new grads.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,281,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Gosh and they wonder why they have "more jobs than applicants"

whatevah
BINGO!! Health care employers are after EXPERIENCED RN's, not new graduate RN's. The ladder are now a dime a dozen and if one finds a job in a hospital, she is lucky and probably was selected from hundreds of other applicants.

It is really sad that so many people are quitting other careers to get into nsg, only to get their license/degree and find that noone will give them a chance, all the while there are ads for EXPERIENCED RN's all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search